NEED HELP TrailBlazer 4.2 crank no start strange

Jakeleg223

Original poster
Jun 30, 2021
Louisiana
Hello, I'm trying to help a friend with his 2002 TrailBlazer 4.2 2wd. Don't have any history related to problem so flying blind. I've done/checked the following. Engine cranks but no start. Sounds like its firing on one cylinder while cranking. Vehicle has sat for 1 year with this problem.

Changed fuel pump. {was dead} introduced 10 gallons of fresh fuel. Pump is running.
Changed cam sensor
Cleaned plugs
verified fire on all coil packs
No codes
Jumped pump relay and can hear fuel running thru motor.
Checked voltage to cam actuator 12v. Have not pulled and checked actuator itself.

A few things on my cheap TorquePro scanner app.

Fuel trim bank 1 sensor 1 and 2 etc... 0%
Coolant temp 82.4
Engine Load 100%
Engine RPM 724 " while cranking"
PC solenoid Actual current 0 amps
PC Solenoid Reference current 0 amps
No misfires
Ignition voltage 12.9
Injector pulse width on all CYL around 15.0000 ms
Gear 3rd. Strange and i verified crank only in P and N

Any ideas? It does the same try to crank on one CYL on either or fuel. Pull FP relay and just spins. I will soon be borrowing a real scanner but wanted to pick yalls brains first.

Any thoughts on what to look at next?

Thanks,
Jake

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
check and / or change the ignition switch.... check to ensure proper voltages to and from at each key position. As a preliminary check, with key just turned to ON, does the check engine light stay on? It should "forever" as long as key is set to ON.
Check fuses for PCM. Any lights on dash... ie. theft?

Jakeleg223

Original poster
Jun 30, 2021
Louisiana
check and / or change the ignition switch.... check to ensure proper voltages to and from at each key position. As a preliminary check, with key just turned to ON, does the check engine light stay on? It should "forever" as long as key is set to ON.
Check fuses for PCM. Any lights on dash... ie. theft?
The CEL does stay on with the key in the on position. All fuses under hood good, no other lights. I will check key voltages next.

Thanks

Jake

Jakeleg223

Original poster
Jun 30, 2021
Louisiana
Does "either" = ether (starting fluid)?? If so then you have fuel and verified spark but no combustion??

Compression test.
Sorry, my brain tends to want to spell words as the sound. Guess im semi retarded! lol

My mechanic buddy did recommend a compression test. Motor was recently replaced with new/rebuilt unit but i know that means nothing. Ill have to test it soon.

Jake

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
What Year Replacement Motor has been recently installed ...and has that Engine EVER actually Started, Run and Idled nominally soon afterwards? If the Engine is a Late Model Motor, it would require a Matching PCM and Wiring Harness as well, if this is in fact what has occurred.

The 2002 Crankshaft "Timing" is sensed via the "CKP" Hall Effect Sensor sending a Trigger Signal from the (7) Seven Notches cast into the OEM Crankshaft. If your Engine has an updated Reluctor Wheel spot-welded to the Updated Crankshaft... then your Old PCM will NOT know how to interpret these Different Sensor Inputs and that Motor will NEVER Start and Run.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If the replacement engine is an 08 or 09, it will NOT work. Period. The crank reluctor wheel is not compatible with your PCM. And swapping in a PCM from those years will not work neither as the wiring is totally different. Others have done that same mistake.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keithdm