Upper Control Arm Bushings

1ryanb

Original poster
Feb 2, 2014
So I need to replace my upper control arm bushings (looks like it should have been done a while ago…oops). How difficult is this going to be? Does anyone have any tips? i.e. just go ahead and replace the whole upper control arm while I’m there anyways, etc. RockAuto has just the bushings for like $12, but the whole upper control arm isn’t much more expensive. From a labor standpoint if it’s just best to do the whole thing now I’m fine with that. My TB has almost 130k miles on it, but I’ve only owned it for about 2 years so I have no idea what was done previously. Pics are attached so you can see what I’m talking about. All are on the passenger side. Driver’s side isn’t as bad but it will need them shortly as well.
PassFront1.png
PassFront2.png
PassFront3.png
PassFront4.png

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I changed the bushings and if I were to do it again, I would just swap the arms. I had to torch out the bushings and just took too much time and trouble. Same for the lowers.

Reactions: Robbabob

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And a video on how to remove/replace the control arm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZGr8Xf2ip8

Reactions: Mounce

1ryanb

Original poster
Feb 2, 2014
You guys are awesome as always, thank you! At this point I'm leaning towards just replacing the entire arm. I think it'll be slightly easier and I don't want to have to mess with this again for a while.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Slightly? Nah, it is FAR easier and new upper arms don't cost that much anyway. Well worth the little extra money to make your life 10x easier. Just swap and done. No muss no fuss.

Either way you go you'll have to fight those bolts a bit and bend the inner fender sheet metal back some to get them out. They put the suspension together at the factory, then dropped the body on top, and didn't pay attention to the lack of room to remove the bolts. Not a big deal but something to be aware of. Some people cut the sheet metal back but I just used some vise grips and bent it out of the way. You won't see the bends/cuts from the outside.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online