NEED HELP TB dies while driving, code nightmare.

Trailguy2016

Original poster
Jun 6, 2016
denver
Hello everyone, I was on Youtube looking for help and a person said to come to this site for more knowlegeable people. So here is my problem. Thanks in advance to those who reply.

2006 Chevy Trailblazer EXT 6 liter

Car has approx. 185k miles

Car ran fine with oil changes and recent tune up ie air filter/plugs replaced. Trailblazer would be running on highway at 65 mph ,or any speed, and then suddenly die. Would pull over and car would start immediately with no problem.

This would happen once every 2-3 weeks. Very random. So I took it into mechanic who ran diagnoissis /scan tool.

Following items were replaced ,all parts were new . Replaced based on codes sent back.

Ignition switch replaced

Throttle Position Sensor

Thermostat replaced

Fuel Pump was checked twice and is fine.

Gradually instead of once every few weeks it started happening once a week, then a few times a day.

Car kept dieing while running at various speeds, and when codes were ran again two more times,same codes came back to replace TPS etc. In other words, codes are telling me to replace sensor, ignition even though the were replaced a few days prior.

Car is now starting, running at idle for a minute then dies before going into gear. Random cutting out at various speeds, idle .

My only guess , and I do not know a lot about engines, is that it is the computer box.

Any suggestions on what this may be or where should I start looking ? Thank you

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
If you're getting the same codes after replacing the appropriate sensors/hardware, it could be a wiring issue. It's a pain in the ass to trace through wiring to look for damage, as it can be time consuming. :twocents:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Without the codes there is no way we can really help you. What plugs did you put in? What is your overall maintenance history on the vehicle?

Mike w

Jun 24, 2014
The underhood fuse box could be the problem here is a pic of what happens to the wire under the fuse bow when they go bad they can cause random stalling and codes that are in a sense false

Attachments

• 20140219_213057_zps331a8294.jpg
    20140219_213057_zps331a8294.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: xavierny25

07TrailyLS

May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
Could it have been a bad ignition switch replacement? Only reason I ask is because it's not the first time someone got a bad one right out of the box on our site

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
2006 Chevy Trailblazer EXT 6 liter

Are you sure about which engine? The 6.0L only came in the SS and never in an EXT. If it's a V8, it's a 5.3L. The I6 only came in 4.2L.

Reactions: dmanns67

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online