1. We are working on the forum's attachment system. Attachments and avatars will be intermittently affected over the next 24 hours.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips on tracking down a power steering leak?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by littleblazer, Mar 9, 2017.

1. littleblazer

littleblazer Gold Supporter

03 escalade, this thing will kill me. It developed a power steering leak and lost about a quart in a 2 month period... but it isn't leaving any more drips than normal in the driveway. (It's leaked 160k out of the 206k we've had it) Anyone have a method for hunting this leak down? I can't just pressurize the system I think so I'll actually have to catch it in the act. UV dye and a blacklight perhaps?

2. Capote

Capote Gold Supporter

Have someone bind up the steering while you're under it and keep an eye out.

3. HARDTRAILZ

HARDTRAILZ Moderator

Clean everything and then get under there while someone works the wheel around

Mounce and Capote like this.
  4. Mooseman

Mooseman Moderator

Brake clean everything or use a pressure washer. UV dye is also a good idea after that.

5. littleblazer

Thanks gents. I was planning on de-greasing to start anyway. It's pretty clean at the moment as I gave everything a good hosedown when I replaced the rad back in November. Let you know the outcome come this weekend.

Capote likes this.
  6. Capote

Capote Gold Supporter

My TB has had a PS leak for a year, never got to fixing it for good. My truck is caked with grime that has gotten stuck to the PS fluid and oil from a very old valve cover leak from 2yrs ago all over the undercarriage. It would take a whole weekend to clean it all up.

7. littleblazer

I just hit it with a ton of spray nine and let it sit then hose off. It all mostly comes off that way. Enough to find a problem at least.

8. Mounce

Mounce Silver Supporter

Yeah definitely clean it up then check it for a few days till you see the schmoo. Make sure to get all ps lines clean, most have a common leak point at the compression splice or what have you where it goes from line to hose. Also hit the rack, pump, and other major components pretty well. Sounds like common sense but some get caught up on stuff like this thinking it's one thing and barely look at the rest.

I'm voting line or pump.

9. littleblazer

Update: brake booster is saturated, nothing else seems bad... not cleaning at 25 degrees.

10. Capote

Capote Gold Supporter

Is the Escalades brake booster in a similar spot in comparison to ours? If-so, it could be a bad seal where the lines connect to the rack.

11. littleblazer

Yea but it is hydraulic boost so it uses the power steering, looks like one of those lines is failing at the booster it would seem.