Transmission problems

Robert2149

Original poster
Feb 17, 2017
Watertown
So looking for answer PLzI just had my transmission rebuilt and reinstalled it and I have all forward gear when car was on jack stand tranny went in reverse fine tire turn like they should put it on ground and no reverse I have check all the wire from tranny to pcm for voltage and ohm where the meter beeps cant spell the word and have replaced the pressure manifold and pressure control solenoid and yes the fluid is full also had the guy pull tranny back out to make sure everything was good he siad it was okay can any one help me plz

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Easy answer here would be to take to the rebuilder. Must be on warranty? Sounds like an internal problem.

OMVIJOCA

Sep 10, 2016
Dayton, Ohio
No reverse = the sun gear splines are stripped. This part needs to be replaced every time the transmission is overhauled. If reused, it will fail, and all the labor (and there are many hours involved in R&R transmission) is a bust. The part is only $60 - $80. This is one of the highest failure items for the 4L60E transmission. It is easy to replace ONCE YOU TAKE THE TRANSMISSION OUT - AGAIN. It is located at the inside rear of the transmission so all the guts need to come out again. It is no mystery, just a lot of hours to get to it.

Robert2149

Original poster
Feb 17, 2017
Watertown
When we took tranny back out and went through it we took special interest in that becuase we had heard that and we didn't replace it but was told it looked good

OMVIJOCA

Sep 10, 2016
Dayton, Ohio
And just for your background info: I've purchased GMC Envoys/ Rainiers with bad transmissions, problems are either 3rd is flaring (high rpm and no forward motion) or no reverse. I've purchased for the vehicles for about $550 - $700 because the owner knows this is a high expense repair and just wants to part ways. So I take the transmission out, repair clutches and replace sun gear for about $300. And they run great afterwards. Sometimes I give to my kids ( I have 7 all grown), but mostly I'll sell for $3,500. The entire work is a full weekend's work. But I'm getting better and better. I've done about 15 this way, so I'm still a rookie, but not bad for a 57 year old guy. I have managed to find a Buick Rainier and Envoy XL with V8 engines... and these I've kept for my own use. These are great durable trucks. The transmissions that fail, in my observation range from 180,000 to 220,000 miles. Not bad for the 4l60e, and you know people never ever change the transmission fluid, which makes the story even more amazing.

In any case, I'm no expert, but the sun gears, even if they did not strip out all the way - to have a no reverse condition, are almost always worn about 90%, so they are just about to go, the reason I'll put in new sungears. And also, you have to look at the gears with a magnifying glass to see the wear. Normal unassisted eyeballs can't pick up on the 90% worn splines. At least mine can't.

So that is why I say "check the sun gear splines!". Best of luck.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It is rare to find people that do their own tranny work beyond fluid changes and shift kits. I compare it to rocket science. We know how it works, just don't know how to work on it. Good on you guys for being able to do it :thumbsup:

Reactions: jsheahawk

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I have done a few transmissions now and it is the other way around for me. I know how to work on them, its really not difficult. But I still can't fully grasp how it works.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Those bolts that hold the valve body In place need 8 foot pounds of torque, or 96 inch pounds.

If any were loose I would doubt a torque wrench was used. Could have overlooked one or more, but I would drop the pan and go over all those 10mm bolt heads with an inch-pound torque wrench.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online