Torque App Fuel Gauge??

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Hey guys.. I got my torque app all set up, but was looking through all the options for gauges when i was away from the tb, and noticed there was a fuel gauge option, so I added that to one of my screens, yet it doesnt work with mine. Just lil more info all the gm predefined pids have been activated, so i was wondering if anyone knew if there was a way to get the fuel gauge to work on the torque app??

DonnyDrywall

Nov 26, 2013
It doesn't get info from the ODBII for fuel level. But if you set up the vehicle profile and every time you fill up go into the vehicle profile and edit settings and slide the current fuel level to full the app will use all settings ( vehicle weight, tank capacity, rpm, etc) to calculate a estimated fuel level. Its not extremely accurate but its kinda close.

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
DonnyDrywall said:
It doesn't get info from the ODBII for fuel level. But if you set up the vehicle profile and every time you fill up go into the vehicle profile and edit settings and slide the current fuel level to full the app will use all settings ( vehicle weight, tank capacity, rpm, etc) to calculate a estimated fuel level. Its not extremely accurate but its kinda close.

Thanks Donnydrywall.. I was hoping I could get the info through the odbII port. but since i cant i probably wont worry about setting it up since i dont have a phone set up just for this.. i might if i get a tablet though..
:thumbsup:

DonnyDrywall

Nov 26, 2013
I'm confused as to why you couldn't or wouldn't set up the vehicle profile. Its just general info such as vehicle weight engine size fuel tank capacity etc, Then I'm assuming the app uses an algorithm to determine fuel usage. My main screen in torque features the fuel used during the trip as well as "horse power" at rear wheels, the fuel remaining, current MPG, average MPG, intake air temp and a couple others. Most would be no where near accurate without the vehicle profile set.

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
its not that i dont want to have the profile set up.. because i actually do have the profile completely set up.. but doesnt all that only work when you are running the app correct?? the app is on my phone, and the wife still drives it most the time and i dont want her taking my phone with her while she is gone lol.. When i get a tablet just for the truck and the app on it and have it mounted in the truck then i will set up the fuel slider on the app, as then it would be more accurate compared to now when i dont always use the app when im in the truck or when the wife is driving it.

DonnyDrywall

Nov 26, 2013
what is the one the shows the gear your in called? I dont see the option in my torque app but im prob just looking past it

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
its called current gear, its the last one in the c's before the d's.. i didnt get it untill i added the gm pids to the predefined list though.. :smile:

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
yeah go into settings from the main screen, go to manage extra pids/sensors, click menu at top right, add predefined list, and click on pontiac/gm/opel/vauxhall... then the transmission temp should also be available

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Folllowing these last few posts...

I have GM added to my PIDs. Just added current gear display. Question, what is displayed while parked?

I just turned the key over to accessories and 3rd was displayed. Cycled through gears from P down to 1 and back but no change... any insight?

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Playsinsnow said:
Folllowing these last few posts...

I have GM added to my PIDs. Just added current gear display. Question, what is displayed while parked?

I just turned the key over to accessories and 3rd was displayed. Cycled through gears from P down to 1 and back but no change... any insight?

haha you would make me go out in the cold n snow to check wouldnt ya :biggrin: well this is mine when i just started it..

View attachment 32473

And actually it just stays in 1 while in park, reverse, or neutral.. so guess not completely accurate.. but its kinda nice to know while driving.. lol

Attachments

• torque 2.jpg
    torque 2.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 18

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Haha yeah now I am going to start it before going to work. I'll run to the store to make it worth my while.

Question, my current gear display tab in the PIDs was not green like the others that are active; rpms volts etc.., is your's highlighted green in the alphabetical menu list?

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Yeah I wasn't connected when I added the display... off to try now. Guessing '03 works my '05 better :yes:

I also saw a verbal warning for warmup operating temps. Anyone use this? Any idea how it is calculated? sorry for the :hijack:

Update: Upon startup my gear display was "1". Also, I was told I reached operating temp when coolant hit 159-161F when outside temp is 4F. I had driven 10 blocks already. Slowly. Oops.

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
Was considering making a new thread, but this one looks like it should do nicely. :smile: Anyone have a recommendation for a ELMS bluetooth dongle? They have them on ebay, amazon, etc in various sizes shapes and prices lol.

My main requirement is that A. it works and B. it doesn't cost a million bucks lol.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
This is the one I bought for my dad a few months ago, he hasn't had any issues with it connecting to his GS4 in his '04 Ascender.

[EBAY]290941249230[/EBAY]

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
{tpc} said:
I should have mentioned I would be using it with an iphone. Does that matter?

Midnyteryder02 said:
I'm not for sure about I phone apps.. the torque app is for android only if I remember right.

Yeah, you won't be able to use Torque. If you have a laptop, you can get the USB version of the adapter and use it that way. Not sure what reliable options are out there for the iPhone.

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
I wonder if I could sideload the torque app onto an old android phone just to use for this?

There is some kind of obd2 app for the iphone but doesn't look like the torque app. :sadcry:

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
Thanks for the help! I bought the elm, now what i am going to do is turn my old droid into a wifi only device. Gives me something to do lol.

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
I wouldn't say that's overkill at all lol.. my wife is looking at 10" tablets, I told her she needed to make sure it had BT so I can use it for torque app :smile:

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
Ok, I got the BT obd dongle, downloaded torque pro and got it to work. My question is in relation to the trans fluid temps. It gives the option of "method 1" or "method 2", and well I have no idea what is different as both seem to give the same reading.

But I was pretty happy that for the most part, the gauges were spot on, even the coolant, which should have been running too cool, and was. The torque lite app was not at all as nice as the torque pro, but I did find that the options on the pro version were somewhat overwhelming.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
{tpc} said:
Ok, I got the BT obd dongle, downloaded torque pro and got it to work. My question is in relation to the trans fluid temps. It gives the option of "method 1" or "method 2", and well I have no idea what is different as both seem to give the same reading.

But I was pretty happy that for the most part, the gauges were spot on, even the coolant, which should have been running too cool, and was. The torque lite app was not at all as nice as the torque pro, but I did find that the options on the pro version were somewhat overwhelming.

TorquePro can go very in-depth with logging and graphing sensors not to mention the amount of information you can observe.

I have searched, bit could not find an answer for the difference between method one and method two. I also see they both read the same temp, but I have been using method one.

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
dmanns67 said:
TorquePro can go very in-depth with logging and graphing sensors not to mention the amount of information you can observe.

I have searched, bit could not find an answer for the difference between method one and method two. I also see they both read the same temp, but I have been using method one.

Thanks!

Any idea on what a "normal" temp might be? Unloaded? And well, if you tow with it, loaded?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
{tpc} said:
Thanks!

Any idea on what a "normal" temp might be? Unloaded? And well, if you tow with it, loaded?

According to my 2007 Trailblazer operator's manual, it says, "To get the right reading, the fluid should be at normal operating temperature, which is 180°F to 200°F (82°C to 93°C)." It does not say what is a high or "hot" temp, but from what I have read when transmission fluid temp gets above 280°F, the TC will start to oxydize the fluid.

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
dmanns67 said:
According to my 2007 Trailblazer operator's manual, it says, "To get the right reading, the fluid should be at normal operating temperature, which is 180°F to 200°F (82°C to 93°C)." It does not say what is a high or "hot" temp, but from what I have read when transmission fluid temp gets above 280°F, the TC will start to oxydize the fluid.

Thanks for the info! I just mildly played around with it the other day after our shopping trip, and I believe it was reading in the 90's, but it had been sitting for quite a bit and it was fairly cold out. I'm pretty sure that was 90F and not 90C, but I'll have to keep some eyes on it next chance I get.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
{tpc} said:
Thanks for the info! I just mildly played around with it the other day after our shopping trip, and I believe it was reading in the 90's, but it had been sitting for quite a bit and it was fairly cold out. I'm pretty sure that was 90F and not 90C, but I'll have to keep some eyes on it next chance I get.

You can change the unit of measure from ºC to ºF in settings, I believe the default setting is ºC.

My fluid takes a while to warm up with the cold temps. I had a 30 min drive home from work this morning and it only reached 160ºF.

I have heard good things about the tranny cooler from PCMofNC. Check out their site. Not too much of a pain to install.

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
dmanns67 said:
You can change the unit of measure from ºC to ºF in settings, I believe the default setting is ºC.

My fluid takes a while to warm up with the cold temps. I had a 30 min drive home from work this morning and it only reached 160ºF.

I have heard good things about the tranny cooler from PCMofNC. Check out their site. Not too much of a pain to install.

Thanks for the info. Finally got a chance to play with the app a little bit more on an extended drive with 4 adults in the truck. The high it reached was 164 F. It was a fairly cold day and we were cruising for about a 3 hour road trip. I would guess its ok, if anything maybe a little low. But the weather has been so crappy its not like I've been able to check it on anything near a normal day.

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
Midnyteryder02 said:
Thanks Donnydrywall.. I was hoping I could get the info through the odbII port. but since i cant i probably wont worry about setting it up since i dont have a phone set up just for this.. i might if i get a tablet though..
:thumbsup:

You should be able to find an inexpensive Android phone on eBay, or even at Walmart.

For example:
Brand New Samsung Galaxy Centura for Net10 616960049487 | eBay

Motorola Moto G Android Smartphone for Boost Mobile New | eBay

Those are new, from a reputable seller. Used units can be even cheaper.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tcwest38

Members Online