Towing Question 2005 GMC Envoy SLE 4.2L

gmc_envoy

Original poster
Apr 25, 2013
I had a question about towing. I have a 2005 GMC Envoy SLE 2WD 4.2L 3.42 rear with trailering package. It has 107xxx miles and all maintenance is up-to-date. I'm doing a one-way move when I leave the Navy. Would it be OK to tow a 5x8 U-haul trailer about 400 miles without installing an aux trans cooler or any other additional equipment? I plan on leaving the trans in 3rd the entire time and following the owner's manual for not exceeding 50mph while towing. Any help is appreciated.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Yes. I've towed the larger 6'x12' from NY to FL with no additional equipment. No issues, cruised at 70MPH the whole way down used 3rd gear to keep it from going into overdrive.

Inert_Static

Jun 22, 2013
The place where I work is a uhaul dealer. I ran the combo through the system and it liked it. It's a pretty good system taking into account all the weights of the truck and trailer. I guessing you already talked to uhaul though....

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
I6, 3.73 gear ratio here. All that really helps is maximum towing capacity, and getting up to and maintaining speed. I went 55 most of the way until the trip was taking all day and night, and went 70 for the last hour of the trip maybe. 600+ miles in late August, so not exactly the coolest time of the year to help augment vehicle cooling.

Highest the temp gauge ever went was 1, rarely 2 past the top mark. 15MPG hauling a 6x12 that was jam-packed full; even had a 1930s dental chair in there that was like 300-400 pounds (I bent a dolly trying to get it moved). Hauled like a champ, and I drove for a good 15-16 hours, except the one-hour nap I attempted about 2/3 the way through. Other than that, only stops were at gas stations, 3-4 stops that took 10-15 minutes each.

If hauling is going to become a regular thing for you, a trans cooler may be of definite interest for you. For a rare or one-time deal, you should be just fine just following the manual :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online