NEED HELP Temperature hoses???

JK171

Original poster
Feb 16, 2016
Munhall PA
hey guys, so today on my way home from work I looked at my dash and noticed that my temp was quite higher then normal, just as that happened white smoke came from underneath my hood so I pulled over (directly behind an Autozone) and popped the hood to find a blown top rad line. So after realizing I could fix it I walked up bought a new line, clamps, and screwdriver lol I got my 02 TB up and running again. Once I got to the shop (where I was originally heading to get my exhaust replaced) I was telling the guy about my shenanigans on the highway he told me to replace the bottom rad hose along with the temperature lines?? He said the temp lines is an easy fix but I have no idea what they are, my internet searches are coming up pretty broad. Anyone have an idea what he means? Have you ever done this? How easy is it?? Thanks in advance fellas!

Also, while I'm replacing all this is it safe to say that I should flush everything out and add new coolant while I'm at it??

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I don't know what he meant my temperature lines. Maybe the temp sensor? We usually recommend changing that if/when you are installing a new thermostat, since it's right in the same spot. But if the needle was reading high already (how much higher was it?), then I think it was doing it's job.

We like to recommend you get an ODBII bluetooth adapter and one of the real time data apps for your smart phone (if you're running Android) Gives you more accurate readings, as well as a ton of other useful troubleshooting information at your finger tips, should you ever want/need it.

JK171

Original poster
Feb 16, 2016
Munhall PA
I have no idea what he was talking about he said that they're lines with a smaller diameter then the larger coolant line that I blew. He also said something about it running near the firewall?? I thought if I just replaced the lower main rad hose and flushed the system I'd be ok?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yeah, those are the heater hoses that @AWD V8 mentioned. Totally different set of hoses involved. They are on the passenger side of the engine bay, on the firewall.

Edit: That's what allows you to get heat from the HVAC system when you set it that way.

JK171

Original poster
Feb 16, 2016
Munhall PA
do any of yins have experience in changing the lower rad hose? From what I've been reading it sounds rather difficult.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Something being difficult is a relative thing. You were able to change the upper hose, spur of the moment. So you've got the skills and enough know how, would you call that a difficult thing? Some would, others wouldn't.

Since you know what you've got in mind to do next, poke your head in, see where the hose connects and judge for yourself... Maybe you want to approach from above, from the wheel well, or from below... The choice is yours. :yes:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
If you're feeling froggy you could jump and knock out the thermostat while you have the lower hose off and you're in the area. But that thinking could be subjective to how long the replacement would last. Some forever, others a year. From what I hear you don't wanna do the job once, much less twice.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If it did overheat, I would recommend replacing the t-stat and the temp sensor, especially if they're original.

Reactions: Wooluf1952

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online