Trans fluid leak at cooler.

bugeyed

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
I have developed a fluid leak at the transmission cooler where the rigid tube connects to the bottom. The nut is tight, but I don't know how this tube seals. It has a snap ring with a black plastic cover. I loosened the nut & repositioned the tube (wiggled it) & retightened the nut. Can anyone tell me how to get this connection tight? I had the trans rebuilt a couple of months ago, so I'm sure that's the last time it was messed with.
Thanks,
Kev

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
You definitely don't want to loosen that large nut all the way. I don't know if it's rigid enough to stay in place from the other side being secure, but you don't want it to fall inside the radiator.

I think your problem may be the O-ring on the cooler tube. You can pull that black collar back, and use a pick to remove the small retaining clip....be sure to cover it so it doesn't take flight. Note how it's secured so you can get it back. Once the retaining clip is out, just pull on the cooler tube. You will get some drainage but check the O-ring, possibly replace it.

Reactions: Mooseman

bugeyed

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Thanks for the info. Is there a diagram somewhere that shows this type of connection? What is it called?

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Let us know how it goes. I'm having a very similar issue and currently there's very little content that comes up when searching about it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online