Switchbacks for reverse lights

Mirage

Original poster
Feb 23, 2014
I came across this on YouTube. Is it anybody on this forum? I thought it is a really interesting idea and curious how it would have been done

http://youtu.be/N4B3wDIKdxM

Hope the link works. If not search tb led switchbacks.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
That's different. Although I have never used my turn signal while reversing though, but I understand the need for switchbacks since he is using the reverse light as a turn signal.

He should have tied in the turn signal in the tail light to the parking/brake light, similar to May03LT's mod.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
Ok,that's perfect for us in Europe.

I have thought about doing this.

We can't have red turnsignals in Europe if not very special demands is fulfilled.

I have my turnsignals there and got a aux backuplight under my bumper, so this would be perfect mod to do.

This would include some wiring within the lightboards but nothing to complicated as I have already done a quad brake and taillight mod in there.

Reactions: dmanns67

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
DJones did something similar to this on his TB. He bought the aftermarket tails that have clear lenses and all chrome reflectors in the back (super rare and almost impossible to find) and has 3 sets of switchbacks to have a few different functions use 2 bulbs on the same side.

The mod in the video wouldn't be very hard to accomplish at all. The reverse light sockets are 3156 (only 1 connection, using the high contact on a 3157 bulb) You would need to get a pair of 3157 sockets (2 connections, using the high and low contacts) and of course the switchbacks you wanted.

Cut the turn signal wire from it's socket, do the same with both connections for the reverse light, take those ends and splice them to the pigtails. Reverse to the low side, turn signal to the high side, ground to ground. Pop in your switchback, test to make sure you got it how you want it, seal your connections, and enjoy! :yes: :thumbsup:

Now if you have stock tails, then like Harpo said, you'd have to do some modding of the circuit boards instead, but the methodology is the same.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.