SUV Crash in Russia

silverunicorn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Let me preface this by saying this is an EXTREMELY violent, and obviously Fatal accident.

If you are squeamish, do NOT watch this. It should serve as a reminder to everyone that just because you are in an SUV, and may have 4 Wheel Drive, you are not invincible, and everyone's world can change in an instant.

This was a Nissan of some sort from the comments on the video. It is NOT my video.

[video=youtube;ItA8ntrtSPs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItA8ntrtSPs[/video]

Be safe!

Chris

million-miles

Jan 10, 2012
Being a long haul truck driver for 9 years that was on of my worst fears. A car infront of me and i cant stop.

Juicy K

Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
That was not pretty at all. That is why 4WD, AWD whatever, anything can slide. I enjoy sitting in parking lots when it snows so I can watch the people slide around, but that would suck to witness that.

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
Damn that is a reality check take it easy on the roadways no matter what the conditions are. Pull into a parking lot and wait out. Damn that's messed up sad vid indeed

LordBear

Dec 22, 2011
million-miles said:
Being a long haul truck driver for 9 years that was on of my worst fears. A car infront of me and i cant stop.

that is why i never wanted to start driving truck... cars a freaking nuts as it is let alone adding ice to it... i had so many close calls do to idiots. i think the dmv should have more laws and rules for dealing with trucks on the road.

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
That has got to be a shitty way to go. :lipsrsealed:

Looked like he hit the center median slush and just couldn't recover from him over-correction...

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
That looked like a toy car exploding...

silverunicorn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Hatchet said:
That looked like a toy car exploding...

That was my initial reaction too, but I can honestly think that any vehicle might have done the same thing. Hard to say, but I never want to find out.

If there is any fortunate thing in thi situation, it is that the SUV driver most likely did not even know what hit him. There was no time really to process what was about to happen.

Chris

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I have another video to add on the same topic. I was impressed by the number of people that stopped to help. Here in the states most people would have just kept going.

[video=youtube;I2hUCMM-ucQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2hUCMM-ucQ[/video]

silverunicorn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Regulator said:
I have another video to add on the same topic. I was impressed by the number of people that stopped to help. Here in the states most people would have just kept going.

[video=youtube;I2hUCMM-ucQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2hUCMM-ucQ[/video]

Yeah, that was alot of people that stopped.

I can't get over how fast they drive in these road conditions. I mean, sure, they may be alot more used to it, but still!

Chris

Denis7966

Dec 22, 2011
silverunicorn said:
That was my initial reaction too, but I can honestly think that any vehicle might have done the same thing. Hard to say, but I never want to find out.

If there is any fortunate thing in thi situation, it is that the SUV driver most likely did not even know what hit him. There was no time really to process what was about to happen.

Chris

Sometimes you just have to wonder if there IS such a thing as "when it's your time, it's your time". And how about fate? Some of us believe in it, some of us don't - but I mean, a few seconds either way and he probably would just have ended up in the ditch.
Very sad to see.

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
silverunicorn said:
...I can't get over how fast they drive in these road conditions. I mean, sure, they may be alot more used to it, but still! Chris

I watched that video three times just to be sure.
As an experienced Northern Ontario driver who drives Hwy's in that type of road conditions more often than not.
I offer the following;

The driver was doing fine on the roads until he came around that corner and saw the big rig seemingly stopped or very slow moving in front of him.
The driver made the worst mistake that he could ever do. Excessive speed combined with tapping the brakes.

4x4's can get moving and stay moving very well. It's the stopping that sucks as demonstrated.
Hell, I'm guilty of that very same maneuver in my younger days. Tap the brakes, start the fishtailing, end up in the ditch. In my case, I just called my Dad. That guy, not so lucky. That sucks.
I see that maneuver many times every winter. I even stop to help some of them. Harmless and I just saw that going home from our last mini-meet in January. Harmless even stopped!

These days, I slow down and leave plenty of space between me and whatever is in front of me.
Just my .02 and observations from 23 yrs driving in that shit.

Jeeps with thier center diff locking are less affected. When the brakes are tapped, the center diff sends the braking action of the front wheels locking up to the rear axle thus helping to stop better.

Wahugg

Dec 4, 2011
It just blew that SUV away like it was glass! Certainly a lesson to keep in mind for the future.

06Envoy said:
Jeeps with thier center diff locking are less affected. When the brakes are tapped, the center diff sends the braking action of the front wheels locking up to the rear axle thus helping to stop better.

IIRC, our trailblazers differential is not technically "locked" but due to our clutches, the front and rear drive terrain will not deviate RPM from each other, or if they do it is an extremely small amount. Otherwise if just one wheel in a non-G80 4x4 trailblazer was off the ground, all the power would leak out of it. Also it is due to our "locked" transfer case that we have bind up situations on pavement. If we did not have locked clutches, but instead a viscous clutch, we would not have bind up situations on pavement due to both wheels, and both axles being able to deviate from each other (also assuming it is a non G80 4x4).

-Wahugg

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Having lived in MN my whole life, many of us are actually fantastic drivers on snow and ice out of so much experience starting with old school rwd vehicles back when. Now having owned two vehicles with stability control I can say that, that situation is exactly what it prevents. My first 360 that was pre stabilitrack was a wild horse compared to my current two in the winter. I literally can't force them to do anything but drive straight with only the slightest of tail wag until it self corrects when all the systems (both of them) are on. I would have called someone a liar if they explained to me how effective it is until I owend one.
That first video is so shocking, it almost seems fake.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlyatauction