Top end Engine Knock for the beaSSt :(

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Well I officially took the beaSSt out of storage yesturday with the freakish 80* weather we've been having here in Ohio...

So I go to get her oil change today and upon leaving I hear this loud huge knocking coming from the motor...(I was at the dealership where my dad works)... so I call my dad real quick and stop by his house... I have him rev it up and sure as s***, knock, knock, knock... almost like a slapping sound.. I couldn't believe my ears/eyes... so by this point my balls are in my throat... my dad hopped in the beaSSt with me and to the dealer we went... they took one listen and asked me "when do you want to drop it off" :sadcry:.. luckily, I have the GMPP.. but I'm just at a loss for words here.. she only has 40k miles on here, hasn't seen track time or road use since october of last year...

So I guess the dealer has to tear it down to get to the root of the problem, and then they said a GM rep might come out just to check things.... ugh!!!.. this just ruined my whole day... here's a vid of the noise.. listen at 5 seconds and 15 seconds..

What do some of you think it sounds like?

Ok, I can't upload the video from tapatalk, so I'm firing up my laptop now, stay tuned for the vid...

ok heres the vid...

[video=youtube_share;WAKfsMjBkeg]http://youtu.be/WAKfsMjBkeg[/video]

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:ugh: Sorry to hear that Juan, really crappy stroke of luck right there :grouphug:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Hubby says it sounds like a rocker? Hope you get her up and running without to much of a hassle, but we know how that usually goes with our platform. :crazy:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Been a while but that almost sound like a rocker slapping.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
djthumper said:

We agree :thumbsup:

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Blckshdw said:
:ugh: Sorry to hear that Juan, really crappy stroke of luck right there :grouphug:

thx buddy :tiphat: very crappy luck!!.. basic stuff done to her and BOOM!!..

Voymom said:
Hubby says it sounds like a rocker? Hope you get her up and running without to much of a hassle, but we know how that usually goes with our platform. :crazy:

yea some of my friends think its one or more of the valves hitting the pistons..meaning its probably a broken valve spring or slipped timing, in which case, the front of the motor comes apart for the timing or replace the head(s) for the valve springs... but if its a rod, then a complete tear down... either way, i think a tear down is involved to some extent, just to see whats wrong.. dealer said it could take anywhere from a 2 weeks to a month!!! :hissyfit::sadcry:

i always read the horror stories, but you never think theyre going to happen to you... well here i am today!!!...

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
djthumper said:

Voymom said:

so whats involved to fix a rocker slapping?

edit: i know what that means now.. i just talked to my brother and mechanic friend... eitherr way.. the beaSSt is down for the count (for now)

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Voymom said:
How do you fix a rocker arm if it is loose or broken in your car

Found this at wiki answers, not sure if it helps though.

that does thanks... looks like a rebuilt of some sort is in order.. at least (fingers crossed) it would be a top end rebuild, instead of a bottom end.. or maybe i can just have a bout of wishful thinking, and maybe i'll get a new crate motor!!!:wootwoot: :crackup:

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
Balls........

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I've had an engine (well, 3) that had rod knock. That does not sound like rod knock to me. Rod knock you hear all the time, a dull thud thud thud at low RPM and it gets louder/meaner at higher RPM, then typically can pretty much go away as the RPMs fall back. Also oil PSI tends to drop low.

I'm only hearing it at certain points and not even that loud. Almost sounds like it fades out at a little higher RPM but hard to tell.

If it was a dropped valve it would have a miss, so I highly doubt that you've got that.

I'm no pro but that doesn't sound too major to me. Maybe need some head work (rocker like someone suggested) or a pushrod is tweaked and needs replaced. Only way to find out really is to start taking it apart.

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
JosueLT said:
Balls........

Bobby quote from Supernatural?? :rotfl:

Sparky said:
I've had an engine (well, 3) that had rod knock. That does not sound like rod knock to me. Rod knock you hear all the time, a dull thud thud thud at low RPM and it gets louder/meaner at higher RPM, then typically can pretty much go away as the RPMs fall back. Also oil PSI tends to drop low.

I'm only hearing it at certain points and not even that loud. Almost sounds like it fades out at a little higher RPM but hard to tell.

If it was a dropped valve it would have a miss, so I highly doubt that you've got that.

I'm no pro but that doesn't sound too major to me. Maybe need some head work (rocker like someone suggested) or a pushrod is tweaked and needs replaced. Only way to find out really is to start taking it apart.

yea, rod knock is leaning towards a negative... its hard to judge because its a video.. it is much much louder in person, to the point that you can hear it in the cabin over everything else going on.. and this only occurs during the top end.. lower RPM's and you hear nothing.. the dealership actually told me to drive it more to see if the sound goes away...so definetly not leaning towards a rod now.. but i just dont know.. and as you said, they dont know either until "we can tear it apart".. so i'll have to wait and see.. she's gettin dropped off on monday after work :sadcry:

edit: on a side note... this is why i love this site/community... i posted this same thing on tbssowners over 5 hours ago.. and not one single reply, and i see tons of threads about noises from the engine.. and that is directly geared towards my SS motor/platform... i post here, and no less then 5 minutes later, i have opinions, options, and ideas...thx all!!:grouphug:

DARKASS04EXT

Nov 21, 2011
Boricua SS said:
i post here, and no less then 5 minutes later, i have opinions, options, and ideas...thx all!!:grouphug:

:thumbsup:

sorry to hear about the bad luck. Hope all gets fixed up w/o any problems

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Damn brother, sorry to hear. Hoping for the best

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Regulator said:
Damn brother, sorry to hear. Hoping for the best

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

thx Matt... hoping to get her back in time for the meet were thinking about having in April here in Ohio...

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
Boricua SS said:

Actually, Penny from BBT. C'mon guy!

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
rod knock sounds a lot worse... you wouldn't be reving your engine to hear it believe me :redface:

a head job isn't the worst thing in the world, its defiantly something someone can do themselves. hopefully there isn't piston damage.

perfect opportunity to do some modding :eyebrowhuh: whenever i have stuff break on me, i take it as the good lord's way of telling me i deserve something bigger and better :wootwoot:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I've heard that sound on engines with a collapsed lifter. Or a rocker arm out of adjustment.

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Well day 3 at the dealership and my dad reportes to me today that the SS hasnt even moved yet.. still sitting in the bay they leave it in overnight.. guess they really do take there merry time... good thing i have my DD...

will post more updates as they come...

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Boricua SS said:
Well day 3 at the dealership and my dad reportes to me today that the SS hasnt even moved yet.. still sitting in the bay they leave it in overnight.. guess they really do take there merry time... good thing i have my DD...

will post more updates as they come...

Sorry to hear that it's taking so long. I know if I were in your situation I would have to go visit my Phantom once a day so he didn't feel abandoned :redface:

Good luck, still hoping it's good news.

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Well, I got the call from the Dealership today... and it was just as everyone had suspected...

Rocker #4 was the culprit to begin with... with the rocker being faulty (it had some play to it), it in turn slightly bent the push rod as well, and it chewed up the head a little bit too the dealership said. They also said that Push Rod was actually flattened on one side as well...

they checked everything else while in there, and everything else was fine... so they are ordering the new parts and i believe they are ordering a new head as well.. they didnt specify if they were going to fix the head or order a new one, so im not sure yet...but im for sure getting a new rocker and push rod

but this is all i know of right now, and it looks like the warranty is being honored.. so i dodged a bullet there as well... My dad did take some pictures of things taken apart, he just doesnt know how to text them to me :rotfl:, so i'll post some pix tomorrow...

Juicy K

Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
Boricua SS said:
Well, I got the call from the Dealership today... and it was just as everyone had suspected...

Rocker #4 was the culprit to begin with... with the rocker being faulty (it had some play to it), it in turn slightly bent the push rod as well, and it chewed up the head a little bit too the dealership said. They also said that Push Rod was actually flattened on one side as well...

they checked everything else while in there, and everything else was fine... so they are ordering the new parts and i believe they are ordering a new head as well.. they didnt specify if they were going to fix the head or order a new one, so im not sure yet...but im for sure getting a new rocker and push rod

but this is all i know of right now, and it looks like the warranty is being honored.. so i dodged a bullet there as well... My dad did take some pictures of things taken apart, he just doesnt know how to text them to me :rotfl:, so i'll post some pix tomorrow...

Good deal. That was going to be sad if you had to get rid of it. I am also glad they are honoring the warranty.:thumbsup:

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Juicy K said:
Good deal. That was going to be sad if you had to get rid of it.

weeeeeeeeeeeeell.. that might not be entirely out of the question just yet :frown:

i've been crunching the numbers for the past few days.. and if i want to get rid of the SS... it needs to be now... the trade in value is optimal right ow at nbearly $20k. I only owe $9k on the beaSSt, and the new cars i've been looking at peak at $22k...

its all still a toss up though.. but for now, the beaSSt is here to stay.. :yes:

Juicy K

Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
To be honest it would be a good thing to get out of if your looking for more MPG, lol in this market who wants that.... :rotfl:

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Juicy K said:
To be honest it would be a good thing to get out of if your looking for more MPG, lol in this market who wants that.... :rotfl:

well now that you mention MPG :crackup:

i've been looking at the Mazdaspeed 3's.. 2.3L Turbo I4 that puts out 265-275hp and gets 18 city/26 highway mpg's.. so for almost the same speed of the beaSSt, i can get a brand new 2012 with a turbo and actually built to handle the power of stock and basic bolt ons.. obviously the SS cant :rotfl:, but my heart is with the SS.. ever since i laid eyes on one, i've wanted it.. i searched for 6 months, and drove over 2 hours to go get her... the SS just fits me... and i actually thought of it as a vehicle that i'd keep in the family, and pass it down to my children... but reality is here.. and gas isnt getting cheaper, and the market for suv's is dropping dramatically...

decision, decisions... :sadcry:

Juicy K

Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
Boricua SS said:
well now that you mention MPG :crackup:

i've been looking at the Mazdaspeed 3's.. 2.3L Turbo I4 that puts out 265-275hp and gets 18 city/26 highway mpg's.. so for almost the same speed of the beaSSt, i can get a brand new 2012 with a turbo and actually built to handle the power of stock and basic bolt ons.. obviously the SS cant :rotfl:, but my heart is with the SS.. ever since i laid eyes on one, i've wanted it.. i searched for 6 months, and drove over 2 hours to go get her... the SS just fits me... and i actually thought of it as a vehicle that i'd keep in the family, and pass it down to my children... but reality is here.. and gas isnt getting cheaper, and the market for suv's is dropping dramatically...

decision, decisions... :sadcry:

The Mazdaspeed 3 would be a decent alternative. I had no clue they were producing that much power... Right after getting the Bravada me and the wife went and test drove a regular 3 and it was a nice car. I wanted to test drive the Mazdaspeed 3 but the dealer in Lafayette, IN will only special order one, "since the college kids just wanna test drive to play".

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Juicy K said:
The Mazdaspeed 3 would be a decent alternative. I had no clue they were producing that much power... Right after getting the Bravada me and the wife went and test drove a regular 3 and it was a nice car. I wanted to test drive the Mazdaspeed 3 but the dealer in Lafayette, IN will only special order one, "since the college kids just wanna test drive to play".

oh yea.. with a hypertech tune, CAI, and catback exhuast, those things put out almost 350hp.. ive been researching ont he mazda forums already :rotfl:.. my brother (Josue LT) has had mazda's for over a year now.. so he's in my ear pushing me that way too :crackup:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah except you will sound like a go cart :raspberry:

265-275 to 350 on exhaust CAI and a tune are they butt dyno-ing

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I had a Mazda 3 Grand Touring, owned it for 2 years, tried to trade the POS in and no one wanted it, so I called the bank and told them to come get the damned forsaken thing out of my sight. Hated that thing. My tranny went out on it 3 days after I brought it home. If I were to go foreign again it would be a subaru.

But, glad the SS isn't as bad as you thought anyways.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Boricua SS said:
weeeeeeeeeeeeell.. that might not be entirely out of the question just yet :frown:

i've been crunching the numbers for the past few days.. and if i want to get rid of the SS... it needs to be now... the trade in value is optimal right ow at nbearly $20k. I only owe $9k on the beaSSt, and the new cars i've been looking at peak at $22k...

its all still a toss up though.. but for now, the beaSSt is here to stay.. :yes:

Its okay lets trade!! My voy for you SS :biggrin: I mean you'll get MPG right :2thumbsup::rotfl: you wont own anything on it either :dance:

I know you want it :biggrin:

lol just kidding with ya!! But glad the dealership is helping you out on it and fixing it for free. Many dealership make it such a pain to do things like that

STLtrailbSS said:

:rotfl: Watch a bad ass SS passes him while he's in that car...next day back to the BeaSSt lol

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
ItsOnVoy;53585 :rotfl: Watch a bad ass SS passes him while he's in that car...next day back to the BeaSSt lol[/QUOTE said:
I will max my credit cards to make sure that exact thing happens :rotfl:

You want to give this up!?
[video=youtube;efepNC7ctME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efepNC7ctME&feature=related[/video]

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
STLtrailbSS said:

265-275 to 350 on exhaust CAI and a tune are they butt dyno-ing

the CAI is the only thing i have seen dyno'd and the hypertech tune (power blocks Horsepower TV had a MS3 on it and did the same exact thing, tune, intake, exhaust...) and with intake alone, it netted 20hp.. the hypertech was about 40-65hp more.. no physical numbers on the exhaust.. the mazda forums are showing much the same as ours.. the stock exhaust is pretty free flowing, unless youre highly modified... so i'd say its a combination of butt dyno and actual...

[video=youtube_share;vKxuGuHTRoA]http://youtu.be/vKxuGuHTRoA[/video]

Voymom said:
But, glad the SS isn't as bad as you thought anyways.

im glad as well... now its just a waiting game... dealer said up to 2 weeks to get her back... im sure it will be easier to make my decision once im sitting in the drivers seat again... :crackup:

ItsOnVoy said:
Its okay lets trade!! My voy for you SS :biggrin: I mean you'll get MPG right :2thumbsup::rotfl: you wont own anything on it either :dance:

I know you want it :biggrin:

lol just kidding with ya!! But glad the dealership is helping you out on it and fixing it for free. Many dealership make it such a pain to do things like that

:rotfl: Watch a bad ass SS passes him while he's in that car...next day back to the BeaSSt lol

:crackup::raspberry:

you know, i thought the same exact thing... i would see one again, and be like heeeeey.. i used to own one.. and nobody would believe me :rotfl:

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
STLtrailbSS said:

:crackup:

i love that vid.. but those SS' have so much money tied up into them.. propbably more then what i make in a year working :rotfl:

all i can afford is what is done to her now.. any other performance mods i go for, are going to cost me well into the thousands.. plus having thousands saved for when she breaks... i would throw a stall in her.. but not on a stock tranny...

and here is horsepowers TV MS3 episode...71hp increase on the tune alone!!...

http://www.powerblocktv.com/player/show_player.php?ep_show=HP&ep_num=HP2010-14

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:

[video=youtube;efepNC7ctME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efepNC7ctME&feature=related[/video]

Well thanks for putting this video up...now I ONLY want one

A_moth_flying_out_mans_empty_wallet_110130-215573-909009.jpg

Boricua SS said:
:crackup::raspberry:

you know, i thought the same exact thing... i would see one again, and be like heeeeey.. i used to own one.. and nobody would believe me :rotfl:

you used to own one of those? yeah right your funny haha I say keep the SS its nice!! I would get rid of the gp you have and get a dd with high mpg...then the SS is for the weekends :yes::biggrin::cool:

Good girls are naughty girls that never get caught.....until they are in a beaSSt :2thumbsup::celebrate::rotfl:

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
:crackup::crackup:

that was f'n funny sam... you had me seriously LOL'n over here... gettin caught in the beaSSt!!! i love it...

but this is still justa a toss up... if i am getting rid of the beaSSt it will be for a MS3... but as i said before, im just waiting to get her back from the dealership and feel how she rides again...

she is just a weekend vehicle now... so gas shouldnt effect me as much as im thinking... but with the wanrranty expiring in January 2013 (since i only have 40,xxx miles on her and the extended warranty lasts until 2013 or 62,xxx miles the year will come first), i definetly cant afford to have her break down like this... if this happened while out of warranty, she would definetly be sitting for quite some time...

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Walked outside and my tbss has a nice top engine chirp/knock uploading video now! Gotta love it im on ext. warranty so any fix will be $60 for me but im still going to see if anyone knows whats up. See what happens when you doubt an SS others fail so stop it.

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
STLtrailbSS said:
Walked outside and my tbss has a nice top engine chirp/knock uploading video now! Gotta love it im on ext. warranty so any fix will be $60 for me but im still going to see if anyone knows whats up. See what happens when you doubt an SS others fail so stop it.

are you serious bro?? or are you just f'n with us??

make sure you get it back to stock before she goes in if youre taking her to a dealership...

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Boricua SS said:
:crackup::crackup:

that was f'n funny sam... you had me seriously LOL'n over here... gettin caught in the beaSSt!!! i love it...

but this is still justa a toss up... if i am getting rid of the beaSSt it will be for a MS3... but as i said before, im just waiting to get her back from the dealership and feel how she rides again...

she is just a weekend vehicle now... so gas shouldnt effect me as much as im thinking... but with the wanrranty expiring in January 2013 (since i only have 40,xxx miles on her and the extended warranty lasts until 2013 or 62,xxx miles the year will come first), i definetly cant afford to have her break down like this... if this happened while out of warranty, she would definetly be sitting for quite some time...

:rotfl: Yeah I think you'll prob keep it...I mean any car can run into problems down the road you know! But to see a problem come so soon isn't a good sign either. Do whatever is right man!! you will make the right decision :yes:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online