Time for all good members to come to the aid of the site

Discussion in 'Site News' started by The_Roadie, Aug 3, 2014.

1. The_Roadie

The_Roadie Administrator

Admin Post
    In a few months, GMTN is going to be three years old, and coincidentally, our hosting bill comes due. After the forum software upgrade, our Google ranking took a huge hit, and not all the owners who more desperately than ever need our help - are finding us.

They're still finding Trailvoy. :hissyfit:

If you believe in our non-profit mission as passionately as the all-volunteer staff does, please consider signing up with a membership or even an additional contribution. Otherwise revenue is going to come in short of the hosting need, and staff will have to chip in out of pocket. Trying to head that possibility off at the pass. GMTN is not in danger of going off the air, but the community here seems to appreciate the difference between us and Trailvoy. That involves more dependence on the members, and less on intrusive advertising. In the threads. In your in-box. In your galleries.

To the existing and renewing Premium Members - our sincere thanks. To anyone else who can possibly help us out - we'd love to count on your support.

Tapatalk is doing us no favors, because I don't see any way that they show the site's "DONATE" button, but if you're on a computer or using the mobile site, it's at the navigation bar at the top of all the forum views. Or you can click here: http://gmtnation.com/forums/store/category/1-gmtnation-subscriptions/ and subscribe at whatever level you can, and feel the site is worth in your estimation.

Back to your regularly scheduled weekends!

Bill

2. JamesL3

JamesL3 Well-Known Member

Come payday I'm in.

The_Roadie and Hypnotoad like this.
  3. The_Roadie

The_Roadie Administrator

Admin Post
    In response to a PM, I'm asking Jimmy if we can add a pure one-time donation option, so members who already have a recurring membership can do something extra as finances allow. Can't guarantee this is possible, but I'm looking into it.

And James - thanks.

If we only had a dollar from everyone who says our assistance and articles saved them hundreds of $$ at the dealer, the site's existence would be assured in perpetuity.

4. STLtrailbSS

STLtrailbSS Well-Known Member

Alright just got the 20/per6 plan. Lets do it guys!

dmanns67, The_Roadie and djthumper like this.
  5. dfc739

dfc739 Well-Known Member

What about merchandise? I was looking forward to getting a shirt or two and decals but there isn't anything listed in the store.

CaptainKD, Mike w, skamphax0r and 2 others like this.
  6. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Well-Known Member

This would be nice.

dmanns67 likes this.
  7. HARDTRAILZ

HARDTRAILZ Moderator

Re-subscribed. Did not realize I was not anymore.

8. The_Roadie

The_Roadie Administrator

Admin Post
    Jimmy did indeed just add a pure donation option. Thx jman423!

To further distance ourselves from the evil Vertical Scope running trailvoy now, memberships are no longer auto-renew. You'll get notified by email, but it's not our style to try to "trick" anyone into renewing. If you see MORE value in the site as time goes on, renewal time is perfect to upgrade a membership to a higher donation level.

Thanks from the entire ownership community and staff to anyone able to respond to this reluctant appeal.

dmanns67, JamesL3 and BlazingTrails like this.
  9. AtlWrk

AtlWrk Well-Known Member

When I add a membership to the cart I get an additional dropdown "Associate This Package" with a single blank option. What is this? Happens on both my computer and mobile.

10. Decado

Decado Well-Known Member

I don't post much but I lurk often and have found lots of good advice on this forum. I've been a member of many forums and moderate a couple, so I know it's not easy or cheap work, often times going unappreciated. The staff here does a great job, so thank you. I just made a donation to help the cause and accompany the appreciation. :thumbsup: Keep up the good work.

11. The_Roadie

The_Roadie Administrator

Admin Post
    Staff is about at the limit of their available time, and I believe we would welcome a volunteer ""Merchandise coordinator" to handle stuff like this. Any enthusiasts?

Curious. You can ignore it, but I just asked Jimmy why it appears. Will get back to you on this one.

BlazingTrails and AtlWrk like this.
  12. Mark20

Mark20 Well-Known Member

Done!

The_Roadie likes this.
  13. The_Roadie

The_Roadie Administrator

Admin Post
    Appreciated. Especially folks who joined on the "Great Mass Migration and Jailbreak From Trailvoy Day" know how much the non-profit mission of this community needs to keep alive.

BlazingTrails likes this.
  14. HARDTRAILZ

HARDTRAILZ Moderator

That day should be a holiday! Everyone gets off work to attend a local meet.

15. IllogicTC

IllogicTC Well-Known Member

My membership expired in two days. Renewed, and tossed on a $7.29 donation from a gift card I had sitting here.

If anyone has any Visa giftcards or anything laying around with just a few bucks that you never seem to end up remembering to use, this could be your time to shine! If you have >$10 left on it you can get a 6-month membership!

Robbabob, The_Roadie and dmanns67 like this.
  16. dmanns67

dmanns67 Well-Known Member

If you are already a premium supporter and would like to donate do you go to "Buy Gift Voucher"? Below are the only options I see. I was looking for something along the lines of "One Time Donation". Do I just need to add another premium membership to the cart?

Product Categories

Gift Vouchers
    **EDIT: Nevermind, seen the "Support GMTN Donate" button on the right hand side of the screen right above the Community Sponsors** :duh:

BlazingTrails likes this.
  17. RayGumm

RayGumm Well-Known Member

Donation done did. :thumbsup:

dmanns67, The_Roadie and HARDTRAILZ like this.
  18. The_Roadie

The_Roadie Administrator

Admin Post
    You guys are great! And it makes me look good to Jimmy, who wasn't sure I could run a proper NPR-style beg-a-thon. I think he was worried I'd drive people AWAY. :wink:

But remember - it's not for me, it's to make sure the site is here for new owners yet to find us, who are adopting poor trucks who have been abused and neglected by their former owners, who brought them to the used truck shelter, not caring if they were euthanized or adopted out. :frown:

dfc739, dmanns67 and Jman423 like this.
  19. RayGumm

RayGumm Well-Known Member

Give our trucks a forever home! :smile:

20. The_Roadie

The_Roadie Administrator

Admin Post
    Hmmmmmm......51 Premium Members.....6200 total.

Not even 1%......Hmmmmm.

The begging will continue until I see 11 more memberships and we get to 1% supporter ratio.

I'm actually not sure how the count works out for Mods who are also contributors, and if there are folks who can donate only without being full Premium Members.....We thank everyone who's stepping up, but I'd still like to see 11 more of the regular long-term community members come into the group, or come back if they had memberships that they let lapse.

dogadoption1.jpg

RayGumm likes this.
  21. JamesL3

JamesL3 Well-Known Member

I'm in on the 15th. Hopefully others will be too!

RayGumm, dmanns67 and The_Roadie like this.
  22. High Voltage

High Voltage Well-Known Member

Done!!! As much as this site has saved me already and what it will save me in the future!!!! $$$$$$ well spent!!

23. IllogicTC

IllogicTC Well-Known Member

Anyone who would like to make a donation without becoming a premium-level supporter should be able to use this link:

DONATION LINK

It should take you to a page that will allow you to enter a USD amount and hit Donate, then run you through a small PayPal processing thing.

RayGumm and dmanns67 like this.
  24. Capote

Capote Gold Supporter

Yup next payday i'll donate :thumbsup:

RayGumm and dmanns67 like this.
  25. Mike w

Mike w Well-Known Member

DONE!!

RayGumm, The_Roadie and High Voltage like this.
  26. christo829

christo829 Well-Known Member

Just upgraded, and I'll toss in a bit more next pay period.

Cheers-

Chris

RayGumm, dmanns67 and The_Roadie like this.
  27. The_Roadie

The_Roadie Administrator

Admin Post
    OK, let's keep the momentum up. I'm not naming names, but over 15 of the top 40 posters are not current on their memberships. I know not all of ya have sold your trucks and moved on like some I know.

For up to ten of the top 50 posters, renewing their memberships by Monday, I'll donate an extra $10 to the pot.

Come on, it's your chance to cost the Roadie money and help the site!

28. BlazingTrails

BlazingTrails Banned

Lol David, I was looking everywhere under the donate tab. i didn't realize it was on the main forum page until i read your post. :woot: :tiphat:

Robbabob and dmanns67 like this.
  29. Mooseman

Mooseman Moderator

Done so pay up Roadie! I had been mooching long enough but I did contribute by hosting the manuals since the beginning.

30. dmanns67

dmanns67 Well-Known Member

Membership is already current, but went ahead and made an additional donation. Does that qualify for Roadie Bucks :undecided: :popcorn:

I have to say that this is the first website that I have ever purchased a membership through or donated money to. (Aside from websites that you are paying for a service like Netflix, etc.)

It was nice to talk to Ghoster at Carlisle to get an idea of what the monthly running cost of this website is and I was surprised to hear that whatever money GMTN was deficient to cover the monthly bills, you guys step up and pay directly out of your own pockets.

That to me says a lot about the members who started, run, and support GMTN. You are true enthusiasts who care about the members and community as a whole. I have seen a lot of posts where people say that you (Roadie) are harsh and come on too strong when talking about the OS or VS, but this just proves that you are not all talk and literally put your money where your mouth is.

What you guys (Admins, moderators, staff, etc) do for this site is much appreciated. I am sure most of what you guys do goes unnoticed and you perform a thankless job behind the scenes to keep this site running. I am sure I speak for all members when I say THANK YOU for going above and beyond for this site and also creating such an awesome forum/community!

Sib, Redbeard, C-ya and 12 others like this.
  31. The_Roadie

The_Roadie Administrator

Admin Post
    Ghoster is much too modest. :woot: And the evil and greedy business model of Vertical Scope richly deserves all the harshness and hate they get for being the destroyer of so many fine forum communities. :hissyfit:

RayGumm, dmanns67, Mooseman and 2 others like this.
  32. Pittdawg

Pittdawg Well-Known Member

I just made a small donation. If I hadn't fallen on hard times it would have been bigger for all I get out of this great community!

x0duke0x, RayGumm, dmanns67 and 2 others like this.
  33. reedtchsrv

reedtchsrv Silver Supporter

Is there any way to buy way over priced gmtnation swag as a donation? I would completely be into shirts and stickers for far too much money.

x0duke0x, Robbabob, RayGumm and 2 others like this.
  34. The_Roadie

The_Roadie Administrator

Admin Post
    Stickers are indeed high on our agenda to deal with after a couple of issues are worked out. Haven't had a regular vendor base coordinated mostly due to staff working on site issues, and then we had the massive disruption of the software upgrade. Just asking for a little patience, but be assured we ARE on the case very very soon. Will advise.

It's not our nature to be ripoffs like Trailvoy though - who even today promise stickers for a Premium Membership and they closed down the store WAY before we all left in 2011.

High Voltage likes this.
  35. Snailblazin'

Snailblazin' Well-Known Member

I'm in! Seriously, I'm waaaayy overdue with my support. Henceforth consider me ponied!

Robbabob, dmanns67 and The_Roadie like this.
  36. Boricua SS

Boricua SS Well-Known Member

been a contributing member since the day i signed up :thumbsup: and i renewed my subscription last month :yes:

37. Midnyteryder196

Midnyteryder196 Well-Known Member

Just pitched in for all the help you guys have gave me through out the last almost year i have owned the tb now :thumbsup:

38. CaptainKD

CaptainKD Well-Known Member

:bump:
    :thumbsup: Donation made. :thumbsup:
    Thanks for the hard work Jman, Roadie and all the Super Moderators. :grouphug:
    :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:

39. JRTAHOE

JRTAHOE Well-Known Member

I'm back! Sold the Trailblazer and got a Tahoe instead. Good time to come back and help. Subscription renewed. :woot:

40. ChrisinVictoria

ChrisinVictoria Well-Known Member

Sure,
    Add another one.

The_Roadie and dmanns67 like this.