Trans won't shift out of park and car is in neutral

tcurlee

Original poster
Mar 28, 2015
Weird problem.... I have an 05 envoy 4X4 w/ 180, 000 miles. I parked it on a slight hill, put it in park and used the E brake. went to take off again, couldn't get the shifter out of park, can't press the button on the side either. then noticed that the indicator on the dash says the car is in neutral and the car is physically in neutral and it does roll. so, the shifter doesn't jive with the dash indicator. No SES light. Has anyone had this problem -- Any ideas ??

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Shift Linkage Bushing on the transmission has broken. Where the linkage hooks up to the shift lever on the driver side.

-crawl under and double check. If that is the issue --the linkage is disconnected-- then go to a local parts store and ask for a shift linkage bushing, part number is Dorman 14055.

tcurlee

Original poster
Mar 28, 2015
Thanks Mounce,, I'll check it out tomorrow in the daylight as it is 11 pm now. .. and of course it broke about a 1/2 mile away from home so I'll have to haul tools and jack w/ stands down to it ... guess it could always be worse.
I'll let you know how I make out w/ it

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Shouldn't need any of that if you can shimmy under the car unless it's too low, I was barely able to get far enough under it but I'm a big guy. Only tool I needed was a pocket screw driver to persuade the bushing to go into the shift linkage.

tcurlee

Original poster
Mar 28, 2015
Yep, crawled under yesterday and saw the shifter cable hanging. bought that part you recommended from Advance auto on my way home from church and will install it first thing in the morning. you're right about crawling under w/o a jack, plenty of room. BTW, when I looked under it yesterday, I just slid the cable back on the nipple end and eased it back up to my house.

Reactions: Mounce

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Right on. Glad I was able to help you. That's one of the common things for these. I actually bought another bushing to keep as a spare because it was a PITA when it happened, stuck in nuetral in a drive-thru, shifter stuck in park, and my mother was driving it and didn't know what to do. Had to leave work and go crawl under and manually shift it. If I would have already had a bushing it would've been no big deal.

tcurlee

Original poster
Mar 28, 2015
I installed the bushing the other day on the linkage. It fought me a little bit but I got it done. Easiest repair I've done in a long time. Thanks again for the advice! ;-)

Reactions: Mooseman and Mounce

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online