Support Group/Thread For Mod Addiction or MA

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I know for certain things it matters, I'm not educated enough on electronics to tell you yes though. Voltage on the other hand can be raised I believe.

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
For the cap mod, I found through searching that the capacitor should be 10uf 35v. I liked the idea of an axial lead capacitor, my RadioShack was fresh out of them but had a 22uf 35v cap. Does the uf value really matter in this use? As in would the 22uf capacitor work?

If not I picked up a standard leaded 10uf 35v cap just in case. Just think the axial cap would make for a cleaner install with the leads on the ends.

If 10uf is what was calculated to keep the headlights powered during the off duty cycle of the pulse width modulation then 22uf should work since it is larger. It will probably just keep the headlights on for a fraction of a second longer when shut off.

Reactions: stickypoop

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah should be fine. Also, 35V is not necessary as we won't see anything higher than about 15 volts or so. A 16V cap would be fine, but a 25V for a little extra wiggle room wouldn't be bad.

Using a 35V cap won't hurt, it just is physically larger.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I am glad members take the time to do output comparison shots of projectors on HIDP. Helps to narrow down your choice and see what kind of output you are working with.

Speaking of comparison shot, came across another thread on HIDP done by HK45. All projectors are using the Morimoto XB HIDs powered by the Denso Slim ballasts. Pics taken with a Nikon D7000.

Output shots at different distances with the low beam and also hi beam. Basically covers every projector that is out there, LED fogs, and some generic projectors as well. The Q45 projector's output does not really look that bad.

https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/fo...381230-the-hyyuge-projector-full-beam-gallery

Stewzer55

Feb 15, 2014
I've come across the realization that my headlight housings are going to need to be replaced, lens is cracked on the left and the right might as well be replaced too. Really weighing my options.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Retrofit!!

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
My favorite thread is dead:frown:

I have plans to get my hands on a 3.73 rear with a G80 locker gents, once my transmission issues are resolved, and stay resolved for a month, by that time I know it'll probably stay good.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Mods are going too well to need much support! I am loving the new setup and with a few tweaks I should be dialed in for at least a few weeks

Reactions: Capote

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I obligated myself to $3600 for my driveway so I'm a little slim on money.

I haven't had time to tinker with my headlights either. Next week, perhaps.

Reactions: Capote

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I got roped into modding the kitchen so the house is fully done before i get my shop. Smarter investment, but it started as $500 or so mini-mod and now is about $5K in cabinet doors, counters, appliances, sink. removing and modifying some cabinets, adding built-in microwave.

Got a problem with not going all-out when shit needs modded.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I have one mod coming in the mail from Motor City Vinyl. I have been contemplating about doing it a while now and finally pulled the trigger. Hope it looks good.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I started tinkering with the headlights on the Silverado again, marked some cuts I need to make on the bezel piece, and figured it would be best to use my cheap dremel knockoff to make the cuts. That's when I realized I have zero power at my work bench in my basement. None of the outlets on it work. At some point the previous owners cut the wiring to the bench outlets, probably years ago when they renovated the house given the outlets and wiring between them are some really old school 2 prong stuff while everything in the house is fairly modern grounded stuff.

I either have to do this work out in the garage (where there is no work bench or room to work right now), outdoors near the lone outdoor outlet, or I need to fix up the workbench area in the basement.

Always something!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You can do it! Fix up the wiring and get the little basement of lights going!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah, not hard, just time. I need to clean up the main panel too because it is a bit of a mess and also has no spaces left to put workbench outlets in with.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Double breakers. :raspberry:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Subs in the basement for rocking out while working!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Can't do tandem breakers in the panel, it doesn't support them. I'd have to modify the bar to get them hooked up.

A sub would work but be a little overkill for just needing one circuit. I'd rather clean up the spaghetti first and see where that leaves things before I go putting in another panel. Cheaper too. Heck I have to rewire some stuff because the previous guy ran 12/3 for two 20A circuits, sharing the neutral between them. Yeah that's safe :crazy:

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Heck I have to rewire some stuff because the previous guy ran 12/3 for two 20A circuits, sharing the neutral between them. Yeah that's safe :crazy:

I've seen that before. I've even seen a neutral wire burn of its shielding because they've overloaded it. Luckily it was in conduit pipe so I was able to pull 3 neutral wire through at the junction box and splice it all back in.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Bet he did that a few beers deep

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
If they're opposite phases? That would actually work I think? We had to do that at the marina because other wise the whole dock would need to have been re wired and that's a shit ton of 10/3

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
If they're opposite phases? That would actually work I think? We had to do that at the marina because other wise the whole dock would need to have been re wired and that's a shit ton of 10/3

Not with 2 20amp breaker is that safe. 2 15amp breakers yes because one would trip before causing any damage to the neutral.

12 gauge although rated to max 20 amps. Is OK to run 27amps through. Unfortunately they don't have a 27amp fuse/breaker.lol. So that why you have to jump up to 10 gauge and your only good to pull 30amp. On that.

And of course distance is a negative drop off too.

Last edited:
Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Not with 2 20amp breaker is that safe. 2 15amp breakers yes because one would trip before causing any damage to the neutral.

12 gauge although rated to max 20 amps. Is OK to run 27amps through. Unfortunately they don't have a 27amp fuse.lol. So that why you have to jump up to 10 gauge and your only good to pull 30amp. On that.

And of course distance is a negative drop off too.
Well it's all 30 amp plugs so maybe we have an issue after all. :blinkhuh:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I hope you got good insurance.
Hey, the owner is the one who told the electrician to do it!

Edit: Come to think of it, the whole place is run off of a 100 amp service.

Last edited:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Yes sir. straight out of 1960's and hasn't been updated since.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Anyone on here running these bulbs.

Sylvania 168/194/2825 LED Bulb, Contains 1 Bulb

I've been running them for some time now and I extremely happy.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Anyone on here running these bulbs.

Sylvania 168/194/2825 LED Bulb, Contains 1 Bulb

I've been running them for some time now and I extremely happy.

Are you talking about this LED? When I was at Walmart picking up some oil the other day, I seen them there for $10 a piece. Up front its a lot of money, but when I think back to all of the money I spent on EBay LEDs that have burnt out within 6 months, I spent quite a bit. Seems like a quality LED.

k2-_28b57c04-875c-47d3-a91c-840cb42c58af.v1.jpg

Reactions: xavierny25

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Are you talking about this LED? When I was at Walmart picking up some oil the other day, I seen them there for $10 a piece. Up front its a lot of money, but when I think back to all of the money I spent on EBay LEDs that have burnt out within 6 months, I spent quite a bit. Seems like a quality LED.

View attachment 75206

Yes that's it. I've got them in my license plate and all the interior 194 replaced with them. It was expensive at first so I bought 2 at a time and none have gone out or flickered.

I tried a jdm astar 194 led that was a little brighter but it didn't last 3 weeks.

I saw a youtube video about a osram sylvaina 6700k 194 bulb I wanna try out.

Reactions: dmanns67

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
I actually have those as my license plate lights. Had some cheap eBay ones that kept burning out. Had a gift card to Walmart and used it to buy a couple. They have held up nicely so far. Been about 3 months which is longer than the eBay ones lasted. Very bright also.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Yes that's it. I've got them in my license plate and all the interior 194 replaced with them. It was expensive at first so I bought 2 at a time and none have gone out or flickered.

I tried a jdm astar 194 led that was a little brighter but it didn't last 3 weeks.

I saw a youtube video about a osram sylvaina 6700k 194 bulb I wanna try out.

After my EBay ones failed, I also bought some JDM Astar from Amazon. The interior ones are holding up well, but its the damn 194 license plate lights that fail every 6 months.

I actually have those as my license plate lights. Had some cheap eBay ones that kept burning out. Had a gift card to Walmart and used it to buy a couple. They have held up nicely so far. Been about 3 months which is longer than the eBay ones lasted. Very bright also.

Good to know. When I was looking at them, I was thinking how they would work out in my license plate lights. I might have to give them a try. Anything i better than replacing LEDs every 6 months.

I have to say that I think the LEDs are failing from opening/closing the rear hatch and vibrating the LEDs. I have the JDM Astar LEDs installed in the wife's license plate lights on the F150 and I have not had to replace one of those since installing almost a year ago.

Reactions: Redbeard and Sib

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
After my EBay ones failed, I also bought some JDM Astar from Amazon. The interior ones are holding up well, but its the damn 194 license plate lights that fail every 6 months.

Good to know. When I was looking at them, I was thinking how they would work out in my license plate lights. I might have to give them a try. Anything i better than replacing LEDs every 6 months.

I have to say that I think the LEDs are failing from opening/closing the rear hatch and vibrating the LEDs. I have the JDM Astar LEDs installed in the wife's license plate lights on the F150 and I have not had to replace one of those since installing almost a year ago.

^^^This, and I also think that when I wash my truck, the seal of the lens covers is not the greatest, so water may be getting inside and shorting them out. If these end up going out soon, will try to figure out a way to make a better gasket to seal them up a little better.

Reactions: Redbeard

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
^^^This, and I also think that when I wash my truck, the seal of the lens covers is not the greatest, so water may be getting inside and shorting them out. If these end up going out soon, will try to figure out a way to make a better gasket to seal them up a little better.

My seals were dry rotted and about the thickness of a couple sheets of paper which would allow water/moisture in. I bought some vinyl foam self-adhesive weather stripping and cut it to fit. The roll was much thicker than need, just had to cut the thickness in half. I could not run one continuous strip, so I just cut four pieces to fit.

01041-01048.jpg

Reactions: Redbeard and Sib

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
My seals were dry rotted and about the thickness of a couple sheets of paper which would allow water/moisture in. I bought some vinyl foam self-adhesive weather stripping and cut it to fit. The roll was much thicker than need, just had to cut the thickness in half. I could not run one continuous strip, so I just cut four pieces to fit.

View attachment 75208

Yep mine are pretty much paper thin as well. Will have to pick some of that stuff up.

Reactions: dmanns67

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Bit frustrated with the H1 and projectors. I have a shadow in the driver beam. It has to be from the lil rod thing, but I tried putting it to side like the headlights seem to indicate should be and the passenger is, but dr has shadow. Rotate it to rod down and still a shadow. Does not seem to want to fit any other way due to slots in the bulb mount. Which way should the lil rod be facing? Never had H1 bulbs before so it is F'ing with my mod addicition to not have these dialed in yet

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Bit frustrated with the H1 and projectors. I have a shadow in the driver beam. It has to be from the lil rod thing, but I tried putting it to side like the headlights seem to indicate should be and the passenger is, but dr has shadow. Rotate it to rod down and still a shadow. Does not seem to want to fit any other way due to slots in the bulb mount. Which way should the lil rod be facing? Never had H1 bulbs before so it is F'ing with my mod addicition to not have these dialed in yet
I always thought it was rod down. Maybe swap bulbs and see if it follows it then compare the rod? Maybe it's bent.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.