Towing the Trailmanor wiith an Envoy

whippet

Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
This is my very first post. I've been following Roadie's threads/posts /articles for 3 yrs. now (no more T-Voy for me) and was so intrigued by his trailmanor that I finally purchased a 2009 trailmanor 2619. I will be picking it up Sept. 21 2012. My old trailer would sometimes start to fishtail after changing lanes with the Envoy and the oscillations would amplify to the point where I thought I would end up in the ditch. My van would tow the same trailer with no issues what-so-ever. It had surge brakes so that mean't I could not put a W.D.Hitch or sway control on it. The trailmanor home page states that sway is not an issue. How does your trailmanor tow Roadie.Could you please give me any "Heads Up". This is my dream come true and I don't want it becoming my nightmare. I have purchased a 600lb. 10,000 LB. W.D Hitch. Thank You.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
I'm sure Roadie will be able to give you better info about your particular setup, however I just wanted to say that the problem towing your other trailer sounds weight related. Is it possible that your Envoy's hitch is higher than your van's? If the weight was close to balanced, a vehicle with a lower hitch may pull the trailer fine, but when the weight tips back for the higher vehicle, then there is no weight on the tongue and fishtailing ensues. The hitch on the GMT360 is relatively high. I have a utility trailer that fishtails like a demon behind by TB, even with a 12 inch drop hitch. If I put a bit of weight on the tongue, suddenly problem solved. Be sure any trailer is level behind the tow vehicle and that there is sufficient weight on the tongue and that will help greatly.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Oh, jeez, another stalker. :eek:

Nah, seriously, welcome! You're about the fifth person (first on these two forums) who have gotten a trailmanor after seeing mine. They are PERFECT for the platform.

Huge issue is the short wheelbase. The divergent (ever-increasing) fishtailing is related to low tongue weight, short wheelbase, and spring/shock dynamics. With only a WD hitch and no anti-sway friction bar, I've got mine dialed in now that I've tested the combination up to 85 MPH, but I recommend NEVER doing this except on desert straightaways with zero obstacles off the road, and have your ejection seat armed. :cool:

Setting up the WD hitch is essential, and can take an hour. Don't run with less than about 300 pounds on the hitch, and use Airlift1000 bags in your coil springs as a helper if you need to. Make sure your shocks are not worn out. Install the red wire on your front fuse block with a M6 nut or wingnut, but don't leave the trailer connected overnight because you risk running the vehicle's battery down.

Get help with setting the hitch up if the instructions aren't perfectly clear. Investing a bit of time up front and towing will be a DREAM.

Assume you've seen pictures of using my front 2" receiver to spot the trailer up my steep driveway and into position? Do yo have an easy parking situation?

Post any more questions ANYTIME! Glad you found us over here after the Great Unpleasantness (which we also call the Jailbreak.)

whippet

Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
My Trailmanor has the optional rear receiver and I was wondering if hooking up a loaded bike rack to it is a good idea or not. When I did this to the last trailer I had, the trailer would fishtail even after loading the tongue.
As far as parking the T.M. goes, that front 2" receiver looks just like the ticket I need. I will be parking it into my garage, and it is a very tight fit. So tight infact that I now have to get a new rollup garage door. My old one piece door is 78" high and I need 81.5" to clear the rooftop low profile A.C. I also will have just 6" left of the length of my 20ft. garage. My wife is very p.off now that all my Shop tools, Welder, beer fridge ect. has now invaded the basement. But it was worth it!!:thumbsup:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
You could always deflate the tires (or install smaller ones) to put it in the garage. :wink:

Curt 31055 is the thing you need for the front, if you're not getting a custom offroad bumper. I sold mine when I realized how much it killed my approach angle, but YMMV.

curt31055.jpg

whippet

Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
the roadie said:
You could always deflate the tires (or install smaller ones) to put it in the garage. :wink:

Curt 31055 is the thing you need for the front, if you're not getting a custom offroad bumper. I sold mine when I realized how much it killed my approach angle, but YMMV.

curt31055.jpg

I,m going to order that Curt 3!055 on Monday. Thanks Roadie:thumbsup:

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Welcome to the site! I just google searched that trailer, a brand i've never heard of. I'm surprised how light it is! Did you buy it at a local dealer? I wouldn't mind to see a Trailmanor in person somesome. I must be close to you. If you ever see a silver Envoy flagging you down I'll be me. I'm sure you'll be easy to spot with the trailer on. :thumbsup:

If you ever need a extra pair of hands just let me know.....

whippet

Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
Denali n DOO said:
Welcome to the site! I just google searched that trailer, a brand i've never heard of. I'm surprised how light it is! Did you buy it at a local dealer? I wouldn't mind to see a Trailmanor in person somesome. I must be close to you. If you ever see a silver Envoy flagging you down I'll be me. I'm sure you'll be easy to spot with the trailer on. :thumbsup:

If you ever need a extra pair of hands just let me know.....

You are very welcome to come and see the trailmanor (a real rarity in Canada).I was ready to drive down to the U.S. to find a used Trailmanor, new is very expensive, when in frustration I went on Kijiji typed in trailmanor and a 2009 2619 loaded was traded in at Rustons Rv Bulington ont.2 days earlier. I was at the dealer before it opened in the pouring rain and got it for $14,400. If you spot my blue Envoy, with whippet stickers on the back( I have 2 whippets) honk and I will pull over. Thanks for the help offer.:yes:

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
whippet said:
You are very welcome to come and see the trailmanor (a real rarity in Canada).I was ready to drive down to the U.S. to find a used Trailmanor, new is very expensive, when in frustration I went on Kijiji typed in trailmanor and a 2009 2619 loaded was traded in at Rustons Rv Bulington ont.2 days earlier. I was at the dealer before it opened in the pouring rain and got it for $14,400. If you spot my blue Envoy, with whippet stickers on the back( I have 2 whippets) honk and I will pull over. Thanks for the help offer.:yes:

We're having a meet in Midland on the 29th of this month. If your up to a nice scenic drive and meeting some members maybe it's something you can consider? Look at the 2012 Meet thread for some details if you haven't seen it yet. Some of us are bringing the family and staying over as well. It will be a good time :thumbsup: . The Bigger the turn out the Better it is.....

whippet

Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
Denali n DOO said:
We're having a meet in Midland on the 29th of this month. If your up to a nice scenic drive and meeting some members maybe it's something you can consider? Look at the 2012 Meet thread for some details if you haven't seen it yet. Some of us are bringing the family and staying over as well. It will be a good time :thumbsup: . The Bigger the turn out the Better it is.....

That sounds like a real blast, I will really try to fit that in my busy schedule. By the way I saw your tricked up denali envoy In the Laurentian Power Plaza (Zears). WHO CAN FORGET THOSE WHEELS:wootwoot:!!!!

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
whippet said:
That sounds like a real blast, I will really try to fit that in my busy schedule. By the way I saw your tricked up denali envoy In the Laurentian Power Plaza (Zears). WHO CAN FORGET THOSE WHEELS:wootwoot:!!!!

Nope, It wasn't me, it was my look alike...

whippet

Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
:crazy:Going back to the Curt front 2" receiver, the instruction sheet says "Remove the lower bumper cover and notch out after installation" .Does anybody know approx where the opening would be so I could notch it out without removing the cover. I was thinking of buying the optional licence plate mount that slides in the 2" opening. If the opening is behind the old licence plate holder I could just cut out a larger opening and save time without removing the cover. I know you have a custom steel bumper Roadie ( very nice by the way) so you may or may not know. I have very limited time so any I could save would be greatly appreciated.:crazy:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The lower bumper cover they're talking about is the black plastic air dam, not the real bumper cover. The Curt hangs down pretty far. I bought both the license plate holder and their mini-skid shield. I still have the unused license plate holder if you're interested. You can also buy a spare tire holder for it. And hooks.

curt5.jpg

DSCN0305 (Small).JPG

DSCN0316 (Small).JPG

DSCN0318 (Small).JPG

DSCN0325 (Small).JPG

Very early view of Roadiemobile Rev 1

borrego2.jpg

whippet

Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
As far as the licence plate mount goes, judging by your pictures, I would not need one. Many thanks for the offer tho.
WHAT A GREAT SITE WITH AWESOME MEMBERS !!!:yes::yes:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online