Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

dmanns67

Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
EDIT: This discussion was moved to create a place for the discussion of this system and sensors and be easily searchable. Some of the following may not make complete sense due to being moved, but some good info follows:

I dont do a lot of shopping on Ebay, but I did buy (4) TPMS sensors and locking nuts off EBay Saturday for $130. My local tire shop wanted $360 :eek: Amazon wanted $180. The seller actually emailed me last night and said the package will be shipped Monday morning. Great communication.

The annoying part is the sensor itself does not go bad, its the watch battery inside of the sensor that fails. Due to "government regulations", the way the sensor is designed, the battery is NOT replaceable. What a joke.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
TPMS sensors seem like such a pita...

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

dmanns67

Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Capote said:
TPMS sensors seem like such a pita...
They are like anything else, they are a great safety feature, but can be a PITA. Right now I am getting a "Service Tire Sensor" on the DIC. One is definitely going bad, but it makes no sense to only replace one. Just like buying tires, you buy (4). They have lasted 8 years before having this issue with one. I think they are rated for 10 years.

The sensor did save my ass once. I was traveling from NC to KY on the interstate to see the wife. It was about midnight and the DIC warning came on for low tire pressure on the passenger rear. It gave me enough warning to find a truck stop so I was not stuck on the side of the road or had a blowout.

Of course when I needed my spare, it would not drop. I had to resort to fix-a-flat unfortunately. This stuff is horrible for a TMPS sensors. Luckily I had the fix a flat removed and tire repaired a few hours later.

Reactions: Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
The stealership used to screw my mom over with bs answers on why her TMPS sensors were always going off

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
dmanns67 said:
They are like anything else, they are a great safety feature, but can be a PITA. Right now I am getting a "Service Tire Sensor" on the DIC. One is definitely going bad, but it makes no sense to only replace one. Just like buying tires, you buy (4). They have lasted 8 years before having this issue with one. I think they are rated for 10 years.

The sensor did save my ass once. I was traveling from NC to KY on the interstate to see the wife. It was about midnight and the DIC warning came on for low tire pressure on the passenger rear. It gave me enough warning to find a truck stop so I was not stuck on the side of the road or had a blowout.

Of course when I needed my spare, it would not drop. I had to resort to fix-a-flat unfortunately. This stuff is horrible for a TMPS sensors. Luckily I had the fix a flat removed and tire repaired a few hours later.
You can't hack into them anyway? I have never looked at them, but I was planning to buy an aftermarket Tmps system to put in my truck when I get new tires forever from now.

dmanns67

Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
The warning comes off and on. The passenger side front tire has been the issue. When I get the warning and scroll through the tire pressures on the DIC, the passenger side front is blank. Then 10 minutes later, it will start reading again :crazy:

From what I have read, 99% of the time, the battery is failing. The other issue could be gumming up from using fix a flat and not getting it removed in time. I did not know that at the moment I used the stuff, but I was out of options.
You can't hack into them anyway? I have never looked at them, but I was planning to buy an aftermarket Tmps system to put in my truck when I get new tires forever from now.
Thats the government regulations. They do not want a battery door ao you can replace the battery. I guess they are worried the door would come open and have a battery loose inside of the tire.

They have a solid one piece plastic cover over the sensor. You might be able to open them up and replace the battery. Not sure how you would cover them again.

dmanns67

Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
BlazingTrails said:
I dunno, but i'm the kind of guy that would probably try. problem is you can't can't just take them off and mess with them, gotta pull the tire off the rim. they got us on that one. damn government :rotfl:
If anyone could find away, it would be you. How much do the aftermarket TPMS run?
Aarkon said:
Hvacc halfway done
[emoji14]ictures:

dmanns67

Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
BlazingTrails said:
Nice. I like that option better since they mount in the OE location versus something that mounts on the valve stem. It will look better and not have to worry about damage or theft being on the inside of the tire. Not a bad price either, costs way less than (4) new OE sensors.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
dmanns67 said:
Nice. I like that option better since they mount in the OE location versus something that mounts on the valve stem. It will look better and not have to worry about damage or theft being on the inside of the tire. Not a bad price either, costs way less than (4) new OE sensors.
Exactly, I may get it sooner than getting new tires, you don't really have to take the tires off. I would think they could squeeze a 40 series tire down enough to put that in? :undecided:

dmanns67

Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
BlazingTrails said:
Exactly, I may get it sooner than getting new tires, you don't really have to take the tires off. I would think they could squeeze a 40 series tire down enough to put that in? :undecided:
Thats a good question. They fit my 50 series. Doubt you would have any issues with 40.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
dmanns67 said:
Thats a good question. They fit my 50 series. Doubt you would have any issues with 40.
Well I'm sure they would fit in the tire, I meant whether they could just pop the tire loose from the rim and install the sensor without removing the tire completely. A friend of mine has a tire machine I may just do it myself.

tires.png

Reactions: Capote and dmanns67

dmanns67

Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
BlazingTrails said:
Well I'm sure they would fit in the tire, I meant whether they could just pop the tire loose from the rim and install the sensor without removing the tire completely. A friend of mine has a tire machine I may just do it myself.

attachicon.gif
tires.png
Gotcha. Good possibility. Install is not cheap. My local tire shop is going to charge me $100 for install. I guess for dismounting, mounting, and balancing the tires.

No idea what a stealership would charge :eek: Probably tell me I have to buy new rims with sensors since they cannot replace just the sensor :blinkhuh:

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
I picked up a new sensor from Amazon for 39.00 and free shipping with Amazon Prime. The dealer charged me 50.00 to install it and calibrate it with the rest of them.

dmanns67

Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
rcam81 said:
I picked up a new sensor from Amazon for 39.00 and free shipping with Amazon Prime. The dealer charged me 50.00 to install it and calibrate it with the rest of them.
Thats about right. I was pricing (4) sensors which came to $160 on Amazon. They did not come with the locking nuts and Amazon sold the hex nuts separately for $5 a piece which totaled the $180.

The EBay seller I found offered (4) sensors and (4) locking nuts for $130. Hard to pass up that deal.

$50 to install one seems quite expensive. $200 to install four :undecided:

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
They reused the hex nut. It came off easily and resealed. The sensor started acting up last january and finally died in december.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
dmanns67 said:
Thats about right. I was pricing (4) sensors which came to $160 on Amazon. They did not come with the locking nuts and Amazon sold the hex nuts separately for $5 a piece which totaled the $180.

The EBay seller I found offered (4) sensors and (4) locking nuts for $130. Hard to pass up that deal.

$50 to install one seems quite expensive. $200 to install four :undecided:
I did mine and they installed them without disturbing the balance, just broke the bead on one side. If you bought AC Delco sensors check the date code, it looks like a minuture clock...you don't want to go through the trouble and expense when you've already spent three years of life on a shelf. I went with Amazon for that reason, other sellers couldn't give me the date code, hopefully you lucked out...Mike.
ps AZ has the nut kits for less than $2 ea.

Reactions: Sib and dmanns67

dmanns67

Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
northcreek said:
I did mine and they installed them without disturbing the balance, just broke the bead on one side. If you bought AC Delco sensors check the date code, it looks like a minuture clock...you don't want to go through the trouble and expense when you've already spent three years of life on a shelf. I went with Amazon for that reason, other sellers couldn't give me the date code, hopefully you lucked out...Mike.
ps AZ has the nut kits for less than $2 ea.
I did buy AC Delco sensors, part # 25774006. Thanks for the info. I will check the date code when they arrive. Hopefully they are relatively new.

Rich-MarionOH

Jun 20, 2014
Marion, OH
I have a 2008 Trail Blazer LT with the I6 engine. One of my TPMS units has died. In looking up the part numbers so I can get a new unit, I've found two numbers for the same application. Part # 25774006 Code UJ6 and part # 25774007 Code UH3. How do I figure out which one is the one I actually need? Are the code numbers on the original units? My luck, I buy one and it's the other.... LOL.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Check the RPO codes in your glove box for one of those two codes. Pick the one that matches.

Reactions: dmanns67

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
I have a 2008 Trail Blazer LT with the I6 engine. One of my TPMS units has died. In looking up the part numbers so I can get a new unit, I've found two numbers for the same application. Part # 25774006 Code UJ6 and part # 25774007 Code UH3. How do I figure out which one is the one I actually need? Are the code numbers on the original units? My luck, I buy one and it's the other.... LOL.
Rock auto indicates the 006 tpms for my 08 Ascender. I dont have a Dic so I dont know if that makes a difference.

dmanns67

Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Rock auto indicates the 006 tpms for my 08 Ascender. I dont have a Dic so I dont know if that makes a difference.

You can confirm that is the correct TPMS sensor by looking at the data plate in your glove box. You should see the code UJ6.

Having a DIC will not make a difference, but I never understood why GM would install the system on vehicles and not install a DIC. Without a DIC, all you get is a warning light on your dash. At least with a DIC, you can visually see your tire pressures and you can also see which sensor in which tire has lost signal when you get a message to "Service Tire Monitor".

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Because it was government mandated in 07 or 08 that all vehicles are to have a TPMS system. On base models, that meant an idiot light.

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
Because it was government mandated in 07 or 08 that all vehicles are to have a TPMS system. On base models, that meant an idiot light.
On some of the other manufacturers vehicles, its just an idiot light too. Mt daughters new Escape just has a light.

sunrisor

Dec 3, 2014
I have a '08 Envoy, and will be replacing the tires in a few weeks. (...ok I'm prepared for the onslaught...) I find the TPMS a bit annoying (almost as much as 'torque management'...almost:Banghead:). Has anyone found a way to turn it off? That way I can have 2-dollar tire valves installed, and check the tire pressures myself, which I've done on every vehicle I've ever had since 197x...something.:frown:

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
i have tried to find a way to do that also.
i run diff. rims and tires in the winter and they do not have TPMS.
with in 10 miles of switching the rims and tires the light comes on and the message in the DIC comes on. i have just learned to deal with it for the winter months. just means pressing the back arrow on the steering wheel to get the ODO to appear, and just ignore the warning light.
i had talked with a friend that is a mechanic @ a dealership. He said it is illegal for them to disconnect the system.
i suppose you could pull the cluster apart and disable the the warning light. if you choose to go w/out the TPMS.

dmanns67

Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I have a '08 Envoy, and will be replacing the tires in a few weeks. (...ok I'm prepared for the onslaught...) I find the TPMS a bit annoying (almost as much as 'torque management'...almost:Banghead:). Has anyone found a way to turn it off? That way I can have 2-dollar tire valves installed, and check the tire pressures myself, which I've done on every vehicle I've ever had since 197x...something.:frown:

What do you find annoying about the safety feature of the TPMS? I am with you on the price. I have summer and winter wheels and both sets have TPMS sensors. Just last winter I replaced all (4) sensors in my winter wheels which ran about $130.00 for the sensors alone. Most of the time when these sensors go bad, it is due to the battery failing. Most sensors have a life of 8-10 years. Sadly, due to the NHTSA, there is no battery door on the sensor so you can just replace the battery. Its a completely sealed unit. I assume this would be to prevent a loose battery from banging around inside of your tire if the battery door happen to come open.

Most of us check our tire pressure on at least a weekly basis, especially in the winter months, but for those owners that don't, it will give them a warning to check the tire. More importantly, IMO, the TPMS will alert you when you have a drop in pressure of 25% or more while driving, cant check tire pressures while you're moving. I am pro TPMS as it has saved me before. Traveling from NC to KY at 0200 in the morning and one tire picked up a nail/piece of metal and the early warning of the TPMS allowed me enough time to find an exit and get to a well lit area of a gas station. That's a better scenario than figuring out your tire is almost flat at 70mph and having to change the tire on the side of the highway.

I know disabling the TPMS was talked about a lot with the SS owners with those members running aftermarket wheels or drag setups. A few of them tried to use the TechII and also went to the dealership to have the TPMS disabled and both attempts were unsuccessful. They can see the TPMS on is enabled on the TechII, but does not give them an option to disable.

However, I have also read that SS owners have pulled fuses #3 and #19 from the rear fuse box. This disabled the TPMS for them, but also disabled remote keyless entry. If you can live without RKE, then this would be an option.

I would assume the option to disable the TPMS via the TechII/dealership is not there because this is a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard for all vehicle manufactures by the NHTSA.

From what I have read, the TPMS safety standard began the phase-in process in October 2005 and vehicle manufacturers had until September 2008 to fully comply with the new safety standard.

Reactions: fletch09

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
On my 08 Montana, I invested in a set of sensors for the winter wheels and they outlasted the tires. Just have to reprogram them to the vehicle in the fall and spring when switching.

dmanns67

Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I am glad GM made it possible to do the programming manually by the owner versus having to take the vehicle to the tire shop or dealership.

You have to reprogram the sensors when you rotate your tires so that they system knows what position the sensors have moved to. If not, any readings you see on the DIC for low tire pressure, will give you the wrong location.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online