Tech2 prices?!?!?

Harpo

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
I looked at prices for a Tech2 instrument just for fun, if it would be possible to own one without going bankrupt.

And i was amazed that the prizes in US is so high.

I found a tech2 on ntxtools.com for $4105 used on SALE!!.
They cost as much here in Sweden but in sek 4200 that is about $ 641with Candi-box and GM memory-card, brand new. That is quite a difference.
There is one thing wrong with it tough, it cant communicate with TIS, whatever that is?.

A brand new fully functional one is $1038 with Candi-box and GM memory-card.

I didn't searched all that much on US sites so it might be found cheaper somewhere else IDK.

I am just amazed that i found something that actually is cheaper here than in US, that is normally really NOT the case.

I just needed to share this amazing moment:lipsrsealed:

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
GM dealers use TIS2Web to download and install updates to the various modules in the truck. It is also how we setup new modules and do radio unlocks. So basically it is the ability to program your truck. However if you dont have a user name with gm even if the scan tool can do it you cant anyway.

Harpo

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
A user name with GM must be as hard to get in US as in Sweden i guess.

So basically you can only use it to read different things and find errors, but not use it to program or make any adjustments.
Is that it??:hissyfit:

So if you are changing a module in your truck thats need programing to work, you are still in the hands of the darned dealers that charge $200 an hour.

I am going to a small shop tomorrow to try to find whats wrong with my Airbag light, i dont think he got a GM Tech2 user account, but i dont know. Hope he does.

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
I found it very easy to get mine. I got hired at a dealership.:rotfl:

I can't adjust anything hardly. I cannot change shift timings or tire sizes or gear ratios. Even to add factory remote start I have to call GM Techline and have them make the changes in the database, then I can reprogram the module.

On a side note I can't even update my tech2 because it is broken at the moment. I can't program with it either. Thank god for the MDI which is way faster anyway.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Harpo said:
A brand new fully functional one is $1038 with Candi-box and GM memory-card.

Usually the too-good-to-be-true prices are for Chinese clones. While they technically do work, finding a place to repair a clone will be next to impossible. When I looked into mine, I found a good write up on identifying clones. I'm pretty sure it was posted on a vette forum.

mrphoenix80 said:
However if you dont have a user name with gm even if the scan tool can do it you cant anyway.

Yah, he'll need a TIS account. They do offer different options like the 2 day account (which is what my work uses since they don't do a lot of flashes).

ACDelco TechConnect - TSS - Technical Support - si and TIS 2

Harpo said:
So basically you can only use it to read different things and find errors, but not use it to program or make any adjustments.
Is that it??:hissyfit:

Yeah pretty much. For most data reading and output tests, other scan tools like the modis/verus/etc can do the same thing. IMO the only advantage the tech2 has is when doing live plots, much less prone to errors.

I am going to a small shop tomorrow to try to find whats wrong with my Airbag light, i dont think he got a GM Tech2 user account, but i dont know. Hope he does.

They should still be able to pull Airbag codes even without a TIS account.:yes:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
I bought a DrewTech Mongoose Pro GM to handle calibration updates from Tis2Web, I thought about getting a Tech II but didnt want a knockoff and a real one is too expensive for just flashing PCM/ECM/TCMs. :thumbsup:

Harpo

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
It´s probably a knockoff.

I noticed today when i went to read my TB that a original Tech2 dont have a GM symbol in the top left corner, its was something else there, didnt really see what it was.

All of them i saw had a GM logo in the top left corner. The one at ntxtools.com looks genuine, like the one he was using.

Sorry to say the Tech2 could'nt establish a connection to my SDM, so im back at square one again.:sadcry:

He was not able to put more time into it today but he had something up his sleeve.

I did a little reading in the service manual when i got home and found that my U1088 is a code for missing communication between SDM and instument cluster.
The next step is to "Go to DTC U1001-U1254 in data link communications".
Last time i got the codes read i got a a U1000 when we checked the instrument cluster for codes, but only with the engine running.

U1000 = Class2 data link malfunction.

And from what i can understand this can depend on low/high voltage.

I can only hope for an easy and hopefully not to expensive fix for this.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And works in pass through mode as well.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online