1. We are working on the forum's attachment system. Attachments and avatars will be intermittently affected over the next 24 hours.
    Dismiss Notice

TPMS Sensor Relearn / Matching

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by dmanns67, Mar 31, 2014.

1. dmanns67

dmanns67 Well-Known Member

I recently installed new wheels and tires with TPMS sensors. They would not communicate with my system, so the error message "Service Tire Monitor" would flash on the dash. There are a couple of options. You can take the vehicle to a dealership/tire shop and pay for them to use their TPMS diagnostic tool to do the relearn/matching or you can follow the instructions below and DIY.

Any time you replace one or more of the TPMS sensors or rotate the vehicle's tires, the identification codes will need to be matched to the new tire/wheel position. The sensors are matched to the tire/wheel positions in the following order: driver's side front tire, passenger's side front tire, passenger's side rear tire, and driver's side rear tire. Could not find a thread on this process, but figured it could benefit other owners with TPMS sensors.

1. Set the parking brake.

2. Turn the ignition switch to RUN with the engine off.

3. Turn the headlamp control from off to parking lamps 4 times within 3 seconds. A double horn chirp will sound and the TPMS low tire warning light will begin to flash. The double horn chirp and flashing TPMS warning light indicate that the TPMS matching process has started. The TPMS warning light should continue flashing throughout the matching procedure.

4. Start with the driver's side front tire. Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing or decreasing the tire's air pressure for 10 seconds, then stop and listen for a single horn chirp. The single horn chirp should sound within 15 seconds, confirming that the sensor identification code has been matched to this tire and wheel position. If you do not hear the confirming single horn chirp, you will need to start over with step number one.

5. Proceed to the passenger's side front tire and repeat the procedure in Step 4.

6. Proceed to the passenger's side rear tire and repeat the procedure in Step 4.

7. Proceed to the driver's side rear tire and repeat the procedure in Step 4.

8. After hearing the confirming horn chirp for the driver's side rear tire, check to see if the TPMS warning light is still flashing. If yes, turn the ignition switch to LOCK to exit the sensor matching process. If the TPMS warning light is not flashing, the 5 minute time limit has passed and you will need to start the process over beginning with Step 1.

9. Set all four tires to their normal air pressure.

**You will have 2 minutes to match the first tire/wheel position, and 5 minutes overall to match all four tire/wheel positions. If it takes longer than 2 minutes, to match the first tire and wheel, or more than 5 minutes to match all 4 tire and wheel positions the matching process stops and you will need to start over**

2. Sib

Sib Silver Supporter

:bump:

Ok so instead of starting a new thread, I'll just add to this one, seeing that my questions goes along with the matching process.

I have rotated my tires a handful of times and just never bothered with the matching process until now, and I have never had any leaks/issues so I was never concerned with it.

But the other day I rotated my tires, and figured I would do the matching process. I did it like the Owner's Manual said to do, which is exactly how @dmanns67 said to do it above. However, when I turned the lights to parking and back 4 times, I heard the two horn chirps, but the TPMS light did not illuminate on the dash. I did this about 5 or 6 times and nothing.

Any ideas? I know the light works because occasionally when it's cold outside, and my truck sits in the cold for a long period of time, I will get the warning light on the dash and my DIC will say "Check Tire Pressure" until I drive a little and the air in the tire warms up. Then the warnings go away.

3. Mooseman

Mooseman Moderator

Try it anyway even if the light doesn't come on. Could be a difference in years. If you get the horn chirps, it should still be in learning mode.

Sib likes this.
  4. northcreek

northcreek Well-Known Member

Yes...It doesn't always go as the book says, strange as it seems. Mine will not give me the beeps at the end to signal a successful relearn but, in actuallity it has ??
    The newer GMs require a scan tool to relearn, can't just let air out. Had to spend the $70 (for the tool)to do the wife's Equinox...Mike.

dmanns67 and Sib like this.
  5. Sib

Sib Silver Supporter

Thanks fellas. I'll try it tomorrow and will report back. :tiphat:

dmanns67 likes this.
  6. dmanns67

I have experienced the same thing you described, but light or not light on the dash has not affected my ability to do a relearn after rotating tires.

I am not sure how everyone else does the relearn after tire rotation, but I let air out of each tire until I hear the horn chirp. After you turn the selector switch back and forth 4 times and hear the double horn chirp, go ahead and start the relearn process. As long as you hear a horn chirp after letting air out of each tire, the relearn process is OK.

I figured this would eventually be the route of newer cars.

northcreek and Sib like this.
  7. Rich-MarionOH

Rich-MarionOH Member

What if I just replace one TPMS sensor, the right front one? Do I have to go thru the complete relearn process or is there a way to find just the one I am changing?

8. Mooseman

Mooseman Moderator

I believe that a full relearn is necessary unless, possibly, you have the appropriate scan tool to do it.

dmanns67 likes this.
  9. dmanns67

With the manual relearn process, you do not have the option to do just one tire. You would have to do all (4) tires even if you only replaced one TPMS sensor, but this is not a big deal as it only takes a couple minutes for the manual process.

You can go to a tire shop and they can use their scan tool to relearn the new sensor. Should only run you $10-$20 for them to do the relearn. I personally like the free method :yes:

You sir are correct.

Rich-MarionOH likes this.
  10. Rich-MarionOH

Rich-MarionOH Member

OK, so I replaced the one bad sensor (driver side front) and did the relearn process as given in the manual. Got the initial chirps plus a chirp after each of the first 3 tires. Got no chirp after the last tire (driver side, rear) and the TPMS light is still illuminated. Did this several times with the same results BUT all tires are now showing pressure readings. Just can't get rid of the TPMS indicator light. And I was WELL within the 5 minute time limit. Any ideas?
    Thanks!
    Rich

11. dmanns67

I had that happen to me a couple years ago when I switched to my winter tires. No matter how many time I did the relearn, the light would not go away. I ended up taking my TB to a local tire shop and had them use their wireless relearn tool. Once they used their tool, the light went out. Relearn ran me around $15.

Rich-MarionOH likes this.