Transmission Shifting - Synthetic?

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
Just getting to know my Saab 9-7x 5.3i, and also new to driving a 'truck'. Previous vehicles pretty much all front wheel drive, car base. I find that the Saab gets a bit high in the rpms before it shifts to 2nd, and then pretty quickly goes to third. The 1st to 2nd shift is also rather hard, especially if I'm on the gas at all (I'm not typically a leadfoot). Is this normal?

I do notice it's a bit worse when cold, and my reading shows me that's pretty typical. Has anyone found the synthetic fluid helps with the 'morning sickness'?

drwfaulk

Jan 5, 2012
When I switched to purple it made a difference , and you can also fix the shift points with a pcmforless tune.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I'm your typical leadfooted driver, the one that most of you all scream at in traffic lol. I have noticed with the 2 SUV's I have owned (02 Buick POS Rendezvous and now my beloved Phantom 03 Envoy) that they both shifted quite roughly compared to my cars that I have owned. They both ran at 1500rpm when first started, and went back down to 600-800rpm once the engine warmed up. Yes I also notice that 1st to 2nd is a hard shift. I noticed all the same things both cruising and hard on the gas.

I think it's pretty normal. I also use synthetic only and in all my vehicles, and it only made a slight difference with the morning ickies.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
The only fluid available for transmissions is synthetic, it replaced whale oil years ago.

Changing (or flushing) the fluid might improve the shifting; and, you might find some fluids work better than others.

Voymom said:
I'm your typical leadfooted driver,
Now there's the reason your only getting 10mpg :raspberry:

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
RayVoy said:
The only fluid available for transmissions is synthetic, it replaced whale oil years ago.

Changing (or flushing) the fluid might improve the shifting; and, you might find some fluids work better than others.

Now there's the reason your only getting 10mpg :raspberry:

You '03 Envoy probably came with Dexron III when new, which is not synthetic. The new standard is Dexron VI, which is synthetic. I used the Dexron VI this past weekend when I did my pan drop, filter change and ATF fill. Good job it blends with Dexron III as the drop / fill process only replaces 5 of the 11-ish quarts in the system. It's a gradual transfusion process from III to VI with each subsequent pan drop / fill process from now on.

I guess I shouldn't complain about 17mpg. I just ordered the PCM Tune, which I'm hoping will improve that by at least another 1 mpg or so.

Dave.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
davenay67 said:
You '03 Envoy probably came with Dexron III when new, which is not synthetic. The new standard is Dexron VI, which is synthetic.
Actually, both are blends of dino base oils and synthetic with a lot of additives. The III probably has a higher percentage of dino.

The new VI has a lot going for it, you (the OP) were probably talking about VI when you asked your question. From what I can read about it, GM highly recommends changing to VI whenever any transmission containing III is flushed, or drained. :thumbsup:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
My 02 will hold the 1-2 shift too when cold. This behavior has to be in the computer since so many of these trucks do it and my 98 camaro with the same trans never did it.

To get around it I just let up on the gas at the normal shift point and it shifts to 2nd without fuss or roughness. It's become a habit now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online