trail grapplers + fuels = ok?

07teebeeLT

Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
going to be running Marks 3inch suspension lift + z71 shocks in the rear (all parts are here).... will be installing everything once i need a new set of tires or at least get closer to that point. The plan is.....

Fuel hostage 17x9 with -12 off set (4.5" backspacing) and i want to use 265/70R17 trail grapplers (nitto describes them as 31.97" x 11.02" )

anyone see any issues with this combination? should i expect rubbing? if so how much?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
4.5" backspace is the key I believe. Stock wheels are 6" backspace, 1.5" spacers put them at 4.5", which clears the ball joint fine with 265 width tires.

Should be good to go.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
You should be fine with this combo. You may have slight rubbing along the back side of the wheel well. Most likely if Nitto answers you they will say it won't fit because they know nothing of the vehicle.

07teebeeLT

Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
djthumper said:
You should be fine with this combo. You may have slight rubbing along the back side of the wheel well. Most likely if Nitto answers you they will say it won't fit because they know nothing of the vehicle.

yea just asking nitto more for the wheel tire combo because they recommend that tire size for up to 8.5" wide wheels

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
What gearing do you have? That can be a big impact on things as well.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Any of the stock gearing will work with that size tire, but if he has 3.42 (like I do) I definitely wouldn't go any taller than 32" tires.

Reactions: 07teebeeLT

07teebeeLT

Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
to be honest i just LOVE the look of the trail grapplers and unfortunately the 265/70 17 is the only size i think will work... then for wheels (we are limited) i really like the fuel hostage.... just a little nervous about what the 265 will look like on a 9 inch wheel

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Staying with the 3.42s you better retune the PCM and get a transmission cooler. You should be able to get the hostage in an 8.5.

07teebeeLT

Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
with an 8" wheel we need an offset of 0 or less. 8.5" it needs to be -6 or less. The 8.5 is near impossible to find and the 8 with 0 is pretty hard as well.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I bet you need a little trim, but should be nice setup. I would look for the 8 inch wheels.

You realize that offset and backspacing are different...right? You need certain backspacing, but offset can be about anything.

07teebeeLT

Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
HARDTRAILZ said:
I bet you need a little trim, but should be nice setup. I would look for the 8 inch wheels.

You realize that offset and backspacing are different...right? You need certain backspacing, but offset can be about anything.
yea i know that but what i was getting at was what offset was needed to get the correct backspacing lol... any recommendations for other wheels 17x8 or 8.5.... dk if i wanna move away from the combo im looking at unless im going to be risking my life driving it.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
They will be fine. People run skinnier tires on wider wheels often.

07teebeeLT

Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
HARDTRAILZ said:
They will be fine. People run skinnier tires on wider wheels often.
though some of you might scoff at me for it but the peak of my offroading will be the beach... MAYBE a ride down the powerlines every now and then. But does anyone see an issue with this combo aired down to the 10-15psi range. I would get non "LT" tires but i really want the agressive look of the nittos

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Hey I'm lifted and really haven't done much "real" offroading. Several of us are LFAO (lifed for appearance only).

I don't have LT tires on mine because I didn't really need them for what I'm doing and wanted to avoid all the extra weight. They are P rated AT tires. Still looks decent and have some capability without being over the top.

07teebeeLT

Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
lol i like that LFAO but yea nicest tires i have found are the trail grapplers and toyo open country M/Ts. but both of them are LT rated. Nicest non LT rated i have found is goodyear wrangler duratrac but i dont think they are on the same level (appearance wise) as the others.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Duratrac will ride better and perform DD better. Damn good tire n I love the looks.

10 psi without Beadlocks is about the limit even without stretching tires. You are prolly OK on beach at 15 but you won't have the bead grip for rough stuff Luke a narrower rim will offer. But for looks the 9 inch will be nice and wide

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Just be aware a MT tread will 1) be noisier 2) wear faster, and LT tires typically weigh more which can make a bigger mpg impact. The wear and mostly the mpg impact was why I stuck with a P rated AT tire, at the time. I used to drive 30k a year for work. Now I only have a 30-35 mile round trip to work and back, so it isn't as big a deal as it used to be.

I like my Firestone AT but next time around I may try the Duratrac to satisfy curiosity. They do look better anyway :biggrin:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I would never run a non LT tire on a 5000 lb truck but some do.

07teebeeLT

Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
HARDTRAILZ said:
i see where your coming from there but if they make non LTs in that size its gotta work right? UGHHHH idk with this crap lol

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
No.

P is passenger car

LT is light truck

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You get to help build it if you buy one. Really cool concept actually.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Neither would I. These trucks are only 4600 pounds :raspberry:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Mines 5000...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Tires, wheels, full size spare, skids, sliders, bumpers, winch, tools, spare parts, subs n box. Haven't cut enough off to offset that stuff.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online

No members online now.