Tie rod ends and alignment

Chickenhawk

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I am interested in what others have done for wheel alignment after replacing tie rod ends.

I did a lot of research and found most of what I read on the internet to be wrong. In many years of driving, I have found a couple of facts that I can trust:
#1 - The human eyeball can be as precise as a computerized wheel alignment machine if you take the time to get it perfect. The machine just makes it faster, not more accurate.
#2 - A computerized wheel alignment machine is only as good as the operator.

When we ran endurance racing back in the 80s, we used what were called toe plates to make toe adjustments in the pits. We would run a bit of toe-in on long tracks for stability at speed, and a slight amount of toe-out for short tracks for better bite at the beginning of the turn. They were just simple aluminum plates placed against the wheel, with slots front and rear for placing a tape measure through. They had a flare at the bottom for use on the ground for the tire bulge, but that was not necessary when the front end was jacked up.

I use a similar system to adjust toe in my driveway. I had to replace four outer tie rod ends on two Trailblazers the same weekend, so I was looking for ways to get alignment perfect without needing a $120 wheel alignment just to re-set the toe adjustment. All I needed was two lengths of 3/4" square aluminum tubing about 36" long, a couple of tape measures and two bungee cords.

If you have ever used the expression "close enough for government work" or even just "close enough," then I would recommend a professional wheel alignment. But if you can read a tape measure with preciseness - we are talking a 1/16 of an inch here - and are willing to crawl under your truck 40 or 50 times to get the alignment perfect, you do NOT need a professional alignment. You can even eyeball your toe to better than it is now. The only thing you are changing is toe alignment anyway when you replace inner or outer tie rod ends.

Ignore much of what you read on the internet. When replacing outer tie rod ends, don't worry about trying to measure the old ones and then the new ones. The dimensions and designs of the ends may differ, and a tape is not precise enough. Just count the number of turns when you remove the old ones and replace the new ones the same number of turns. This will get you in the ball park.

When you are finished installing the tie rod ends and tightened everything down except the jam nuts, reinstall the wheels but leave the front end jacked up off the ground. Center the steering wheel and then bungee two lengths of 3/4" square tubing (or any length of stiff and straight stake) across the wheel near the bottom of the tire. (See photo.) Both should be as high as possible while still allowing a tape measure to get from wheel to wheel, front and rear, and both should be the same distance up the wheel. Mine were about 7" from the bottom of the tire.

The tubing or stakes will rest on the tire, not the wheel, but don't worry about it. Ignore everyone on the internet who says you can't do it this way because of the tire bulge. If your tire bulge is inconsistent around the rim, you have FAR greater problems than wheel alignment!

Now, crawl underneath and adjust the inner tie rod end until both wheels are dead straight and both sides run EXACTLY parallel to the fender line. Recheck the steering wheel after every adjustment, and take the time to get it perfect. It will take 20 to 30 tries, and the last few will be about 1/8 of a turn at a time. You will need a few extra when you turn it the wrong way, but don't worry; we all do that. Just remember "righty-tighty; lefty-loosey" and the inner tie rod is turned clockwise (when looking inward) to move the rear of the wheel OUTWARD, and counterclockwise to bring the rear of the wheel INWARD. Keep eyeballing the tubing with the fender line while standing directly above it, and take the time to get it perfect.

Once you have both wheels exactly straight and both exactly the same, you are ready for the toe adjustment. The fender line is not exactly parallel but is close enough to get you in the ball park. The thing to remember is that both wheels should be exactly the same and the steering wheel should be dead straight. Now comes the fun part. Run two tape measures from side to side, and see what they read. (If you are working by yourself, just tape the ends of the tape measures to one of your square tubes.)
toe plate.jpeg
If you did it perfect, your measurements should read about 77" behind the tire, and 76" or so in front of the tire. This is called "toe-in" and the Trailblazer likes about 1/8" to 1/4" final toe-in. (Your actual measurements will vary from mine because of my aftermarket wheels.)

Now crawl back underneath and move both sides a slight amount at a time until the rear of the tire measures about 3/16" greater than the front of the tire. Work slow and careful, double check that the steering wheel stays dead straight and make sure both tires stay identical. Keep eyeballing the tubing against the fender line by looking down from above. When everything is perfect, tighten the jam nuts, lower off the jack and torque down the wheel nuts. (Don't forget t re-torque the wheel nuts in a week.)

If you are really anal like me, before you replace anything, jack the front end off the ground, straighten the steering wheel, attach the square tubing and measure your existing toe. Eyeball your tubing against the fender line, and see how far out your factory (or existing) alignment really is. Then you will see what I mean when I say you can use two lengths of square tubing, a couple of bungee cords, two tape measures and the ole mark I eyeball to be just as accurate as a computerized alignment machine when all you need to re-adjust is toe.

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
That is clever and so simple. Nobody has an excuse for not having the toe close enough now!

I use a toe-in gauge like the image below. It is spring loaded and takes into account a possible bent wheel or tire bulges. You suspend it between the inside sidewalls at the front of the wheels and set it to zero, then roll the vehicle until the gauge is now at the back of the wheel and read the scale. Very accurate but a bit of a pain to read on low vehicles.
12200.gif

The bungee & stick method is accurate for 95% of the jobs out there.

Thanks for sharing.

Chickenhawk

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Yes, I can see how that toe gauge works. It seems like a very precise way of measuring toe. That's what i like about these forums - sharing knowledge and saving money or time or both.

I like my method for simplicity and preciseness, plus the tubes give you a line to use to line up with the fender lines. This helps gets the wheels dead straight and gets the steering wheel straight ahead. The human eye actually has the ability to discern as little as 1 degree of angle between two lines.

If I remember right, toe specs are actually .2" toe-in, plus or minus .2". In the real world, once both tires are dead straight and the steering wheel is straight, anywhere from 1/8" to 3/8" toe-in is probably fine.

But at exactly 3/16" (as double checked multiple times with multiple tape measures and a few different sticks) I doubt any computerized machine could get any closer to perfect than what I saw with my eye and measured with two tape measures.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Because the project I was working on at the time involved a total front end replacement which would include the need for something easier to work out Caster and Camber problems... I thought having these Heavy Cast Iron Suspension Adjustment Plates (Ball Bearing Tables support up to 12,000 Lbs) would make for a frictionless work set-up. These came from JEGS, I think and are not absolutely necessary for just adjusting Toe In-Out...the Chrome Rod mentioned above looks like a better option for that purpose:

http://s557.photobucket.com/user/60...ENSIONANDBRAKES/DSC05201.jpg.html?sort=3&o=87

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
I had good results on my TB by adding one tie rod at a time. I did my adjustments and road tested till things felt right and then moved on to the other side and repeated. I still had the front end alignment done and one wheel was dead on and the other still in tolerance, but close to the line. Tires are expensive, alignments are worth the money if done right.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I will go out on a limb and say you just won't get it right without the real alignment machine....too many factors involved. It may feel right, you may get your steering wheel centered, but you still won't know with a centered wheel...if the tires are tracking correctly.....we're talking tenths of a degree.

An alignment is cheaper than one tire, a bad alignment will wear two tires prematurely.

If you have more than 150K miles, I would recommend replacing your lower control arm brackets and your upper control arms with your tires rod ends to capitalize on one alignement.

WarGawd

Sep 2, 2012
FWIW I can throw in my $.02 from personal experience...after paying an alignment shop $100 for an alignment where they CLAIMED they couldn't adjust the camber right, and wearing out a set of tires in under 20k km, I did my own alignment in my driveway with nothing more than a couple pieces of tape and a long string and my eyeballs. I've put over 40 k km on since then on a used set of tires, wheel is dead center, tracking is perfect even under heavy braking. I do have a bit of inner edge wear on front left, so I didn't nail it perfectly, but I also know both my inner tie rod ends are worn out and need replacement...when I get that done I'm not so sure I won't just do the same thing a little more meticulously and save myself $100 at a "professional" shop

Reactions: Mektek

Big B Jantzen

Aug 9, 2016
Enid, OK
Great info!!! I just had to do Camber cause the sorry shop lied and said not possible. I got that worked out, heck reading this I may be doing the toe... but I got lifetime so I can have them check it.

Chickenhawk

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I think it would be fun to do a driveway toe adjustment and then get an alignment done (if you have a lifetime alignment anyway) just to see how accurate the human eyeball can be.

Reactions: Big B Jantzen

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Not sure what size the hole is, but there's a centering hole under the steering column to hold the wheel steady and straight.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
I'm not convinced one even has to jump though that many hoops to be very close. I've always used the grease pen method. Mark the parts before removing them. Put everything back the same way. I've never been so far off that it caused tire excessive wear. A little feathering perhaps, but still get the alignment and just rotate the tires. No need to be in a rush though.

I just did this with 4 new control arms on my Sierra. Put the tires on, then changed the arms over a period of a few weeks, got some feathering in the meantime. Marked the adjustable parts on the upper control arm, put the news on exactly the same way. That was in May and June. I just got the alignment last Friday.

As far as alignment costs though, you guys got it rough. $120? That's robbery here. I paid $80. Some shops are $70.

Big B Jantzen

Aug 9, 2016
Enid, OK
Yeah I'm starting to see it's not rocket science... LOL :book:

07TrailyLS

May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
Awesome write up. Now we just need one for camber issues for the lowered guys. Last weekend I went under mine, loosened the lca adjustment bolts and slid the wheels in a bit to account for mine. Seems to drive better but my steering wheel is considerably off center and for me to be able to adjust the toe using this method, I'm guessing I have to have my camber issues figured out beforehand

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online