Uh oh.... I think the tranny is shot :(

chatterx

Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
After 5 years of faithful service the trailblazer finally broke down at 174,000 miles. I bought it at 84,000 so no clue about before. It appears the transmission is in need of a rebuild. What is happening is I can maybe go about 100 - 150 yards in any gear and then after that it just slips. Turn it off and let it sit for 30 seconds and I can go another 100 or so yards.

I got a quote of 1800 for a rebuild with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. Cheapest quote I got was 1300 but thats no mention of a warranty. The 1800 guy has quite a few 5 star reviews and has been in business for 30 years so I believe this is a safe option.

I spoke to the owner of the business and he told me that mor than likely there is so much metal in the pan that its clogging the filter and when I shut it off the backflow is unclogging it.

So here is my questions......

Is 1800 a good price for this job done right? If there is metal in the pan that is clogging the filter would it be advisable to change the filter and continue use of the vehicle if working or is it just best to just get it rebuilt and not worsen the situation? I am not rushed to get it fixed right away as I have a vehicle that my sister loaned me for a few months cause 1800 is a tax time item for sure lol.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If there is metal in the pan, it's toast.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
First, drop the pan as mentioned and have a look. No lies will be told there!
Plenty 'o pieces of my planetary gear were down at the bottom of that pan when it was dropped. It wasn't pretty.

If you have the tools and skills, a cheaper alternative might be to find and buy a rebuilt trans and install it yourself. They're all over craigslist and usually come with a warranty. There are a few transmission shops here in FL that sell them and I should have considered that option before spending $2400 on my rebuild.

And yes, I think $1800 is pretty good for a rebuild w/ warranty.

Reactions: chatterx

chatterx

Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
Yeah I am at least going to drop the pan and have a look. Thats about the best I can do with my current situation.

I am not too savvy when it comes to 4x4's. I mainly have worked on FWD vehicles but I forgot to mention this in my original post. I was in a situation where I had to switch it in 4 LO and it wouldn't change over till after a few tries (haven't used 4x4 since last year). It wasn't long after using that is when the transmission started this. It wasn't anything major I put the vehicle through. Just a little incline that was muddy. Coincidence?

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
I'd think that changing gear drives is more related to a dirty switch, actuator or encoder. If it took a few tries, it could have been that it wasn't used in a while and needed the cobwebs cleared out. I could be wrong though.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I bought a Fully Re-Manufactured 4L60E with some additional costs for "Drive-Way Delivery" that came with a 3 Year Warranty AND included the Torque Converter for the Deal via eBay and was VERY satisfied with the replacement. They validate the warranty as soon as they receive your core on return and if you check the video shown at the bottom of their advertisement... you can see that they dynamically bench test all of their Re-Man Units:
PTGTRANSMISSION1.jpg PTGTRANSMISSION2.jpg

This place is located in Texas and I could not find a better deal anywhere either locally or through the national chain companies. I installed it myself and saved the balance of what the labor would be at a local shop...but this install is not an easy one and moderate mechanical skill and specialty equipment are necessary to do the job right.

You don't list the Make/Model/Sub-Model/Year or other vehicle data in your Profile...so I searched this out as a 2005 Trailblazer just to give you an idea of what the transmission will cost.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-Chevro...ash=item4d4cb00128:g:8GEAAOSw8gVX~9x9&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

chatterx

Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
Sorry, I thought it showed up in my signature or something. Its a 2004 6 cylinder. No special trim or anything

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Sounds like it may be starving of fluid...hopefully.

Most importantly, don't keep trying to make it move if it slips.

At that mileage, the separator plate can be suspect. Like before mentioned . ....drop the pan and let us know what's in there .

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Forgot to mention the filter could be getting clogged or your fluid is low.

Curious to see what's in the pan.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Couldn't he also do a 6L80 conversion? I don't remember if that's am option on the I6.

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
well $1800 to have it fixed is very reasonable if that includes the labor to r&r. if it's just for the trans, it's kinda steep. pricing is all location dependent though. here in marin county (sf bay area) everything is expensive and it's about $3k to have trans removed, rebuilt, and reinstalled by the shop. on the other hand i can order a 4l60e from oreilly for about $1300 but then i have to pay labor... hundreds of $ more.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
If the trans ends up being toast, you can also get one from the dealer and they come with a 3 year 100K nationwide warranty regardless who installs it.

chatterx

Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
I am totally hoping that its just a clogged filter or something. I wont know till this weekend when I can pull the pan. I am 100% positive it has fluid in it. I paid a mechanic to change the tranny filter at about 130,000. I am really curious as to if he did or not now :sadcry:

If it is toast I will look at my options as to getting a replacement or a rebuild. Either way I cannot do the job myself as I do not have the proper tools nor the space to do such a chore.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Not sure of your intentions but I would strongly advise to not drive it until you can pull the pan.

chatterx

Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
oh no its parked outside my apartment. I have my sisters car until I can get this fixed. That would take forever to get somewhere having to stop every 100 to 300 yards lol

chatterx

Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
Alrighty. Was finally able to get the pan off today. Here is a pic of everything that was in the pan. Just a bunch of metal sludge as you can see. There does seem to be a few larger chunks however upon further examination of them its clumps of sludge.

The filter.... oh my god... The spongy part was completely black and hard as hell.

Attachments

• 20161220_132041.jpg
    20161220_132041.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 67

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
Toasted. See if you can go to a pick and pull and grab one for cheap money. Need to flush as well, a lot of that is definitely in the lines I bet too

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I'm thinking it still may have a chance, not sold on it being toasted......put a new filter in and add fluid. If then it doesn't move then look for other options.

Normal clutch material in pan, not sure of the other piece but if you can get a close up pic of that other piece that would help.

You really worked the clutches trying to move it when it gave out, but I don't think all hope is lost yet.

Get a deep pan filter from the dealer and give it a try.....I would.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Could be the filter that was clogged. If it was failed, you would see shiny metal, not just black sludge. I'd also give the new filter and fluid a try. Al flush as per this video should also be done to be sure to get rid of all that skanky fluid.

This method is slightly different but easier

Reactions: gmcman

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Yeah I still feel it was fluid starvation, I would go get a jug of Valvoline maxlife...give it a shot. If all is good, I would drive it for a couple hundred miles and then flush per the video.

chatterx

Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
I really hope it was fluid starvation. I wont know till my computer is back from Lime Swap. The transmission has plenty of power when I am able to go that 100 or so yard distance and then it just slips. All gears work, it does shift itself in that length too.

All of that you see in the tub is sludge except for that chunk in the middle. I cleaned it and looked at it. It was a piece of aluminum probably about as thick as a quarter and 1/8 long. I didnt get a pic of it though before disposing of the fluid.

If all is good after this and I go to flush this after a few hundred miles could I just use this wal mart brand fresh gallon of dexron III I have and then go with the good stuff? I have put a new filter in. I just havent added any fluid yet. How much fluid is needed for a filter change? Flush? I've seen people saying to use dexron VI. My filter says to use it too. Should I go with that after a flush?

Worse case scenario I will either buy a reman and have it installed or I will have mine rebuilt. I am prepared for that hit. But if I can avoid I am going to do it for sure. I think it would be wise though that if this filter change does work to keep some funds back for an eventual failure. Who knows what damage was done during the starvation that will cause major things later.

Many thanks for the replies guys. Class A help here!

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Yeah, any piece of aluminum is bad. Good thing that you didn't have a pan full of parts, but the nugget is a cause for concern.

Hopefully its just a piece of the casting, not something from the pump...could be from around the dipstick tube....now a chunk of steel would be far more worrisome.

If that were mine, a gallon of fluid and a filter are far cheaper than a replacement trans..I would try that.

Don't dog on it until you have cleaned it out and have a fresh fluid flush.

chatterx

Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
I was thinking it could be a piece of the casting. Who knows. I was amazed at the intricacy of whats just in the pan area

chatterx

Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
Got the computer back yesterday and put it in this morning and well..... I got some good news and some bad news. The trailblazer is mobile again. I drove it for about 12 miles shifting through all the gears and such. Got up to a speed of 55 on a local road, drove around town in traffic. It has great takeoff and at first all seemed to be shifting ok till towards the end. I can get on it a bit (meaning take off a lil bit faster than normal) and it will shift kinda hard into second but sometimes it slips and then gently goes into second it seems

Fluid level is ok.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Remember what I said about waiting until you put some miles on it...don't dog it especially full throttle upshifts. You have given it a lease on life so don't compromise it.

Take it easy for a few hundred miles, then flush the fluid. You likely have a glaze on the clutches, most importantly the 2-4 band.

Once the band is gone, that's it..it will need to be rebuilt.

There are things you can do once the fluid is flushed, you could add a boost valve or change out the servos in the side of the trans. The servos would allow you to have more holding pressure on the band without raising line pressure...I like doing it that way first.

Mine had a 2-3 flare at around 160K and I thought it was a goner.It would slip going into 3rd and it turned out to be a worn separator plate. Changing that along with a couple servos, I now have 248K and it still shifts good. My point is don't throw in the towel on these transmissions when they start to slip, sometimes then can be helped along and in your case I think it can.

If it has a lazy shift in 2nd, see if it's also lazy into 4th...not the lockup, but the 3-4 shift. Once you get that pan drop fluid change you just did, circulated through the clutches for a few hundred miles, flush the fluid and see what happens.

At your mileage I would change the separator plate. .. (get it from the dealer) and add the vette servo or even better, the super hold servo. You can get a super hold servo for both 2nd and 4th but they are pricey, however they can be swapped to another trans later if you wish.

What you want to do is avoid excessive slipping, this will wear and glaze the clutch material. Take it easy for awhile and get the fluid flushed, then let us know what happens.

Most importantly....if it starts to slip, get off the gas. Let the gear fully engage and then accelerate.

If it will hold 4th gear on a good hill, under light acceleration and not slip....that's a good sign.

chatterx

Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
Thanks for the advice. I will do as advised and flush n fill after a few hundred miles. Should I keep it close to home till that flush? Or I could just keep 60 bucks on hand for a tow just in case it goes out in that timeframe lol.

Is changing the separator plate and easy task as well as the servos? I assume you mean corvette servos. Is there a part number?

Last edited:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
The plate will wear over time, the check balls hammer the plate and can possibly lead to pressure loss.

You need to remove the valve body, not that difficult just tedious with all the bolts, then it goes between the valve body and the trans. If you have issues after all is said and done, it's an option.

The vette servo is installed through the round cover on the pass side of the trans. You lower the trans crossmember and the tail of the trans will lower enough to access the cover...no need to remove driveshaft.

You have a couple options, you can only change to the vette servo which is the cheapest, or you can use the Sonnax 2ND gear super hold servo, which provides 18% more holding power than the vette servo. Also you can add the Sonnax 4th gear super hold servo which the 2nd and 4th servo go in under the same cover. If you have some extra coin, that's the way to go.

Remember, you can use those servos in another trans so it's not money wasted if all else fails.

The trans I believe will shift slightly firmer at higher throttle settings, normal driving should shift slightly firmer than just a light pedal just trying to get it to shift into 2nd at a low speed.

Not sure how your PCM was setup in regards to shift firmness or line pressures so get with Limequat if you are unsure.

If I were you, I would drive around for a tank or 2 of fuel, no jack rabbit starts or full throttle up or down shifts. Then when it's time to flush, pull the pass side trans cooler line and use I believe a 5/16 or 3/8 ID hose....not sure, and place it over the cooler line into a 5 gal bucket....home depot or ace have them cheap.

Start engine until the fluid starts to sputter then shut off, add 4 -5 quarts and repeat 2 more times.

Should take about 13 quarts so four 1 gal jugs should be good. Max life is avail from advanced, you could use the wally world blue bottle I suppose at first. I used the Super tech once when my trans was acting up also but have since used Maxlife.

chatterx

Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
ok just an update here. i was going to take it out my friends which is about 13 miles out. got about halfway and i lost 3rd. I had to put it in second and limp it home. I would manually shift to third and it would shift to third but there is no power whatsoever. Got it home and checked the fluid. It was about halfway between the two holes.

I also want to clarify on my earlier post. it was third that it was slipping in when in drive.. not second. That was an error

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Well, losing 3rd needless to say isn't good, I guess you have a couple options. You could throw in the towel and spend the $1800 in which I agree isn't a bad deal for an R&R with rebuild...which is likely inevitable. The other option would be to pull the valve body and see if you punched a check ball through the separator plate.

The issue is how much driving has been done with it losing a gear, how much life do you have left IF the separator plate is the cause or your 3rd accumulator which could be the checkball capsule.

The only sign of life I see is before it would go a few hundred yards, now it went a few miles.

How much driving could you do after the filter change in 3rd or even 4th before you realized you didn't have 3rd?

What would be a bummer is the possibility of having life left and not realizing it, but just a few hours of labor to check.

Does the fluid smell burnt? What color is the fluid?

Are you up for removing the valve body to see what's going on? Not hard to do just some drips of tranny fluid on your head and a bunch of bolts.

If that were mine, I would pull the valve body and see what was going on. If you have a worn plate then that could be the problem but odds are not in your favor....worth a look IMO.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I've gotten some good tips from this thread should my aftermarket warranty company balk at replacing the tranny in my truck. Today while heading to the woods for one of the last few days of deer archery season, I noticed some RPM flares that I didn't like. Checked the fluid - on the stick, a little low, but not bad. Hunted for a couple of hours but it was nagging at me so I headed home via my warranty mechanic buddy. (He does any warranty work. If they don't pay, I do it myself. Except for the heater core. He did that for dirt cheap so I let him.) It is slipping through all gears and it got worse the farther I drove.

I made it home with the tranny fluid temp just about equaling the water temp of 195. I do know that I have watched tranny fluid temps and they aren't that high at this time of year for the amount of driving I did, so there was some serious slippage going on. That's where she'll sit until I hear from my buddy. If the tranny doesn't get replaced, I'll do a complete fluid/filter change and replace the separator plate. If that seems to work somewhat, I'll try the servos. 2005 with 177K on the clock and I'd like to keep her around for a while longer.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Well, losing 3rd needless to say isn't good, I guess you have a couple options. You could throw in the towel and spend the $1800 in which I agree isn't a bad deal for an R&R with rebuild...which is likely inevitable. The other option would be to pull the valve body and see if you punched a check ball through the separator plate.

The issue is how much driving has been done with it losing a gear, how much life do you have left IF the separator plate is the cause or your 3rd accumulator which could be the checkball capsule.

The only sign of life I see is before it would go a few hundred yards, now it went a few miles.

How much driving could you do after the filter change in 3rd or even 4th before you realized you didn't have 3rd?

What would be a bummer is the possibility of having life left and not realizing it, but just a few hours of labor to check.

Does the fluid smell burnt? What color is the fluid?

Are you up for removing the valve body to see what's going on? Not hard to do just some drips of tranny fluid on your head and a bunch of bolts.

If that were mine, I would pull the valve body and see what was going on. If you have a worn plate then that could be the problem but odds are not in your favor....worth a look IMO.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest yesterday as well, but deleted the post as I felt it was 'too' long. As gmcman said - you *may* get lucky and find the 2-3 checkball has pushed through the plate (partially or fully). Even if it takes you a full day to get the VB and the separator plate off to check, it's way cheaper than immediately shelling out for the rebuild.

Actually, you may not even need to remove the separator plate, if the checkball is stuck in the plate, or punched through it entirely - you'll see that checkball missing in the VB, and / or sticking in the hole in the plate.

If you get lucky, and that's the case...fix the problem (including a new hardened separator plate), put it back together (make sure you don't mix up the bolts for the VB - they're different lengths!), and you may get a little more life out of her.

If not - you're only out time, fluid (and maybe a filter, depending on how long the current one's been in the trans). You can drive it in 2nd ('2' on the selector) if you need to keep it on the road, until you've got the scratch for the rebuild.

If you do wind up rebuilding...

- Consider getting a hardened sunshell (the 'Beast' shells are the way to go here), and a HD 3-4 clutch pack / steels. Those are two of the three weakest points of the 4L60, which is otherwise considered an excellent auto trans - one of the best ever, from GM or anyone else.

- You'll also want to get a good 2-4 (intermediate) band. I'd stay away from the Kevlar bands - they're really aggressive, and most people who put them in on performance builds tend to regret it, and often have to replace them - plus they don't hold as well (being too hard to grip the input drum, and causing wear on the drum, especially one that's been in-service awhile). The Borg-Warner 'High-Energy' (which I now have) is supposed to be the same one that the dealer sells as a 'performance / heavy-duty' band. Alto also makes a couple of nice bands - very highly rated.

- Replace any plastic accumulator / forward pistons with aluminum ones. Sonnax makes pinless ones, if you want to eliminate a potential wear spot, and increase the holding power a little more before each shift (firmer). The plastic ones tend to form stress cracks where they move back and forth on the pin, and eventually crumble, creating harsh shifts - so don't reuse them.

- Put a NEW Torque Converter on. NOT a rebuilt one. Yes, it will cost a little more than a rebuild. Just get a new one. Unless you're running the truck really hard all the time, or towing, you can stay with an OEM / equivalent. Otherwise, you could put one in with a slightly higher stall speed - I have a 3200 stall in mine. IIRC, the stock ones in our trucks are 2400-2600.

- Finally, take care of the TCC / PWM issue - by disabling it. The first way is TransGo's shift kit (4L60-SK2 - 'orange box') - they replace that valve with one that converts the PWM to an 'on / off' function, instead of continuously slipping the converter (and wearing the bore in the VB that the valve sits in.) I have this, and it works as advertised.
If your TCC bore is worn, you either need a new VB, or have the Sonnax kit installed - which provides an oversized valve, via reaming the bore. The Sonnax reamer is expensive, so only go this option if your rebuilder already has the reamer, and experience using it - if he has the reamer, he'll probably want to go with the Sonnax option. A lot of people prefer the Sonnax option - but many here have done the TransGo version, and find it works fine / lasts just as long as the Sonnax option.

- Use a good synthetic Dexron VI - Valvoline makes a good one that won't break the bank. Make SURE you put enough in - the owner's / service manuals call for 5 qts for a regular 'pan drop' exchange - but if you have the truck down for a long time, you may have more than that drip out. Be careful - I wasn't, and ruined all the work I had done on my own putting in the shift kit. An expensive lesson, to be sure.

And after the new trans is in - especially if you plan on holding onto the truck - get a good external trans cooler - like a stacked plate, which is the most efficient type. You don't need a huge one - I run one of the smaller Derale coolers, and it keeps the fluid at about 150F - without going through the radiator first. The lower you can keep the fluid temps - the longer the fluid

Yes, this is a lot of info. Hopefully it helps you when it comes time to do your rebuild. Maybe you'll be lucky, and you won't have to rebuild yours.

Reactions: gmcman

chatterx

Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
The fluid is pretty much the same color as new. No burnt smell. It did have third and fourth but after a few miles it would just only shift into third and then no power.

I appreciate that vast amount of information you guys have provided. I honestly think my best option is to throw in the towel and have it towed to the transmission place. What I will do is have him look at the things you have mentioned, especially the separator plate. If thats not the case then he will already have the vehicle there and we will start the either the replacement or rebuild process.

A rebuild he quoted 1800 but a replacement costs 1100 and I have no clue what he would charge to swap them. I need to get that estimate and it may be more feasible to go that route. I plan on keeping the vehicle for years to come so in the long run a rebuild or replacement with a 100,000 3 year warranty would be a good thing

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I saw the times for my 4WD V8 for tranny R&R at 9.7 w/o skid plate and 10.2 with. I would imagine that the I6 is similar.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
If the replacement is rebuilt it will cost nearly the same but will be quicker since it is built.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
If it went from going into 3rd and 4th with no slipping, then all of a sudden no 3rd and 4th, with no signs of slipping, that could be the shift solenoid.

If you're mechanically inclined, the valve body is not much more difficult than getting to and removing the valve cover on this motor

Either way, let us know what they find out. Hopefully the trans shop is honest, I just hate hearing that...."It has X- amount of miles..., much more life than average and they normally don't last this long" Or, " I'm surprised it lasted this long"

A competent technician should be able to explore your options.

chatterx

Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
This is where I will be taking it http://www.beussinktransmission.com/. They are about 45 miles from me. I have researched them and it looks like five stars across the board with many reviews attached to them. They are even BBB accredited. The guy who towed me home highly recommended them. I have even called local auto shops and thats all their recommendation.

I will let you know what they say. Dont lock this topic cause I wont be able to take it to them till about end of january lol. I really do appreciate the help but I just dont have the time or resources to chase the issue down at the moment.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
They look like a reputable shop to me, based on what I see on their website. Reality may prove different, but what I see on the web and your description doesn't make me shy away, to be sure.

Since you're going to be a few weeks out from taking it in, if you're feeling up to it, you can swap the shift solenoids out, as gmcman suggested - you won't even need to remove the VB to replace them. They're even interchangeable - so as a test, you could swap them, see if the symptoms change, and then replace one or both as needed (actually, if you do find an issue, I'd just replace both, and since they're interchangeable, if the symptoms persist, just leave them swapped, rather than drop the pan yet again to put them back where they were). Also, drain your existing fluid into a clean container, so you can recover as much as possible - it's effectively new right now, so no point in disposing of what's in there.

The solenoids are held in by a wire retainer, so you'll need a small diameter pick (a hook-style works best) to get them out. If you find the clip 'facing' the wrong end, they can be spun around fairly easily. Then use the pick to pull them out once the 'flat' end is facing you.

Examine the solenoids when you pull them - there's a mesh screen surrounding the surface of the one end. If it looks clogged, you can try cleaning them (although given what you've described so far, I don't think they'll be covered in gunk, etc.) If the O-rings are really worn or broken, I'd replace the solenoid - fluid leaking past those O-rings affects shift quality. Or replace the O-ring(s) - but make sure you get the right size / diameter. IIRC, there's two on each solenoid.

When you reinsert them, the flat end of the retaining clip can stay on the side facing you - you don't have to spin the clip around back to the way you found it. Just make sure that it positively engages on the groove of the solenoid - you'll know.) If you do one at a time, you'll more easily remember which 'slot' on the valve body that the clip goes into on reassembly. Also, you'll need to give them a little bit of a 'push' to seat them - you'll hear them snap into place when they seat (same applies when removing them).

Remove the wire harness from them before trying to pull them out of the VB. The harness isn't 'fragile', but don't be super aggressive pulling the connector. Use a small flat blade screwdriver (or your pick) to lift the tab from the connector, and it'll slide right off with a slight tug).

The edges of the VB can be sharp, so when you're removing the solenoids, some gloves may be handy. It's going to be dripping fluid for awhile after removing the pan, so a pair of safety glasses would be good as well. You can use some spray-on brake cleaner in that area to help clean it - but that *won't* stop the dripping!)

If you do wind up taking it to the shop and they rebuild it, you will probably get new solenoids out of the deal (one reason why I didn't suggest to just replace them outright, as they're not terribly expensive). I don't know that I'd volunteer the info that you put new ones in, or even swapped them out, if you take it in (I have reasons for saying this, but this reply is long enough as it is without adding another couple of paragraphs) :yikes:

Another long post - but if we can help you save $1800+ on a rebuild, or buy you some time...it was worth it, right? BTW, there are *several* threads on the site with pictures of people working to put their shift kits in, so you can look at those. I think @gmcman has one, actually - and IIRC, I found it very useful when I did my own earlier this year.

Another good resource which I highly recommend - there's a 'Project 4L60' set of videos on YouTube that covers rebuilding of this trans - you can find the applicable section on disassembly of the VB, and just watch that one for info about removing these. It's not really hard to do this - just sharing my experience to help you along / save time & effort (and maybe some $$$$)

Good luck - and don't worry about the topic being closed - I see plenty of 'zombie threads' here where someone puts a reply in on a topic that is 3 or more years old - and they're not even the OP. I'll give them credit for looking, though.

chatterx

Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
Well the verdict is in. Third was completely toast. It needed rebuilt. So I had it done. I will be picking it up in a few days. 3 year 100,000 mile warranty for 1800. Not too shabby.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I would highly recommend picking up or having the shop get a new separator plate from the dealer which will be vin matched to your vehicle.

Don't let them put any plate in there, while I'm sure it will work, the plate from the dealer is drilled to match your vehicle weight, PCM program, etc. You can modify it later if you wish but start out with a factory-style plate.

I would also ensure they replace the torque converter.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online