Thermostat and ECT Replaced

jafo2424

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
You really do Need to take the Alternator off to get at everything easy. I removed the battery to give myself more room. Then removed to the Bracket in front of the alternator then the alternator. The bottom bolt is really a PITA!!!

Heres the New ECT installed right above the thermostat that has been removed.
View attachment 16816

Heres the thermostat installed
View attachment 16818

As you can see the Mounting holes for the alternator and Bracket directly above the thermosat and ECT make it next to impossible to get to these without removing the alternator.
View attachment 16817

Gauge "almost" straight up and down. It was never running higher than two lines to the left of Center and my MPG were really decreasing
View attachment 16819

Attachments

• ECT.jpg
    ECT.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Therm and ect.jpg
    Therm and ect.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 9
  • thermo.jpg
    thermo.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 11
  • gauge.jpg
    gauge.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 9

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Now would be a good time to get a live reading of the temp.

That way you'll know if the gauge is right.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Tofer76 said:
why would you T stat make your mpg go down

If the temp is cooler than it should be, the PCM changes the parameters, causing the engine to run rich, wasting gas.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
15mm stubby flex head ratcheting wrench makes the lower alternator bolt MUCH easier. Though you need a regular length wrench to get the torque on it to loosen and tighten and then ends up sticking through the fan.

I didn't pull the battery when I did mine but probably should have to make things a bit easier.

You can get to the lower thermostat bolt through the wheel well. Straight shot at about the 10 o'clock position on the wheel. You don't have to pull the wheel but will need a lot of extensions.

05_ext

Dec 15, 2011
Just finished mine. Took me 4 hours but I could have done it in one if I had the right tools.
I removed alt, bat and drivers wheel cuz it made it easier to access lower therm. bolt.
And yes its surging now. Will clean throttle body tomorrow.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online