tool kit

TheGambler

Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
I was looking at craftsman tool box kits and was wondering what you people keep in your vehicles for tools??

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR

TheGambler

Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
I was looking at a craftsman 255 or 309 piece tool box kit to keep in my envoy as a EDC (everyday carry).

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
It looks like Roadie is ready for WW3! But now you've got me thinking about making a short utility box for the back that I could store small shovels and such for the occasional snow storm...

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
Shdwdrgn said:
It looks like Roadie is ready for WW3! But now you've got me thinking about making a short utility box for the back that I could store small shovels and such for the occasional snow storm...

Yup, he's just ready for what ever comes along... or maybe, where ever he wants to go!

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
Or whatever natural disaster or zombie infestation I need to flee.

I didn't see any wooden or silver stakes...

shrek77

Mar 30, 2012
I have the Kobalt 227 piece mechanics set. Got while on sale plus my discount for $89.99

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
I started off with a Craftsman tool set. It had the three required ratchets, full socket sets for each. Not so much metric back then. I then added wrenches and just kept adding as I went along. Make sure you get a full metric set as you will need them on a modern vehicle. Wait for a sale if possible.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
For the Voy I've got a mish-mash set of tools. Some metric and some English. Most of sockets are from a very cheap set I got in my college days. That was the set that finally pissed me off enough to run to Sears and get a real socket set. Lately I've been thinking of getting a decent set. Throw in some screwdrivers, pliers and wrenches and you done.

For the Silverado I went on a shopping spree specifically for it so the tools are all high quality.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
Or whatever natural disaster or zombie infestation I need to flee.

People over here think you guys are crazy. Same with people on the east coast. Prime locations where you find hurricanes, volcanoes, storm surge, oceanside property, fault lines. It all smells like disaster waiting to happen.

PennTB02

Jan 26, 2012
TheGambler said:
I was looking at Craftsman tool box kits and was wondering what you people keep in your vehicles for tools??

the roadie said:
I got a couple or three things listed in my Build Tread: OffRoad TB - View topic - The Roadie's Build - 2004 GMC Envoy

Buying the biggest, most complete tool set you can afford will always serve you well but I read The Gambler's question to mean "Specific to the GM 360 platform what tools do I need?" *
For example, a Japanise or BMW motorcycle tool kit does NOT contain all available wrenches from 6mm to 21mm. It might contain only seven sizes -- 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 15mm, 17mm, and 21mm. Why? There are no nuts or bolts that have 9, 14, 16, or 20mm heads on those bikes! Sears realizes this to be true for the majority of cars and 'cycles. Unless you buy THE biggest professional set, the odds are there is Not a 16mm open end/ box wrench and Not a 9mm hex key in the set.

What I want to know is there anyone anal enough that every time they worked on their Trailvoy they made notes in the margin of the shop manual as to what tools they needed and could look thru their notes and say "I never used anything smaller than a 6mm, never used the 9 or 11 or 16, and larger than 19 I only used the 21, 28, and 32mm sizes." or something similar? What about Torx drivers? Do you recommend carrying one of each from T6 thru T50 or do you use less than 6 sizes because you have never even seen a T14 or T23?

* I realize it is much less expensive to buy a set of tools than it is to buy only every other size seperately. I also realize finding space for two more tools on a non-touring motorcycle is a big deal while an extra fifteen pounds of tools you may not need in a Trailblazer isn't a big deal. IMO the idea of a Trailblazer Tool Kit as opposed to a tool kit you carry in your Trailblazer still has some appeal.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
A little known secret is to shop at Sears when they have their "Friends and Family" event going on. It's open to the public.

Next one is in March 2013

Got a great Craftsman set for like $100 off. Also got an air compressor and Diehard battery charger for like $20. Plus got a veterans discount on top of that! Saved a ton. Ended up being around 40% off at the register.

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
been contemplating a better toolkit bag anyway...I have AAA, but i've never needed to use them

going to HD today to scope new tools

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I have a kobalt 3/8 drive socket set, a screwdriver with the standard tips, Phillips, straight, tors and hex in various sizes, a leather man multi tool and a set of dikes, standard pliers. Also keep a roll of electrical tape, fuses, and some fluids. This is what I keep in the storage area as well as an air compressor, bottle jack, tow rope and a set of jumper cables.

I keep the good tools in my garage. I figure I have enough to do minor repairs on the side of the road, if it gets to be a big job I will call a friend to pick me up so I can get the required stuff and parts, if its a big problem then I will all for a tow.

c bausch

Jan 13, 2012
I have a 309pc craftsman socket mechanics set , a full size jack , tire plug kit, compressor with every adapter that i can think of , jumper cables 3 different sized wrachets 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" drives also with a 4" extensions and 6" for each size and some small odds and ends like screw drivers and pliers ect . That's for everyday driving. Also canvas tool bags just because there indestructible

sawicksted

Dec 7, 2011
I travel fairly regularly between Toronto and PEI....sometimes I take our trailer and sometimes we just sleep in the back of the TB.....Coldest night I spent in the TB was -21celsius....Anyways NAPA sells a great kit for $100 on sale a couple of times a year 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 ratchets metric and standard wrenches. It has everything you need except pliers.

Every day Tools in all the time:
NAPA Kit, OBD II reader, Vice Grips, Electrical tape, spare wire, Thin coat hanger(2), Gerber Multi tool pliers, Multi meter, Good Jumper cables, Bottle Jack, Heavy hammer, Tow Rope, Air Compressor, small tin filled with various auto fuses, 15-20' Rope

Long trip:
All above tools plus a medium sized tool box with extra bulbs tire plug kit & various spare parts - hose clamps and etc

Trailer trip
ALL ABOVE Stuff plus battery charger, 2 ton floor jack & 2 stands, Medium duty pry bar.

The funny thing is I rarely ever have to do any work on my own rig on the road ...always end up helping someone else though and thats all fine with me. KARMA can work in your favour.

Hope this helps.

TheGambler

Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
PennTB02 said:
Buying the biggest, most complete tool set you can afford will always serve you well but I read The Gambler's question to mean "Specific to the GM 360 platform what tools do I need?" *
For example, a Japanise or BMW motorcycle tool kit does NOT contain all available wrenches from 6mm to 21mm. It might contain only seven sizes -- 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 15mm, 17mm, and 21mm. Why? There are no nuts or bolts that have 9, 14, 16, or 20mm heads on those bikes! Sears realizes this to be true for the majority of cars and 'cycles. Unless you buy THE biggest professional set, the odds are there is Not a 16mm open end/ box wrench and Not a 9mm hex key in the set.

well I know a lot of specific tools you need for the trailvoy off the top of my head from working on it and I went and bought a t27 driver for removing the strap from the hatch to get into the hatch when the latch broke. But I am really just wanting a tool kit I can take from one vehicle to another and if something happens on the side of the road or I am working on it I don't have to worry about digging though someone else's tools trying to find the tools I need. " You can't work out of someone else's toolbox." When I work on my trailvoy over at my relatives house I can never find any of the tools I am looking for I know they have it but someone doesn't put it back .plus i have been with situations where I could have really used a tool kit. I am also the type its better have something and not need it than to not have it at all. Plus if I take a long trip with my buddys I want a kit I can take just in case.

c bausch[/QUOTE said:
how do you like your 309 craftsman tool kit. They are good quality but do I want to leave an expensive tool kit that someone might see and steal? I also have a little beef that we spent a lot of money on a 172 piece kit and only got 10 wrenchs and they even skipped on it 10 and 12 mm but no 11mm and your luck its always the one you don't have. sockets don't always work. what sized tool box did you get for your 309 piece tool kit?

sawicksted[/QUOTE said:
what napa tool kit are you talking about? how many pieces? Do you have a link you could send me

sawicksted

Dec 7, 2011
Hey man - here's a pic of the tool kit and if I can I'll show you some other picks of the rear storage compartment and everything that fits in there for tools. The Napa kit is very thin - thinnest for the range of tools it contains. I am not sure what the name/ part number but I will look on the NAPA site and see if I can find it. They go on sale at least twice a year for around $99 so..... You can also buy individual tools at napa too so you can add a 16mm wrench or anything else for that matter. I also have a double duty large slot /pry screwdriver.
View attachment 29866

And some more.....
View attachment 29867

View attachment 29868

View attachment 29869

Attachments

• 101_0009.jpg
    101_0009.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 8
  • 101_0004.jpg
    101_0004.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 101_0007.jpg
    101_0007.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 101_0006.jpg
    101_0006.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 5

PennTB02

Jan 26, 2012
TheGambler said:
well I know a lot of specific tools you need for the trailvoy off the top of my head from working on it and I went and bought a t27 driver for removing the strap from the hatch to get into the hatch when the latch broke. But I am really just wanting a tool kit I can take from one vehicle to another and if something happens on the side of the road or I am working on it I don't have to worry about digging though someone else's tools trying to find the tools I need.

I was wrong. I tatally missed which direction The Gambler was comming from.
I have a two or three NAPA tools and they are of high quality. Now days the Napa stores near me carry very, very few tools. They assume professional mechanics buy Snap-On, Mac or Matco and DIYers shop at Sears.

Gambler, would you post a list of those special/ out of the ordinarry/ odd size tools you have needed over the years?

P.S. Thanks sawicksted for refering to my 16mm comment.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online