Temp Higher than Usual?

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
It was about 95 degrees out, in very slow moving stop and go traffic, with A/C on... The temp gauge was moving between 3-4 ticks above the middle (210) while it usually is exactly in the middle. Is this OK?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I'm assuming by 3-4 ticks you're talking around the next hash mark past the 210 mark. Mine would do that with it really hot outside, AC running, in slow traffic. I think it is because the mechanical fan air flow is limited by the engine speed, so with it really hot outside and at low RPM there just not enough airflow to compensate to keep it at 210 so it will warm up a little bit. If I was stopped and I put it in neutral and revved the engine just a bit (didn't take much) the AC would actually cool off a bit more and the coolant temp would start to drop down.

As long as you're not pushing towards the red zone you're fine. I start getting concerned if it is pushing the 3 o'clock point as that is getting too close to the red for my comfort.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
How's A/C performance? You could check the fan clutch to see if it's failing:
How to test the electro-viscous fan clutch

Poor cooling performance at idle is often attributable to the fan clutch. Also check that the condenser is free of dirt and bugs.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online