Thoughts on another Trailblazer

What says GMTN?

• Pass on it. Save the money for the Camaro/House/newer TB later/etc

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy it, combine the trucks to make one good one, sell the remaining truck for cheap

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Buy it, combine the trucks to make one good one, part out the rest for possibly more money

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Something else (mention in the thread please)

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
First off, my 02 Trailblazer 4x4 is running fine. It's getting up there in miles (168k) and does have its share of issues (pitted slip yoke causing slow transfer case seal leak, rust galore, non-functional rear defrost, rotting power steering lines and noisy pump that will need replaced soon, screwed up wiring to one of the power sockets, messed up parking brake). Some is easier to fix and I just have to get to it, other things are too costly to be worth messing with.

I have the opportunity to buy another 02 Trailblazer 4x4 for $2k. It has 136k miles on it. Far, far less rust on it than mine, just some minor typical stuff on the lower door edges and the hood edge has some rust also. It has a few needs also but AFAIK not as many as mine, plus most are different needs than mine has. It doesn't have some of the options mine does (no heated mirrors or sunroof). I could in theory move some of that stuff over easily from mine however to fix issues/upgrade/etc. Sunroof would be hard though lol. I do know someone who could do it :undecided:

My initial thought was just pass on it to save for Camaro repairs/upgrades this year (and maybe a house), or for a newer/lower miles Trailblazer in a couple years when mine wears out, but now I'm wondering if I should pick it up, combine the two trucks into one really good one, and either part out the rest to try to make back as much of the $2k as I can or sell the remaining not-quite-as-nice-but-functional truck to Carmax for like 500 bucks or $1k or something (obviously the sunroof would stay in my current one if I went this route!). I don't really have a garage to take apart a vehicle but I could do it West Virginia style and do it in my little backyard. Would amuse the neighbors at least :rotfl:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Buy it, combine the trucks to make one good one, part out the rest for possibly more money

This, because $2k is a good price and I've seen pics of the rust.:frown:

Between the modules, trim panels, wiring, etc, there's a lot of money to be made before hauling the carcass to the salvage yard.:yes:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I say pass on it and drive the one you have now into the ground. The one thing you didn't mention is the time required to do this combining and parting out. Every time you mentioned a problem with your truck, you also mentioned that you were tight for time. To quote you:
Some is easier to fix and I just have to get to it,

And you don't know what could happen with the "new" truck or its history. It's "The devil you know vs. the devil you don't know" syndrome. I can relate to your dilemma as I am saving up to build a garage and debated buying a new snowmobile for my son or keep fixing the old one. Even he agrees that we NEED the garage.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
That's probably the biggest concern is time. Not sure when I'd get around to doing all that stuff. Things like the mirrors would be fast and easy but other stuff like the upgraded axle I would want to swap over, then the teardown... :no:

Hm, maybe he'll let me swap a couple small parts before he goes to Carmax with it, such as the grille since mine has a crack in it :tongue:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Buy it, make it good with parts from yours then sell your truck and get your money back. I would say part it, but that would eat to much time.

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Sparky said:
I can or sell the remaining not-quite-as-nice-but-functional truck to Carmax for like 500 bucks or $1k or something
Don't count on it. We took our 2000 Bravada (S-10 size) to Carmax. It's in nice shape and has only 102K on it. The KBB trade-in value is $3700. They offered $700. :hissyfit:

A month later, a real dealership offered $3000 trade on a vehicle on their lot. (which already had a good price on it)

In my opinion, Carmax are even bigger crooks than most dealers. :twocents:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
$2000 is a good deal though. Paid that much for mine with a dead engine. The price on these trucks is nuts. Only way I could afford one at the time. I was at a point where I was regretting getting it as more and more things were breaking but now I would drive it cross country. Just the damned end links :mad:. If you can keep both while you're swapping stuff and then part out the rest of the old truck,I'm sure you could come close to recoup the whole amount. The engine alone could fetch a pretty penny, especially if you can prove its maintenance. Again, the main factor is time...

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
I say drive yours into the ground and save up your money for something turnkey. For me my time is valuable and I have zero to devote to combining two truck into one. I'd gladly pay more money for something I can just drive at a later date. Also if I didn't need an suv for towing heavy stuff and the other trucky aspects and if I was a little short on money, i'd get something with far better mpg's.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Well both trucks (mine and his) are turnkey. It isn't like one is dead. The most I'd be swapping from one truck to the other would be axle (I have the 8.6, same ratio), mirrors (heated vs non), console lid (his latch is broken), and a couple other small things. Oh and probably the spare tire winch. Maybe the 4x4 disconnect since I rebuilt mine and his has never been. That, and his shocks are original more than likely so those would need done (hey, lift!).

The more I think about it the more I'm thinking I'll pass. If mine was about worn out or if I had more money to play with then I'd consider it more since $2k is dirt cheap. But since mine doesn't appear to be worn out and I have other (expensive) stuff planned this year, well...

Just watch, I'll pass on it and then mine will do something stupid again and I'll wish I hadn't :crazy:

Moot point anyway, he sold it this afternoon.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online