Throttle Body Cleaner ?!?

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Hey everyone,

Well I'm planning to get my Throttle Body cleaned up, just cause I think it's time to do it.

So I went out to the local hardware/automotive store to get me a can of throttle body cleaner. Surprise! Couldn't find it. So I thought this being Saudi, I'd go to the commercial area, where all the car accesories, spare parts shops are and to my surprise no throttle body cleaner. However a shop selling AcDelco parts etc.. told me that a Carburetor cleaner would work.

True or should I look for throttle body cleaner only to use on the TB?

Thanks

RTTBLT1

Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
Hello $Khalid 9130

From my understanding you can not use regular Carburetor Cleaner on a Throttle Body. It will remove the special coating on the TB and I imagine do more harm to the unit. You would need to use actual TB Cleaner to avoid damage to the unit/part.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
You can use NON-CHLORINATED Brake Cleaner. The reason they say you're not supposed use Brake Cleaner to clean a throttle body at all is because it's highly combustible. It will also damage any plastic & rubber components it touches. If there is left over wet residue still on the throttle body when you go and start the vehicle, it'll create an even larger combustion than the engine would normally do. This can result in damage to the engine and/or will idle rough in some instances depending on how much got down the manifold (if you cleaned it without removing it off the intake manifold). If there was just a tiny bit, you'd notice that the vehicle would idle up high by itself for a brief moment. I personally have used Non-Chlorinated Brake Cleaner when I had no Throttle Body Cleaner on hand. I never had an issue in doing-so. I just make sure everything is really dry before installing the throttle body back.

Last edited:

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Lots of conflicting answers here though. I'm only planning to clean the throttle body at the moment though

Speaking for myself... I've had my Rainier for about 4 1/2 years... I've cleaned the TB about 6 times with good old carb cleaner each time... no issues

I don't have a MAF to clean but I know you have to use MAF safe cleaner for those...

:twocents:

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA

Went through it before I posted the thread cause there were the same with some saying it's not an issue and others saying it is

Speaking for myself... I've had my Rainier for about 4 1/2 years... I've cleaned the TB about 6 times with good old carb cleaner each time... no issues

I don't have a MAF to clean but I know you have to use MAF safe cleaner for those...

:twocents:

Yeah I guess I'll just check a store I found in the internet that has TB cleaners and if it's worth the drive and cash I'll get it or else I'll just get the carb cleaner and JUST DO IT. It's not like I'll blow up the engine

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Only reason it's said not to use Carb Cleaner is that it eats away at a special coating on the butterfly valve that some Throttle Bodies have; and that if a lot of Carb cleaner gets down past the manifold it basically floods the engine the vehicle will idle like garbage and stall a lot. Carb Cleaner, like Brake Cleaner would not be an issue IMO if you take off the Throttle Body to clean it. Issues only arise with both when people don't remove the Throttle Body prior to cleaning it. If it's removed and let to dry completely before reinstallation there's no issues.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think carb cleaner and TB cleaner are the same. Just marketing. What did we use before TB cleaner was available?

Now MAF cleaner, although it actually smells the same as the other cleaners, would be the only cleaner I would trust on the MAF because it is such a sensitive sensor.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Yeah I plan on removing the throttle body to clean it as that seems to be the best way to do it.

@Mooseman Please don't mind the noob question but from what I checked online the MAF is different/separate from the throttle body right?

Yes it's separate... it'll be in your intake hose back towards your air filter...
usually they're a square or round aluminum piece with a plug and wiring to it..
They are quite sensitive... the little wires on the inside are very delicate

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Yes it's separate... it'll be in your intake hose back towards your air filter...
usually they're a square or round aluminum piece with a plug and wiring to it..
They are quite sensitive... the little wires on the inside are very delicate

Thanks, so since I am going to be doing the throttle body only, I will be picking up a carb cleaner today or tmrw hopefully and getting down to it. Expect a new article submission :2thumbsup:

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
If the carb cleaner says it's "sensor safe" you can use it on the throttle body. Some older formulations would melt plastic parts and seals.

Have fun!

Chris

Its the official AcDelco Carb Cleaner, didn't really see if it was sensor safe though!

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You can never have too many articles!

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
The stuff I usually use is CRC Clean-R-Carb...says it's safe for throttle bodies and O2 sensors. I've never actually compared it to the AC Delco formulas, but I think the AC Delco flavor says it's also for throttle bodies...at least the can I looked at.

Cheers-

Chris

CajunWon

Nov 25, 2012
Cary, NC
Just today. TB came off easy and the gasket was undamaged. Used CRC Engine Degreaser, foams a lot with just a little. Used a toothbrush and took some effort to remove ring where valve meets the body. Then a quick rinse with what little carb cleaner I had.
The degreaser said would not harm rubber n plastics and seemed weak considering the scrubbing required.
Zero issues after reassembling.

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online