Trailer wire issue - No right signal to trailer

mulletsrock101

Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
Hi Everyone,

06 TBlazer 4x4 I6

I just went to use my trailer for the first time since last year and now my right turn signal will not work. I have running lights , brake lights , and left turn signal but no right. I checked all of the fuses under the back seat and nothing is blown. I even swaped the right and left turn signal fuses and still nothing. So then I proceeded to have my cousin come over with his 2500HD and all of the trailer lights worked when plugged in to his truck so I dont think I have any issues with the trailer. Now I just unplugged the clip on the back of the 7 pin plug (on the TB) and blew it out with some compressed air. Nothing looks corroded or bent. I was able to see inside the back of the plug by taking a small mirror and flashlight. All of the terminals look OK. I used my 7 to 4 pin adaptor (has LED lights to show if working) as a tester and all of the pins have power but the right signal and the fuse is not blown. Any suggestions before I start taking everything apart to follow the wires from the plug checking for a crack ? PS - live in NY and subject to winter road salt but nothing looks corroded.

Thanks !

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
I had a problem with mine once, I made a baking soda paste and cleaned both ends of the plugs. That is the only thing that comes to mind, maybe someone can chime in on this.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Buy yourself a cheap multimeter, and test the trailer right signal fuse to see if there's any power getting to it in the first place.

If it does have power, then your issue is between the fuse block and the trailer connector. Possibly an open circuit due to a cut/broken wire. If it doesn't have power, than your issue is upstream from the fuse block, and you'll need to start back tracing in the other direction. Possibly the flasher module just above and to the left of the brake pedal, maybe a wiring issue somewhere in between.

Best strategy is to cut down your areas of troubleshooting to minimize the amount of work ahead of you. :thumbsup:

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Just an FYI, you have 2 fuses. One is for the trucks RT (#43 rear panel) and the other is the trailer RT, or so it is marked, (#50 under hood).

The truck has a right turn wire and circuit, along with a separate right side brake circuit. The trailer circuit (flasher module) combines these into turn and brake sharing the same wire and sharing fuse #50.

If the grounds are all good,
if the lamps are all good,
if the fuses are all good,
the problem is probably in the flasher module.

AV8ER

Apr 19, 2012
1+ on what Ray said, most likely the trailer rt fuse if you haven't looked at it.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
AV8ER said:
1+ on what Ray said, most likely the trailer rt fuse if you haven't looked at it.
No so quick AV8ER, he said the right brake light works; so, as I said, the right sig and the right brake share the same wire and fuse, therefore, if the brake light works, the wire and fuse must be good. As I suggested, in my previous post, I think the problem may be in the flasher. The flasher has the job of combining the right sig and the brake for the trailer.

AV8ER

Apr 19, 2012
It was late, I misread the original post. Thought it said that no right brake or turn signal

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
AV8ER said:
It was late, I misread the original post. Thought it said that no right brake or turn signal
Not to worry, haha; go back and look at some of my posts in other threads, I do it all the time.

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
Porkins said:
I had a problem with mine once, I made a baking soda paste and cleaned both ends of the plugs. That is the only thing that comes to mind, maybe someone can chime in on this.

I had a corrosion problem with the plug on the TB. I took it off, cleaned it and coated it with bulb grease when I put it back together. That was 2 years ago.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online