Uneven brake wear

kdannyk

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Ever since I replaced my wheel hub I'm getting uneven break wear. There will be two spots all the way across the break pad that doesn't seem to be touching as much. I made a picture and attached it bellow of what it's doing. The yellow circle would be were the pad isn't touching and leaving a high spot on my rotor. When i'm driving down the road I can hear my brake pad/ Hub squeak with out touching the brakes.

Attachments

• Brake wear.png
    Brake wear.png
    140.3 KB · Views: 5

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Pic did not work.

Are your pins/slides greased? Did you get any grease on the pad or something that might have affected the pad?

kdannyk

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
There's no grease on the brake pads. The pins slide are greased. They seem to slide fine.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Did you push in the caliper pistons when you removed it for the hub swap? Could be stuck or cocked piston.

kdannyk

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
It there are two ridges on the entire length of the break pad that are not touching.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Funny, I've got the exact same thing happening with my passengers side, inner side. Noticed it when Regulator and I changed the CV axle last week. No idea why it happened when I changed pads this time. When I changed pads and rotors last time, there were no issues.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
kdannyk said:
It there are two ridges on the entire length of the break pad that are not touching.
Possible to snag a photo? Could the pad have shifted when everything was reassembled?

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
Mounce said:
Have you inspected your rotor?
Good call by Mounce. I just had a rotor develop a hard spot on another vehicle I own. Threw a ton of noise when rolling at low speeds. Worst part was that the pads/rotors had less than 10,000 miles on them... Anyway, pull the rotor from the offending side and have a good look.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Only reason I brought that up is because I have no clue how uneven pad wear like your case could be blamed on a wheel bearing. Wheel bearing won't keep two parts of the pad from wearing. At least I don't see how it can. Maybe grab a pic of the offending pad for us when you have it apart.

When I changed my front brakes, both inner pads were worn out but the outters still had 1000+ miles to go.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Is the hub seated fully? If it was in the bore crooked somehow it could make the pads not ride evenly on the rotor. Basically stuff would be out of parallel.

Could also be a hard spot in the rotor casting as mentioned that caused some weird pad wear, that then just gets worse as time goes on.

Reactions: Mooseman

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Mounce said:
Only reason I brought that up is because I have no clue how uneven pad wear like your case could be blamed on a wheel bearing. Wheel bearing won't keep two parts of the pad from wearing. At least I don't see how it can. Maybe grab a pic of the offending pad for us when you have it apart.

When I changed my front brakes, both inner pads were worn out but the outters still had 1000+ miles to go.

If the old bearing has slop in it it could've masked the underlying brake issue. With the new hub being right and true, now you can feel it. Or the uneven wear could've been caused by slop in the bearing originally. Doesn't take a lot. If that rotor had just a tick of wobble to it with the old bearing, that'd do it

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online