The case of the mysterious misfire...

khill

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Well, not to bring the dead back to life or anything, but I've found my solution, again. The problem came back around the beginning of May and I just decided to take the shotgun approach.

In a fit of frustration, I replaced all 6 coils about 40 or so days ago then spent 30 days at the scenic Joint Base Lewis McChord :no:, after getting back and driving around I believe my problem is finally fixed for good. It runs like it used to when I first got it, where I can forget the truck is running at all (even with the mechanical cooling fan). I'll update this if the problem comes back, but I think it's really fixed this time, I just have that feeling that my truck is telling me she's happy again. :rotfl::wootwoot::biggrin:

I'll admit that replacing all 6 coils probably wasn't necessary but the result is worth the cost in my opinion.

On another note (hijacking my own thread a bit), when I pulled the old coils I found it impossible to remove all of the supersparkz without damaging them. They bend really really easily and like to get stuck in the rubber boot. After that experience, I can't say that I recommend them anymore, if one should get slightly bent it could cause a connectivity problem and everything that leads to. All in my opinion, of course, but my truck is running smooth as silk on the stock springs included with the new batch of coils.

If anybody wants a set of 6 used coils in whatever condition they're in, I'll send them to you for the cost of shipping, otherwise they get trashed in a week (4AUG12). The truck would run fine with a slight wobble and occasional misfire as described above, so I know at least one coil was causing problems, it's up to you to sort it out if you want to.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
khill said:
Well, not to bring the dead back to life or anything, but I've found my solution, again. The problem came back around the beginning of May and I just decided to take the shotgun approach.

In a fit of frustration, I replaced all 6 coils about 40 or so days ago then spent 30 days at the scenic Joint Base Lewis McChord :no:, after getting back and driving around I believe my problem is finally fixed for good. It runs like it used to when I first got it, where I can forget the truck is running at all (even with the mechanical cooling fan). I'll update this if the problem comes back, but I think it's really fixed this time, I just have that feeling that my truck is telling me she's happy again. :rotfl::wootwoot::biggrin:

I'll admit that replacing all 6 coils probably wasn't necessary but the result is worth the cost in my opinion.

On another note (hijacking my own thread a bit), when I pulled the old coils I found it impossible to remove all of the supersparkz without damaging them. They bend really really easily and like to get stuck in the rubber boot. After that experience, I can't say that I recommend them anymore, if one should get slightly bent it could cause a connectivity problem and everything that leads to. All in my opinion, of course, but my truck is running smooth as silk on the stock springs included with the new batch of coils.

If anybody wants a set of 6 used coils in whatever condition they're in, I'll send them to you for the cost of shipping, otherwise they get trashed in a week (4AUG12). The truck would run fine with a slight wobble and occasional misfire as described above, so I know at least one coil was causing problems, it's up to you to sort it out if you want to.

I will buy a couple off ya. Could use a just-in-case spare. PM me with your email address so we can use Paypal.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
khill said:
...supersparkz...
:rotfl: What crap they are, and now you know. Another convert.....:rotfl:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:

Yeah I could just go down to the hardware store and pick me up some copper tubing and make my own.:biggrin:

When I replaced my spark plugs I just took the springs out of each boot and tugged on them a little to restore factory tension/spring rate. I put them back in to the boot and applied some dielectric grease on both ends and viola!

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
MichEnvoyGuy said:
I would say do a compression test next.

There have been reports of owners with 2004+ T360's with I6's, of them dropping a valve or having a valve not seat properly causing an intermittent or solid misfire.

Hoping thats not your case, but a compression test could rule it out.

A vacuum gauge reading can rule out leaking valves. No need to do a compression test.

You can also perform a clear flood mode crank test and see if the engine turns over smoothly.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
the roadie said:

I forgot all about writing up on those and giving my opinion on them... Gonna have to do that when I can get time between screaming kids and renovating the new house... They are garbage... And produced that way also, evidence shows they are dime a dozen and made as such.

OctaneRider03

Jul 31, 2012
So, while I was deployed to Afghanistan again, I had my friend hold on to my TB in his garage. Every three or so weeks he'd crank it up, let her run the. Shut her down. He sent me word while I was over there stating that the misfire code had come up and tripped the check engine under "multiple cylinder misfire". I said alright, check my plugs out, check the alternator and coil packs. I then purchased six NGK iridium plugs, six brand new coil packs, an A/C Delco alternator, and even a thermostat! Once everything was installed, I bought new sensors for my solenoids and installed them. He sent me word that it was STILL misfiring after all that. He told me he would introduce a bottle of Seafoam to it, and sure enough it did the trick. But only for so long....

After realizing that the Seafoam actually helped out a little, I threw in the white towel and had him send my truck over to the dealership. From there they did a compression test and even stuck a scope down there to check it out. They emailed me a few pictures and told me exactly what the problem was. The upper-cylinder head was FILLED with carbon! It was so bad that it caused my cylinder valves to stick while at lower and higher RPM's! My next move was to get this addressed ASAP. I came home from Afghan and went straight to the garage to meet my friend. From there we took off the entire upper cylinder head and then took the cams off. I sent all that into a machine shop close to where I lived and they sandblasted it while having it cleaned religiously. Meanwhile my friend and I were at work cleaning out what we could from the combustion chamber. As soon as we got the cylinder head back we quickly put everything back together and reinstalled it with the help of a new head gasket and upper cylinder rebuild kit I purchased from the dealership. Once everything was on and my fluids had been replaced, we fired her up. She roared gentlemen....

All my cylinders fired 90% 90% 65% 90% 65% 90%.. When we were done each cylinder fired at 140%. No more shaking while in idle, no more misfires, better response to me givin it gas. Hope this helps! -Lee

khill said:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online