Support Group/Thread For Mod Addiction or MA

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Well I got the Camaro all put back together and running so I can now freely take the truck apart. My new hydraulic strut compressor arrived today which is good. It looks like the weather is going to be fairly uncomfortable to do work on the truck for the next week or so (high 80s into the 90s and storms), except for Saturday is supposed to be 70s. I'll try to do the shock replacement then. Tires will come next week if that's the case.

I made some more progress on the retrofit. Both housings are opened and LED modules in place, so all that's left is some cleanup, minor wiring, and projector alignment so I can seal them back up!

I believe the plan is to fix the tail lights on Thursday after work using my coworker's know-how with the laser and using some scrap ABS.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
What tires did you decide on?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
It wasn't really a mod but I ordered some magnets (wire clip-on ones) to try to eliminate some of the noise on fm. Must say it actually worked well, increase of noise is minimal to say the least.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Probably KO2. Local place has a decent price on them installed/balanced/road hazard/etc.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I think I can mount my tail lights soon. Got the mounts all fixed up, just waiting for the ABS cement to dry.

And I need a couple more scrap pieces of ABS from work for the headlights to cover up some stuff and I think I can then finish them up!

Progress! End is in sight! Done by Friday? I think so!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I got parts and parts ordered on the TA already and now cant stop looking at rims and tires and debating if I go with 5x120 for a bigger selection of be safe w the 5x4.75 A few thousands is really not scarying me much with hub rings and methodical wheel install like i do.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I mean the difference it would be is a couple of sheets of paper... I wouldn't worry about it imo.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I keep reading that. Just need find something decently priced that will fit the car

Reactions: littleblazer

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
What kind of wheels you like? I went to OEwheelsllc.com for mine.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Honestly I like something not stock looking. I almost bought some staggered C5 wheels, but just could not do it. I am thinking a 17 and simple all season tire for commuting.

EDIT: It is funny though. I checked out that site and they are reasonable and have some nice stuff, like these Stingray wheels that almost match the ones I am real close to ordering
CV18A-17095-5475-54MB1-3-p.jpg

vs these that I have been eyeing

t_20160524.drad67.dgmcxx.ang.jpg

Last edited:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Well....

I think the retrofit is a bust for tomorrow. Just a few nagging things left that I don't want to rush and regret later. Oh well.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
You're doing it too fast anyway, you know we gotta take our time with these things man! :hopeless:
So you're saying my 24 hour retro was too quick? :poke:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If it is a quick open > install Mini H1 > shut, well, that's fine. Naturally I couldn't do that though, I had to get more complicated which results in it taking a lot longer than it should just to get it to look less crap after all the chopping/trimming/fitting holes lol.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I'm only kidding. I did basic retro because I wanted a stock look. And I had to cut way more than I thought I would because of the 6.0s shorter shaft. I was going to build clear corners and build some smd strips to hide in the housings but it never worked out. Amber smds are actually hard to find.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Well hell. I am back in here for group meetings. I did not need em, but had to mod the truck again with yet another set of new tires. Saw a sale for one day only and pulled the trigger on some gnarly meats. Now it starts again with the old rims coming back out of hibernation and the current setup getting sold.

Reactions: Mounce

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Uh oh! Let it loose :biggrin:

My mod bug has been tamed for a while, mostly out of necessity. But that's ok... I'm sure it'll come back!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Forces my hand to get the truck back up to snuff on the front end. Put all the parts on it finally. Rack, tie rods, LCA, UBJ, CV and do an alignment

Reactions: xavierny25

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
get on it then

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Three months of rehab paid off for me. The worst I want to do is fix the harness for the projectors but I don't even have the motivation to do that... :crackup:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I do need to get back to my retrofit. Get it done before snow flies. Would be good to do. I just keep forgetting to measure out what I need to laser the piece at work!

Still unsure of the projector shrouds too. I may just say screw it and leave it as-is. Without doing heavy modding to the headlight housings I can't set the projectors back any further anyway.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I think the EXT is trying to prod my LED mod bug. I JUST replaced one of the slider LEDs in the HVAC module a couple months ago, and it's flickering already :mad:

After putting those PCBs with the tiny LEDs in my steering wheel, they are much brighter than the ebay LED/resistor combos I used everywhere else and it's imbalanced visually. So I'm probably gonna buy a bunch of them and swap out all the LEDs in the other modules. May order some and do some modding during holiday downtime in front of the TV. :undecided:

Reactions: xavierny25

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
With all my exterior lighting (still waiting on my 3rd brake light to get here today or tomorrow) done. I think it's about that time to get my hands dirty and start changing out out my interior dash lights. All the bulbs on my steering wheel are out. I got one out in the upper right of the gauges. And lastly there is one out in the digital hvac control unit(then again I might not want to change this one out because of the scratches on the button that look horrid). Im planning to just go with plain white leds since nothing out there has got me going I want that or that's dope.

smt 59

With all my exterior lighting (still waiting on my 3rd brake light to get here today or tomorrow) done. I think it's about that time to get my hands dirty and start changing out out my interior dash lights. All the bulbs on my steering wheel are out. I got one out in the upper right of the gauges. And lastly there is one out in the digital hvac control unit(then again I might not want to change this one out because of the scratches on the button that look horrid). Im planning to just go with plain white leds since nothing out there has got me going I want that or that's dope.

How do you change the lights in the steering wheel, I have one out that I would like to change. Did not know this could be done without changing the buttons ?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
How do you change the lights in the steering wheel, I have one out that I would like to change. Did not know this could be done without changing the buttons ?

The buttons are held in the wheel by friction only. Get a thin flat tool to wedge in the side and pry them out. From there, the process is the same as changing any other light in one of the modules. :twocents:

Reactions: smt 59

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Check out the led mod thread that's where anything lighting is.

EDIT... @Blckshdw has a very extensive build thread there.

Reactions: Blckshdw

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Guess I have a couple mods to take care of now... Amps have been going into protection mode... High voltage protection that is and a by product of that is that all of those nice dome lights I built with flat tops are s***ing the bed.... So I need to get on those two things I guess.... Strangely the front two are fine that is why I haven't noticed it. All of the back ones either flicker or have strips burnt out but hardly anyone is back there, I noticed it pulling the tools from the trunk last night. Can't handle 15+ something volts I guess.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The addiction got me again. Waiting for the other tires I ordered to be made and debating on cancelling that order, coupled with DTD offering another round of great rebates led me to having these in my garage

DTD had them at my house 17 hours after ordering. DAMN...makes me want to order more while the sale is going on, but everything has new tires now...

But i think i will go ahead and get the other ones and then put them side by side and decide which get sold

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
If i am going to play with building myself a new air intake...I need a coupler to the throttle body. Is it 3 or 3.5? Trying to order today but truck is 70 miles away. My research seems to be lacking that number

Reactions: Capote

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
If i am going to play with building myself a new air intake...I need a coupler to the throttle body. Is it 3 or 3.5? Trying to order today but truck is 70 miles away. My research seems to be lacking that number
3 inch iirc.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I thought so, but looking at volant info i saw 3-3.5 off the TB and was not sure which side went where.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I recall people using 3 inch schedule 40 so I would assume it's 3 all the way. I know some neck down at the tb I believe but I'm pretty sure it's 3.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sweet. I figure i might as well just run the filter right up to my cowl opening. See if that does anything overall.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online