Thinking of DIY'ing an Efan kit, am I missing anything?

JimHTP

Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Derale Performance Deluxe Adjustable Controllers with Pipe Threaded Probes 16749 - SummitRacing.com

Dual fan temperature control...

I6 Trailblazer DIY LS1 Dual Fan Conversion kit

PCM for less dual LS1 e-fan kit

And of course 98-06 cam/fbird e fans + custom tune ( installing cai and cat back too)

various wires, solder, heat shrink and crimp containers...

Should come to

$43 controller
$139 wiring harness
$75-100 efans

Considering this is a savings of $100 over the PCM4less plug and play and should cool even better it seems like a great idea. But i'm no EE and I'm not sure I've got everything I need. Can some more experienced electric fan DIyers help me out?

Aloicious

Dec 28, 2012
I know this thread is a little old, but what are your vehicle specs?

depending on the PCM you're using, you may be able to run the fans directly with the PCM control (via a custom tune), which IMO is preferable to a separate thermostat.

I've got a custom built setup running a 2 speed MarkVIII fan on my '96, and I've got it all running and controlled through my 411 PCM and it works great. makes wiring and everything else much simpler.

JimHTP

Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
its an 04 Trailblazer with the inline 6. I actually re-posted this in the correct section after I realized it was in this one, my bad! Thanks for the suggestion though!

Aloicious

Dec 28, 2012
ah, okay, did you get it built yet? if you want/need I can cruize around in EFILive and see what your stock PCM has functionality for as far as the fans go, as long as I can find a tune file to look at.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Aloicious said:
ah, okay, did you get it built yet? if you want/need I can cruize around in EFILive and see what your stock PCM has functionality for as far as the fans go, as long as I can find a tune file to look at.

P10s cant control efans, believe me Ive tried. What you have to do is either: build a box that accepts the stock PWM signal and converts that to drive the new efans (ala PCM4Less Gen 1 I6 kit), use a temp probe in the tstat housing or radiator (ala P4L Gen II I6 kit), or run an external fan controller box like the one Flex-a-Lite makes. Then use EFILive/HPTuners/TunerCats to kill the fan clutch, Ive done it on my 02 (as a test, no DTCs) and my buddy's 04.

Aloicious

Dec 28, 2012
That sucks. I'm mostly familiar with the ls1 pcms and earlier obd2 ones. It sounds like you guys kinda got the shaft on fan control

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online