Support Group/Thread For Mod Addiction or MA

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
ws9top.jpg

wsqcon4.jpg

smoothy%20q.jpg

Would the last pic be the said car you are looking to put a hood on?? If soo I dont think those rims do it justice. I'd say save ok the hood and get some new rims. Just my :twocents: :2thumbsup:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Too many good choices to choose from
I thought I saw two styles. If that's the case coin toss. But I am also really tired

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I put VHT on lights in the house. Does that count?

Reactions: Capote

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I got the hankering to modify something on the truck again. Will finish the retrofit soon now that the weather is good for aiming, but there is something else I'm thinking of doing as well :undecided:

Reactions: Blckshdw

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Three hoods
WSQ with the big extractors in the raised part and on sides
WS9 which is a bit more aggressive than the stock plus heat extractors
Smoothie-Q which is the WSQ without big ads extractors on raised part

--none of the pics are my car. Mine is chameleon w black chrome wheels

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
I dunno why, but when I first read this, I coulda swore it said "electric fans" :crazy:

Hahaha, electric fans, should I get them as well

Three hoods
WSQ with the big extractors in the raised part and on sides
WS9 which is a bit more aggressive than the stock plus heat extractors
Smoothie-Q which is the WSQ without big ads extractors on raised part

--none of the pics are my car. Mine is chameleon w black chrome wheels

Mind posting pics of your car, so that we may evaluate the mods and what mods are required :crackup:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Smoothie Q from VFN is about to be ordered. Worth the 9 week wait as I found the body shop doing the paint will be getting a brand new high dollar paint system in and would rather have the better paint setup when its done. It is going to be done by a Chevy dealer owned by my buddy and should be as good as one can get. Likely whole car repaint in same GM color

Car for reference

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I'm jealous you're getting your car redone. Not jealous of why you are, but still.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
It makes good out of a crappy situation, but half the summer I will be rolling dinged up

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Hahaha, electric fans, should I get them as well

Where you live, no. You need all the cooling you can get and that you can get only from the stock fan. Our radiator is marginal so the engineers over-compensated with a big-ass clutch fan. I was into the e-fan Kool Aid for a while and it was marginal here in 30c temps so. A/C was also marginal.

While most other platforms, including the full size, went to e-fans while we stayed with clutch fans. There's a reason why.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I was into the e-fan Kool Aid for a while and it was marginal here in 30c temps so. A/C was also marginal.

While most other platforms, including the full size, went to e-fans while we stayed with clutch fans. There's a reason why.
What about E-fans on a larger aluminum racing radiator?

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
What about E-fans on a larger aluminum racing radiator?

If you get a bigger (read thicker) radiator, you'll be in better shape. I know the one that Brandon got was 2", and he told me his temps held really well with the dual 12" fan setup he shared with me.

Of course, your average forum member isn't gonna have the skills to fab up new mounts for the radiator and shroud like he did.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
If you get a bigger (read thicker) radiator, you'll be in better shape. I know the one that Brandon got was 2", and he told me his temps held really well with the dual 12" fan setup he shared with me.

Of course, your average forum member isn't gonna have the skills to fab up new mounts for the radiator and shroud like he did.
He has tried several times to get me to switch to an efan setup, but everyone on here said that efans weren't better than the stock fan setup on our platform. After seeing how well his truck handles as hard as he beat on it doing highway runs almost daily, the efans for sure work with a bigger radiator. Brandon is a very technical person. So i'm thinking of copying his setup. He'd be more than happy to fab everything up. I think I've ran out of things to do to Batblazer, performance wise that don't include modifying/upgrading engine internals. I don't think a turbo is gonna happen. Too involved time wise and too much money for me to undertake. I think a NOS setup is more the way to go (as much as a stock 4200 can handle). Brandon has been looking for a cheap enough kit to add a NOS setup on his. I don't know if he'll go the direct port route or have a plate mounted throttle body setup.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
One of our relocated members showed me his efan setup when we had a mini meet at his house last summer. I forget what engine was in the donor, but I believe it was an older model Corvette. :undecided:

20161001_121741.jpg

20161001_121811.jpg

I've always remembered that folks say we get bad performance in the heat, and you can see from the pics that the shroud doesn't even cover the whole radiator. When I asked him about it, he said his temps stayed within the normal range, even after he moved here. Can't get a much better endorsement than someone living in the same climate. :yes:

It turns out, he's got the same fan controller I was looking at for a while. Uses PWM for variable fan speed, and you can set the temp you want it to come on at, so that was encouraging too. :thumbsup:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I used Montana/Venture efans which covered most of the rad and moved a decent amount of air. Cooling was marginal and A/C performance was so so in hot weather idling.

I got off the Kool-Aid.

Reactions: Tiggerr

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I would for sure get a 1967-1973 Mopar 3 row radiator like Brandon has. His setup has two 14" fans that are 3400cfm IIRC. I found two fans that would get me like 3800cfm. His setup is always on High, but also has a Low setting. I don't believe his is tapped into anything for auto on/off functionality. He's never said there was any crazy power draw either. He still has the stock alternator too.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
But it always being on high defeats the hp saving behind efans... that energy comes from somewhere granted it's not as much but it still should dyno higher. Granted the difference between a mech fan and e fan is a couple of horsepower only. You really should never notice it... but the engineer in me wants to try it for the hell of it.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
But it always being on high defeats the hp saving behind efans... that energy comes from somewhere granted it's not as much but it still should dyno higher. Granted the difference between a mech fan and e fan is a couple of horsepower only. You really should never notice it... but the engineer in me wants to try it for the hell of it.
#becauseRaceTruck lmao

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
#becauseRaceTruck lmao
That's the other thing, being on high all the time kind of prices the whole marginal point as well. My fan clutch stays locked up most of the time (air plane roar) above 85. I also know my thermostat is junk but even towing the boat and flooring it I have yet to over heat the damn thing. Traffic included. Now when the ev clutch was bad I hit 238 and got scared. That's a different story though. And actually because work truck. :biggrin: it's a cool idea and if it works for you guys great. Not dissing at all.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
That's the other thing, being on high all the time kind of prices the whole marginal point as well. My fan clutch stays locked up most of the time (air plane roar) above 85. I also know my thermostat is junk but even towing the boat and flooring it I have yet to over heat the damn thing. Traffic included. Now when the ev clutch was bad I hit 238 and got scared. That's a different story though. And actually because work truck. :biggrin: it's a cool idea and if it works for you guys great. Not dissing at all.
Half the reason i'd even do it is because I love an empty looking engine bay. My Cutlass was as bare you can get it in the engine bay. If I do the efans and larger radiator i'd also relocate the overflow tank to a cylindrical one and mount it else where to gain an even more empty appearing bay.

I'm with you on the stock fan setup on a work truck and for towing. Efans are not gonna cut it for that at all. Temps sure do climb high when towing a load or hauling.

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Half the reason i'd even do it is because I love an empty looking engine bay. My Cutlass was as bare you can get it in the engine bay. If I do the efans and larger radiator i'd also relocate the overflow tank to a cylindrical one and mount it else where to gain an even more empty appearing bay.

I'm with you on the stock fan setup on a work truck and for towing. Efans are not gonna cut it for that at all. Temps sure do climb high when towing a load or hauling.
I thought because of the bigger radiator Brandon's took up a lot of space anyway plus the offset from the shroud? I could be remembering wrong. I'm with you on the clean engine bay. My aunt's 55 thunder bird has... ten wires under the hood? It's a joy.

Reactions: Tiggerr and Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I thought because of the bigger radiator Brandon's took up a lot of space anyway plus the offset from the shroud? I could be remembering wrong. I'm with you on the clean engine bay. My aunt's 55 thunder bird has... ten wires under the hood? It's a joy.
He can take out the water change pump, change alternator, etc with total ease. There's a lot of room.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I remember when I had the efans and loved that space. I didn't want to go any further than that trying to mod it with another radiator. I had a controller that I modded to do two speeds depending on coolant temps but couldn't get it to work automatically with A/C to make it economical (A/C on, idling fans on/moving, fans off) so I was using switches to do that. I couldn't justify the expense of another rad.

Now, 06+ the fans can be controlled by the PCM via a tune by PCMofNC and their harness. So I wonder on my "new" 07 LS, I wonder....:undecided:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I still have a set of venture fans downstairs if anyone wants them.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Replaced the crap EBay filter with a Green Filter brand one. Back to stock size finally. I was an idiot and ordered it without realizing it didn't have a coupler attached......so I had to remove the old filter's one and super glue to it to the Green Filter. Problem solved :2thumbsup:
Excuse the pollen ridden bay, doesn't stay clean during spring :blinkhuh:
IMG_20170415_183450.jpg IMG_20170415_185049.jpg IMG_20170415_200924.jpg IMG_20170415_200938.jpg

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I really like the blacked out radiator overflow tank. That's a great idea to make things blend in a lot better. :thumbups:
Thanks Carlton. Did it a long time ago lol. Thinking about getting a smaller universal one and mounting it elsewhere perhaps? I'm sure I can come up with a bracket to hold up the a/c accumulator in place without the stock overflow tank.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Pulled the trigger on new rotors and pads. Not my first choice, but I couldn't afford the EBC slotted only ones. These were a good deal. If the pads they came with suck, I'll get PowerStop Z23 pads.
Screenshot_2017-04-25-15-12-57.jpeg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You got the bigger brake setup? I might buy a full kit again when I need brakes and it that is big ones....decent price!

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
You got the bigger brake setup? I might buy a full kit again when I need brakes and it that is big ones....decent price!
I didn't go with the bigger ones this time only because I didn't want to spend too much due to very limited funds this month... Maybe next time I do the brakes, I'll do the larger upgrade like I had wanted to do.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I got lucky, the EXT set that I bought was marked down to that price on a black Friday sale. Dunno why slotted only cost more than drilled AND slotted. Less labor and machine time to make em right? I mean come on! :tongue:

Reactions: Tiggerr and Capote

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online

No members online now.