Tire Comparison

TheGambler

Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
I have an 03 GMC Envoy it came with stock Michelin cross terrain now I need new some tires I have narrowed it down and wanted your guys oppinion. I live in NW Pa So I get up wards of 4' of snow in one winter

Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10
Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

Cooper Discoverer A/T3

This one really interests me

Falken Rocky Mountain ATS

Nitto Terra Grappler AT

right now I have studded Wintercat STT on my car for the winter but I realize that in NW pa We get snow and I know that some "All Season" are not the same so I try to go for the more aggressive because of the snow and the mud that I will be facing in the spring (back dirt roads) I look forward to your responce

Ed H

Oct 18, 2012
I have no experience with those tires, but I have heard absolutely excellent reviews for the Bridgestone Dueler and the Michelin LTX M/S. They seem to lead the pack for our platform, unless you can install dedicated snow/ice tires on different rims for winter.. I am going Michelin as soon as I can afford it (aka - after the holidays). :wink:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Started with the Cross Terrains and I liked them but they weren't great in the snow and for towing I feel the sidewalls are not beefy enough.

The Latitude Tour was great, very quiet but in the rain the hydroplaning resistance could have been better.

I currently have the Continental Cross Contact LX-20, not to be confused with the standard Cross Contact. I like them the most and will probably replace these with another set when the time comes. Wet weather traction is phenomenal, towing I like them alot...very stable. Overall a quiet tire and neither of the before mentioned Michelins can match it in terms of overall handling.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Here's a lower cost option that I've heard good things about. These are sizes that will be good without a lift or other mods.

for 16"

[EBAY]160753046988[/EBAY] [EBAY]150701343704[/EBAY]

[EBAY]150955375965[/EBAY]

for 17"

[EBAY]360491571996[/EBAY] [EBAY]150701343787[/EBAY]

BaDAppLe

Jun 28, 2012
I run the Hankook Dynapro atm on my TB. I only had then on about 6000 miles so far , but they are real good in the mud as they tend to be self cleaning. I can say they are very smooth,and quiet for some what of a aggressive tire. They are loaded with sipes so should be pretty good in the snow and ice. FWIW I live near Buffalo NY, and we get around 120 inches of snow a year!

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Have you considered the General Grabber AT2 tires. I looked at the Hankook's, the Cooper and the Nitto options, the General's had better reviews overall and the best for snow from my research. I have put about 1000 miles on them and I love them. They do have a bit more road noise than my last tires (Fuzion XTi) they grip better than any tire I have used and they do not feel bad at all while driving. I have found my happy pressure to be about 60 PSI and I like the way they feel. Shipped and with installation I paid about $740 for all 4. If you have a local walmart you can ship to store and have installed for the same or a bit less. I went with the 245/75-16, gave the truck an aggressive stance and about 3/4-1" of lift over stock. Keep in mind these have a load rating of -E, which is alot more than stock and the face are 6 ply and the sidewalls are 2, they are very stiff.

Dec 4, 2011
Tires are such a personal choice item but I will throw my :twocents: in. I have always had good luck with Coopers so when it comes time to switch out the Cross Terrains I will go with the Discoverer CTS's. My son-in-law has the AT3's and really like them. I prefer a little smoother ride but driving his pathfinder I don't find the AT3's objectionable. My only complaint is that Cooper has the original replacement size for my Denali but when I bought the Denali the tires had be changed out 275/55-18's and I really like the larger tread width. The closest Cooper is a 255/55-18 which is almost an 1" narrower. :sadcry:

I find with Cooper you get excellent tires at very reasonable price. There are no "have to live with traits" with these tires and most of the reviews I have read are very positive. :thumbsup:

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
I have had a set of CTS's for 2 years. I drive 30 miles one way to work on non-highway Michigan roads. These tires are doing great. I also have a set of CS4's on my Grand Prix and love the way that they perform.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
I cant comment on those personally, but Ive heard good things on the Hankook Dynapros, Cooper AT3s, and the Nitto Terra Grappler ATs.

Ive had Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos on my 02 and they were absolutely great until they got about 35k on then, then the snow traction went out the window. I liked them so much that I bought a set of Revo 2s and put them on some 17s for winter wheels for my SS.

Currently I have Kumho Road Venture APT KL61s on my 02, I havent driven them in snow personally but my brother says they do better than the Revo 2s. He has in Bozeman, MT all winter so he gets a bunch of snow. They are pretty good wet and dry as well, plus quiet on the highway. I paid $125+ship a tire for 265/70R16 so Im pretty happy with them overall. :twocents:

TheGambler

Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
Have you considered the General Grabber AT2 tires. I looked at the Hankook's, the Cooper and the Nitto options, the General's had better reviews overall and the best for snow from my research. I have put about 1000 miles on them and I love them. They do have a bit more road noise than my last tires (Fuzion XTi) they grip better than any tire I have used and they do not feel bad at all while driving. I have found my happy pressure to be about 60 PSI and I like the way they feel. Shipped and with installation I paid about $740 for all 4. If you have a local walmart you can ship to store and have installed for the same or a bit less. I went with the 245/75-16, gave the truck an aggressive stance and about 3/4-1" of lift over stock. Keep in mind these have a load rating of -E, which is alot more than stock and the face are 6 ply and the sidewalls are 2, they are very stiff.

Well With my shitty Luck they don't make them in my Stock 245/65R17 size and I really can't change sizes because my Envoy is stock so I can't go bigger. I wish I could get them. I Might look into some Kumho Road Venture AT though I got like 5 months to save up some money for them so I got time.

- - - Updated - - -

blazinlow89 said:

Well With my shitty Luck they don't make them in my Stock 245/65R17 size and I really can't change sizes because my Envoy is stock so I can't go bigger. I wish I could get them. I Might look into some Kumho Road Venture AT though I got like 5 months to save up some money for them so I got time.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
TheGambler said:

- - - Updated - - -

You can run 30.5" stock. I had to up size as they did not make a 245/70-16, instead I went with the 245/75-16. Filled the wheel wells out nicely and bumped the height of the truck up about an inch (guesstimate). Never did measure stock height.

They do make a 245/70-17

Grabber AT2

I did notice the road noise went down quite a bit after driving on them for a little while. However my fiance equates my truck to a john deere tractor :rotfl:. She says the ride feels alot smoother since I bumped the pressure up and driven on them for a little while.

moneypit

Dec 7, 2011
I ended up getting Firestone Destination A/T 265/65/17 and "extra wheels stock off CL" which worked great for winter. no mods-all stock, got 'em on a buy 3 get 1 free deal.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
TheGambler said:
With my shitty Luck they don't make them in my Stock 245/65R17 size and I really can't change sizes because my Envoy is stock so I can't go bigger. I wish I could get them. I Might look into some Kumho Road Venture AT though I got like 5 months to save up some money for them so I got time.

Who told you that? Just because Walmart (and other chains) won't do it doesn't mean you can't

Steveinfl

Dec 6, 2011
I recently bought a set of four Michelin ltx ms2's for $780 installed with lifetime rotation and balance. Cosco does a nice job. The only issue I had is they will not deviate from the factory specified size. Quite happy with them and the service techs looked more competent than most.

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
gmcman said:
Started with the Cross Terrains and I liked them but they weren't great in the snow and for towing I feel the sidewalls are not beefy enough.
QUOTE]

The cross-terrains were terrible. I kept up on the inflation pressure, and we didn't even get 40,000 miles out of them before they were worn down to the wear bars :frown: Our tire shop also warned us that they were severely weather checked, but I kept them until we absolutely had to replace them. They also had a tendency to hydroplane, not good in Oregon!

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
BTW, the last time we bought tires, we bought the Goodyear Fortera HL. It wasn't even on my shopping list, but we got such a good deal with them, we couldn't pass them up :thumbsup: Very quiet tire, and much better traction in the rain than the stock Michelin Cross-Terrains. I wanted a set of Cooper Discoverer AT/3's...

TheGambler

Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Short Bus said:
Who told you that? Just because Walmart (and other chains) won't do it doesn't mean you can't

Tiredirect.com said when I put in the vehicle and also someone on trailvoy said they went bigger and rubbed. I don't go to walmart for tires. I mounted my tires myself and if our balancer worked I would balance them myself to. Fuck paying someone to do something I can do. thought I had to get mine balanced by someone but our balance is broke.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
TheGambler said:
Tiredirect.com said when I put in the vehicle and also someone on trailvoy said they went bigger and rubbed. I don't go to walmart for tires. I mounted my tires myself and if our balancer worked I would balance them myself to. Fuck paying someone to do something I can do. thought I had to get mine balanced by someone but our balance is broke.

You can go up to about 30.5" before you hit the upper ball joint. 265/65/17 is about the max, but might rub with an aggressive tread. Even then you can grind the ball joint a little and be good to go.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Short Bus said:
You can go up to about 30.5" before you hit the upper ball joint. 265/65/17 is about the max, but might rub with an aggressive tread. Even then you can grind the ball joint a little and be good to go.

The generals (245/75-16) clear fine, about 3/4 of an inch between the tread and the ball joint. Tire for the 17 should be equal size (245/70-17).

I use Walmart for the mount and balance only because they are the cheapest (by about $50) and they are the only place that does not complain when I stand in the bay and watch. Mr. Tire did not care last time but they wanted $24.99+ tax to mount, balance and put in a new valve stem, it is an extra $3 per tire to dispose of them. Walmart was $67 for everything out the door, took about 45 minutes and I told the guy I wanted to put one of the mounted tires on the front to make sure it cleared. No issues.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
Short Bus said:

I wouldn't grind a structural suspension component like a ball joint at all.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DIY Professional