time for struts now

dannyoaks

Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
Hello, I have a 06 envoy 2wd, a recent inspection revealed a leaking strut, after 100k miles, I'm not upset, now to the nitty gritty, what strut should I replace it with? Oem, Monroe sensa Trac, or bilstiens? Thanks for any help, oh and ride comfort is my main goal

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Everyone will have their own preferences, but I personally went with Monroe. I was around 98K miles when I replaced mine as well.

I noticed a big difference in the ride quality. Just as good, if not better, than the first day I bought my TB with 15K miles after replacing with Monroe.

There is quite a few members who went with Bilsteins who can chime in.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Bilstein +1 here.

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
I put the bilstiens on and like them. At the same time I did the sway barlinks and bushings.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Today is day 5 of having Bilstein HD's on and I wonder why I waited so long.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I took my lame OEM black bilsteins off at 9000 miles for my first lift kit and new hd bilsteins. Delaying the upgrade has no purpose.

jpimp

Feb 1, 2013
+1 Bilstein HD
Love the ride quality, and reduced body roll.
Edit: put monroe sensa trac's all around on my mini jimmy a few months ago and I hate the ride quality, it's just too rough and stiff.

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
Great info guys, We've found that its time for this on Mom's 06 Envoy as well. Did you all go with a quick strut type assembly where springs and all are new? I went this route with Monroe Sensatrac quick struts on my Envoy - the ride is fine but the springs have sagged leaving me with a forward rake. Now I don't know what to do when it comes to replacing Mom's :confused: What do you all recommend?

smt 59

Hey 04,

I went with the Monroe quick strut system, I talked to a bilstein supplier and the do not have the quick strut system, if I go back to factory system I have to purchase bearings, mounts springs etc. very costly as the installer of the Monroes threw out everything that I need to convert back. Hope this helps, if you go quick strut keep all the old parts except the strut shock.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
IIRC, Monroe will sell you bare springs for you to put into your struts. Of course, if you went the expedient quick-strut route because you don't have the tools or mentoring to compress these moosy springs, then you're stuck buying another set of the cheapie quick-struts.

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
You're confirming my suspicions I believe, but just so were straight: Its better to go with new shock struts in the factory springs than to go with quick struts, correct?

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Yes. Replace only the cartridge. I asked around where I live and the price for replacing them OFF THE VEHICLE ranged from $40/per to $80/per. I says to myself, "Bonk that noise" and rented the spring compressor from Auto Zone (you gets your money back when you return it). I had them both off the vehicle, one changed over and ready to reinstall in about an hour and a half when I ran out of decent neighbor light. (I didn't want to be banging on the other one to get the old cartridge out as it was after 9 p.m.) I came out the next morning and save for one snag (had to get a torch to cut off the top nut as it was rusted), everything was back together in about an hour.

Use this - Strut and Shock Install - Truck Test Digest - and rent the 27036 spring compressor from Auto Zone and you should be fine.

(I say this with the understanding that you know that compressed springs are dangerous. If you do this yourself, you take all responsibility. It sucks that I or anyone else has to say this, but this is what our nation of pu$$ies have come to. Not you personally, but society in general.)

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
C-ya said:
Yes. Replace only the cartridge. I asked around where I live and the price for replacing them OFF THE VEHICLE ranged from $40/per to $80/per. I says to myself, "Bonk that noise" and rented the spring compressor from Auto Zone (you gets your money back when you return it). I had them both off the vehicle, one changed over and ready to reinstall in about an hour and a half when I ran out of decent neighbor light. (I didn't want to be banging on the other one to get the old cartridge out as it was after 9 p.m.) I came out the next morning and save for one snag (had to get a torch to cut off the top nut as it was rusted), everything was back together in about an hour.

Use this - Strut and Shock Install - Truck Test Digest - and rent the 27036 spring compressor from Auto Zone and you should be fine.

(I say this with the understanding that you know that compressed springs are dangerous. If you do this yourself, you take all responsibility. It sucks that I or anyone else has to say this, but this is what our nation of pu$$ies have come to. Not you personally, but society in general.)

Thanks, this is extremely helpful! :thumbsup:

I completely agree with those last few sentences too, I'm on a golf cart forum and I have to add a similar disclaimer every time I post how to test something so that any fried equipment or runaway carts aren't labeled somehow as "my fault." It's a shame that common sense isn't that common anymore.

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
the roadie said:
I took my lame OEM black bilsteins off at 9000 miles for my first lift kit and new hd bilsteins. Delaying the upgrade has no purpose.

Oh Dear, Oh Dear, Oh Dear. :duh::duh:

I don't know the full service history of the missus's TB, and I fear I have mistaken the Bilstein tag as replacement struts somewhere along the line, when in fact they may still be the original OEM struts....still on after 1450,000 miles and 12 years.

They look in need of replacement and are on my list of (warmer weather) jobs to get done.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011

Indybp57

Jan 9, 2012
I went with the Bilstein cartridges on the front of my Trailblazer and had a heck of a time getting the clamp spread wide enough to get the old cartridge out. I could get it loose but had trouble driving it past the ridge where the clamp bolt nestled against the groove in the cartridge. Finally drove a cold chisel through the tangs on the clamp to spread them then took a BFH and beat the crap out of the end of the cartridge to finally drive it out. New ones went in like a charm and would give a +1 on the Bilsteins. Very nice ride.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Since I know you guys will be doing the rears at the same time, don't sweat them at all. It takes about 20 minutes to change them both. The upper is fastened by a bolt into a captive nut, so don't worry about trying to get a wrench or socket onto it. Just zip it with an air gun or your ratchet. I didn't even take the rear tires off. I just backed up onto my ramps and got to it. If you have a floor jack, it will help to compress the shock up into the lower mount after mounting it with the upper bolt, but I was able to push it up and slide the bolt in - only after pinching my daughter's finger and mine.

dannyoaks

Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
It appears I cannot find bilstein struts, but I can find ac delco part number 903015rs, with new spring already mounted, does anyone know of this?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
dannyoaks said:
It appears I cannot find bilstein struts, but I can find ac delco part number 903015rs, with new spring already mounted, does anyone know of this?

Shockwarehouse.com, about $67 each for the struts.

dannyoaks

Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
Well I just submitted my order for a pair of bilstiens from shockwarehouse, lets see how it goes

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
dannyoaks said:
Well I just submitted my order for a pair of bilstiens from shockwarehouse, lets see how it goes

Don't forget the upper mounts, I used the KYB ones.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I was worried about ship out times from shockwarehouse.com and when I would receive them. Many posts of some who waited weeks.

Not being able to call and speak to someone raised more hairs.I called summit racing, paid like a dollar or two more than shockwarehouse and got them in 2 days. Two!

Eshocks (?) an online retailer also has good prices. Again, no one to speak with. Summitracing answered and I wasn't put on hold.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
My first set of Bilsteins came from Shockwarehouse. I know sometimes they have longer lead times so I got them from Autoplicity next time around as I needed them ASAP. Slightly cheaper, came in just a couple days, I was happy.

dannyoaks

Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
I'm in no huge rush, my struts aren't leaking bad yet, and too I can't work on my car until march

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Playsinsnow said:
I was worried about ship out times from shockwarehouse.com and when I would receive them. Many posts of some who waited weeks.

Not being able to call and speak to someone raised more hairs.I called summit racing, paid like a dollar or two more than shockwarehouse and got them in 2 days. Two!

Eshocks (?) an online retailer also has good prices. Again, no one to speak with. Summitracing answered and I wasn't put on hold.

I called shock warehouse about 2 hours after I ordered to add the upper spring mounts to the order. Guy answered the phone, added them to the order and gave me the new total. It was about 4:30 in the afternoon during the week. Summit was out of stock when I was looking, and Eshocks was higher priced.

Order was placed on a Friday, it was after 2 so they processed for Monday, received on Wednesday.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I got my Envoy's rear shocks from Shock Warehouse and had them within a week.

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392602519.354977.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392602519.354977.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 15
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392602545.054780.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392602545.054780.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 14

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
Playsinsnow said:

I just got mine from shockwarehouse in 2 days. Now I just need the time to work on it.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
I called shock warehouse about 2 hours after I ordered to add the upper spring mounts to the order. Guy answered the phone, added them to the order and gave me the new total. It was about 4:30 in the afternoon during the week. Summit was out of stock when I was looking, and Eshocks was higher priced.

Order was placed on a Friday, it was after 2 so they processed for Monday, received on Wednesday.

Must be my luck. I was waiting to call until they were available in the morning as I work overnights and wanted the shocks NOW. I wasn't going to wait more than a week regardless of price. I killed two hours waiting and spent five minutes on the phone with Summit. I wish they would've answered at any point for me :frown:

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Playsinsnow said:
Must be my luck. I was waiting to call until they were available in the morning as I work overnights and wanted the shocks NOW. I wasn't going to wait more than a week regardless of price. I killed two hours waiting and spent five minutes on the phone with Summit. I wish they would've answered at any point for me :frown:

Must be. I've read some bad reviews about GMPartsDirect but I myself had great service overall, for the price. CPAS was like $44 (including S&H). I accidentally marked the wrong state for my shipping address and left them an email Sunday about the correction, by 0830 Monday morning (and they usually say about 3 business hours before a response) I had an email telling me it was fixed. They say it takes 7-10 days to ship, mine had the "special order" star and it still got to my house in 5 business days (must have been in their local warehouse). I either got lucky or the bad reviewers just got very unlucky (or were going about it all wrong!)

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
Playsinsnow said:

When you planning on installing them? We should get together and knock both our TBs out at the same time.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Hypnotoad said:
When you planning on installing them? We should get together and knock both our TBs out at the same time.

Put them in 2 weeks before Christmas. :thumbsup:

I have a list to order in next month, just have to wait for the thaw and see what is needed. Tie rods, bjs, hubs would be ideal. Want to look at the arms first in case I just get them instead. And then scheduling a time to get to Elk River. Drove 169/10 yesterday.

I'd say 130k is about the outer limits for oem front suspension that spent two years getting beat up and five babysat.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
Playsinsnow said:
Put them in 2 weeks before Christmas. :thumbsup:

I have a list to order in next month, just have to wait for the thaw and see what is needed. Tie rods, bjs, hubs would be ideal. Want to look at the arms first in case I just get them instead. And then scheduling a time to get to Elk River. Drove 169/10 yesterday.

I'd say 130k is about the outer limits for oem front suspension that spent two years getting beat up and five babysat.

Then you came within a mile or 2 of my place.

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
On your guys' recommendation, I replaced my 162k shocks and struts with Bilstein HDs. I followed the guide you guys suggested. The rears were a piece of cake. You don't even have to take the wheels off. The front were a completely different animal. I don't think there was a bolt or nut up there that didn't need a hammer, propane torch, a pickle fork, or all three. I feel accomplished, but I have decided that the Rust Belt sucks.

Jared

Attachments

• 2014-02-28 11.48.58.jpg
    2014-02-28 11.48.58.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 2014-03-04 13.44.28.jpg
    2014-03-04 13.44.28.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 15

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member