Torque app misfires?

{tpc}

Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
Ok so if you read any of my threads lately, I've been doing some work on the truck. Last thing I did was change the spark plugs, I did not change the wires.

So the day I did the final plug, I pulled out the torque app and ran a scan for however long it takes to run 2 full scans...couple minutes. It showed 1 misfire on cyl 3. Not sure what it meant (and still not) I went about my business.

So today, I pulled it out again. This time it shows a misfire here or there across multiple cylinders. When I say here or there, I mean it. Like 1 or 2. The most on one of the cyl was 6, the least was 0.

It also says something about secondary air system, and in the past during the cold winter I've gotten the throttle position sensor code, which is the only thing so far that has set the cel. But I've been able to clear it and it has been months since it's came back.

Today I let it scan for about 20 min. The misfire count stayed the same, and the avg over the last 10 drive cycles was still showing as 0, despite seeing some today. I don't recall checking it or at least paying any attention to it, so no idea what it might have been doing with the old plugs.

I wanna ask if this is something to worry about? But I am sure it is. The truck has been running fine, actually it always has, never had a blinking cel, just the one for the throttle a few months back. Idle seems fine, driving fine, and actually is getting slightly better gas mileage than it did prior to the plug change.

{tpc}

Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
Just to add a few details, I have changed the air filter recently as well. And some of the things I noticed during the torque scan were something about O2 sensors, secondary air monitor and fuel bank 1 monitor...or something of the ilk.

I was planning on cleaning the tb this weekend hoping to help the throttle position sensor issue, but maybe I should look into some other things first before I go dealing with a tb relearn?

{tpc}

Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
I've also read some things describing replacing the o2 sensors as fixing the problem.

I guess since I was doing the plugs as a "general maintenance" item, I probably should have done the wires and the 02 sensors as well. That said, replacing the wires is easy except for #8, and in order to replace that I will have to pull the wheel and cover off which I believe also exposes the 02 sensor on that side....not sure how many there are to replace. So maybe it would be a good idea to "shotgun" those 2 items as well? I'm guessing as delco wires and sensors are recommended?

I guess what I'm really wondering is if there is really anything wrong, ie should it be reading "0" or can shitty gas, etc cause a little miss here or there. It doesn't seem to be real consistent to any cylinder and can show up on any one of them at any given time. On the way home last night I let it scan for about 30 minutes and it was reporting 1 or 2 on some cylinders that showed 0 before, and 0 or some that showed 1 or 2 before.

Am I way over thinking this? Is it better to leave well enough alone with some of these sensors/wires/etc?

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
:chillpill:

I am by far not an expert... so take this how you want.

Way over thinking this, man. If it feels good, runs good and no CEL, let it alone! Just my gut giving advice.

I hope you find comfort or fix it.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if you scanned most vehicles you'd get an occasional misfire count here and there. Now you have me curious so if I remember I'll scan mine for kicks.

Reactions: Robbabob

{tpc}

Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
Ok so I think I'm going to stop being overly anal about it. Last night I set up torque so I. Kyle see the misfire counts and history in real time. Basically I saw the same thing, occasional one or two count on any given cylinder followed by that going into the history. Then a few moments later it would clear and go back to zero. I couldn't find any specific rpm or load it occurred mostly at, but if I had to narrow it down I'd say it was early in the drive cycle prior to warming up all the way and at lower rpm or when first starting out from idle.

So I don't think it's anything to worry about.

That said torque was also reporting something about O2 heater banks and a fuel monitor bank 1? That was somewhat out of spec. Thing is I don't get any cel or ses notifications...so not sure if I should be concerned about that or not.

I mean how would you ever know? It's not like everyone has the ability to do this all the time..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175