Transfer case differences between AWD and 4x4

Mike1973

Original poster
May 28, 2016
Ontario
Hi Guys,
Can someone out there tell me if there is a difference in the transfer case in an AWD and 4x4? I have a 2004 AWD buick Rainier with what I believe may have a transfer case issue, (blowing through encoder motors) looking to swap out the transfer case with a trailblazers or envoys because they seem a lot more readily available. I understand my vehicle is non-select-able 4x4 where as the trailblazer and envoys are select-able, is that difference in the transfer case? or the motors? Wondering if I can use the transfer case from those vehicles and just mount the NP4 encoder motor from my AWD onto it?
Thanks,

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Totally non-interchangeable. The AWD version is only one speed (4hi) while the 4x4 is 2 speed (4 hi and 4 lo) and neutral.

blackc5

Jan 27, 2017
MS
Totally non-interchangeable. The AWD version is only one speed (4hi) while the 4x4 is 2 speed (4 hi and 4 lo) and neutral.

New member and unable to find a more appropriate place to ask this question. Have '04 Rainier with front axles out and want to use as a tow, behind RV. Will the 226 transfer case fit without modification ?? I will use only the NEUTRAL and 2Hi, and I have read that these two positions can be obtained manually. Thoughts, suggestions????

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
In a Rainier, you don't have a controller to select in between the different transfer case locations if you were to swap them. So while it may be possible to swap the transfer case, you would not be able to use it

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Even if you were to jerry rig some sort of manual wiring to the TC, the encoder motor uses a braking system that is normally controlled by the transfer case module. Even if you were to swap out the transfer case module, add the switch and swap the wiring, the BCM would probably not know what to make of this or the whole thing might not work at all. It might be possible if you know how the transfer case does the shifting and braking and try to replicate it using switches and relays but would not be an easy task. I'd just trade it in for a 4x4 TrailBlazer or Envoy. Personally, I'd try to find something smaller.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Or if you are gung ho on keeping your Rainier, you could use a tow dolly, put the front wheels on it, and disconnect the rear drive shaft, or, get a flat trailer and put the whole truck on it.

But I agree, either get another trailblazer/envoy/ascenders, or, something else entirely.

blackc5

Jan 27, 2017
MS
Even if you were to jerry rig some sort of manual wiring to the TC, the encoder motor uses a braking system that is normally controlled by the transfer case module. Even if you were to swap out the transfer case module, add the switch and swap the wiring, the BCM would probably not know what to make of this or the whole thing might not work at all. It might be possible if you know how the transfer case does the shifting and braking and try to replicate it using switches and relays but would not be an easy task. I'd just trade it in for a 4x4 TrailBlazer or Envoy. Personally, I'd try to find something smaller.
Thank you both for the feedback, this is such a great site for information/interaction. I like my Rainier but may have to trade. One issue still bothers me, as I understand the system the encoder, TCM, switch, etc is just fancy electronics for the old fashion hand gear lever. As I was researching my desired outcome, I ran across a YTUBE where the shaft that the encoder fits is manipulated manually to any position the encoder can position. What's your opinion? Again thanks for the insight and helping us less knowledgeable want-to-be's !!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Again, it depends on the mechanics of the TC to hold a particular position, which is probably why the encoder motor has a brake. Even if you do the shifting manually under the truck, it would not be good if it shifted on its own.

blackc5

Jan 27, 2017
MS
Again, it depends on the mechanics of the TC to hold a particular position, which is probably why the encoder motor has a brake. Even if you do the shifting manually under the truck, it would not be good if it shifted on its own.
Thank you for clearing up my understanding of the transfer case operation....looks like a trade is in my future. Thanks again!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Manipulating the encoder motor would work if you had a standard transfer case. But a Rainier has a one speed, one position, transfer case. So it won't work for you.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That won't work. He wanted to be able to put it in neutral to tow behind a motorhome.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online