Underhood temps 5.3

warriorpluto

Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
This thing gets a lot hotter than the 4.2. How do I get the underhood temps down? It's like I'm running headers or something. Never had a vehicle that got this hot under the hood. I have a 99 trans am with stainless steel headers and it's not that hot under the hood like my envoy.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Yep, mine runs hotter than I think it should by the way it feels, but it is stock except for Jeremy's tune. Runs good, gives decent mileage for what it is... Eh, it is what it is.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe the aluminum block is like a giant heat sink and dissipates heat more.

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
Is it intake temps that you think are too high, or just an overall feeling that it's too hot when you open the hood.

As long as the coolant temp is normal and the intake temp is reasonable your OK.

warriorpluto

Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
AWD V8 said:
Is it intake temps that you think are too high, or just an overall feeling that it's too hot when you open the hood.

As long as the coolant temp is normal and the intake temp is reasonable your OK.
Just a feeling that it's too hot when opening the hood. Even the hood prop is too hot to touch. Never experienced that on my other vehicles. I'm mainly worrying about the life of the electronics since they are exposed to so much heat. I was about to purchase an engine cover, but I'm having second thoughts now.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have the cover and leave it off at most times. Just worried about air circulation and the alternator.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online