Supersparkz

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
Sparky said:
You'll have to report back what what improvements there are from porting the throttle body. Honestly I'm a tad bit skeptical on whether it is really worth upwards of $300 to just shave some metal off.
Your right to be skeptical if all your doing is just the TB. I wouldn't do it either if that was all I had planned.
I'm a big believer in getting as much air as possible into and out of the motor, thus increasing airflow. (You should read the debates we had on WAI vs CAI vs Air Volume vs $$$!)

I'm comming to the 5.3 from a Vortec 5.7 where I was very skeptical of everything. :undecided:
Then the mod bug bit me. I ended up doing the WAI, ported TB, intake spacer, headers, etc. I have no access to a dyno this far North, but my butt-o-meter says something magical was occuring. :biggrin:

Each item by itself probably doesn't do anything much. It's when they are aggregated together does something magical occur.
I'm hoping to get the same effect on both my 5.3 and my 4.2. :yes:

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
infamouz said:
I got this installed in mine and it made a big difference on idle, plus I switched from bosch 4 to ac delco irridium plugs.
Probably the plugs that made the biggest difference.

2010 CamaroSS said:
Not too mention the beryllium copper is a better conductor than the copper tubing
Yes it is, a better conductor for RF voltage. Plugs are fired with DC voltage, probably no difference

Wooluf1952 said:
The I6 just has the spring touching the top of the plug.
The spring should be pushed down onto the metal connector on the top of the plug. The solid copper replacement will only touch the top of the plug.

Snake oil my friends, snake oil :twocents:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
They have slits in the end and look like they actually seat over the ends of the plugs. No, I haven't confirmed this, but it certainly looks like it would do that.

Copper is a little hard to be considered an "oil" :tongue: :biggrin:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Sparky said:
They have slits in the end and look like they actually seat over the ends of the plugs. No, I haven't confirmed this, but it certainly looks like it would do that.

Agreed^^

There's no way the dimensions would allow a solid tube to just touch the plug and get a good contact.

Not saying Ray is wrong.

It's like HI-Performance wires.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Sparky said:
They have slits in the end and look like they actually seat over the ends of the plugs.

Wooluf1952 said:
Agreed^^

There's no way the dimensions would allow a solid tube to just touch the plug and get a good contact.

Not saying Ray is wrong.
If there are slits and they are designed to "push" onto the top of the plug, I stand corrected with respect to the "just touching the top of the plug" comment. And, that is where the beryllium becomes an asset, it allows the copper to have some spring tension to stay connected to the plug

If the slit exists, there may be no electrical disadvantage; however, I still do not see any electrical advantage.

Again, this is my :twocents:

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
Well, I bought a kit for my wife's TB.
Here are the pics of what I got.

Is one supposed to be 1/8" longer than the others?
The other guys who bought them, does yours look like this?
3258-100-0899.jpg

3257-100-0896.jpg

3256-100-0895.jpg

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
I'm beginning to think buying them was a mistake. I made my purchase Jan 9th and until now haven't received them. James has been cooperative though and is following up on his side.

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
06Envoy said:

3258-100-0899.jpg

3257-100-0896.jpg

3256-100-0895.jpg

Woohoo got mine in the mail today! :wootwoot: They're all the same size here buddy.

2d1e7ba6.jpg

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
I'm thinking about getting them too, but not many members here have any actual results. 4.5 weeks until my massive overhaul...

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
U can count on me posting my results once done. I'm not looking for performance. Just smoother idle. If I have the time gonna do it this weekend (I hope)

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
fadyasha said:
Woohoo got mine in the mail today! :wootwoot: They're all the same size here buddy.

2d1e7ba6.jpg

Damn! I guess I got a bad batch. I just emailed him about a replacement set.
I'm glad that you got yours ok though. Good luck on your install this weekend!

khill

Jan 7, 2012
Mine were all the same length too... hope you get new ones soon!

Installed mine easily and successfully. Can't comment on a difference because I was having a different problem at the time, but from a mechanical/electrical standpoint having a solid constant connection just makes sense as opposed to the stock springs in there. The material has a greater conductance value than the springs too, which can't be a bad thing.

In my opinion, even if it's just a mental placebo effect, it's worth it.

-Khill

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
James replied that the difference in length doesn't matter.. 'it's all good!'.... :crazy:
At this point in time, I'm not inclined to install them.

I have also just decided that James will not be selling me a ported TB, if he figures that a 2mm discrepancy doesn't matter... :hissyfit:

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
06Envoy said:
James replied that the difference in length doesn't matter.. 'it's all good!'.... :crazy:
At this point in time, I'm not inclined to install them.

I have also just decided that James will not be selling me a ported TB, if he figures that a 2mm discrepancy doesn't matter... :hissyfit:

I still have a slight vibration after installing my James ported tb...he never responded to my concerns with it...

Busterbrown

Dec 4, 2011
Installed a set 2 weeks ago on my Rainier and haven't had a random misfire since. The truck noticeably seems to idle a bit smoother. A recommended mod if you're experiencing similar ignition coil conduction problems.

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
Busterbrown said:
Installed a set 2 weeks ago on my Rainier and haven't had a random misfire since. The truck noticeably seems to idle a bit smoother. A recommended mod if you're experiencing similar ignition coil conduction problems.

Were yours all the same length?
Do you think an extra 2mm on one would hurt anything? I guess I'm asking if you found any slack or were they tight?
Did you change spark plugs as well?

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
Pittdawg said:
I still have a slight vibration after installing my James ported tb...he never responded to my concerns with it...

That sucks man.. I hope that you get that sorted.
Thanks for chiming in!
I think I will probably go with Jantzers ported TB...

lint

Dec 4, 2011
06Envoy said:

3258-100-0899.jpg

3257-100-0896.jpg

3256-100-0895.jpg

Hopefully the one is 1/8'' to long and the rest are not 1/8'' to short ,, lol , looking at them the cuts are all the same depth . I would just file a little off the one in the pic on the upper side .If its too tight.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
IMHO, since the Supersparkz slide over the plug, not just touching the top of the plug, the length can be variable without any problems.

Having said that, having them all the same would just look better to the customer.

Also, if you do file them down, wear a respirator or mask.

khill

Jan 7, 2012
Now personally, I would agree that the 1/4 longer length wouldn't matter. When I installed mine, the rod fully covered the nub on he coil but seemed to just attach to the plug. You could check spacing, but I think it will work just fine, covering 1/4 inch more of the plug than the others. I haven't noticed any problems wih mine and I don't think I will, the either the coil or the plug move enough relative to each other for there to be an issue.

My 2¢

-Khill

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
Finally got around to installing the supersparks! The idle is better yes but nothing really noticeable to be honest.

I changed the spark plugs and installed the supersparks. So you can't really tell. Didn't do much but also didn't do harm.

End result -> not that impressed

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
fadyasha said:
Finally got around to installing the supersparks! The idle is better yes but nothing really noticeable to be honest.

I changed the spark plugs and installed the supersparks. So you can't really tell. Didn't do much but also didn't do harm.

End result -> not that impressed

Thanks for the update. please keep updated for any long term impressions

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
So after a day of having them installed and over 300 miles of driving (yeh that's alot in just 2 days) I must say I do feel the difference. Idle is better than before and when shifting between gears bit smoother. I usually feel a bit holding back when gear shifts so that's not noticeable anymore. :wink:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I keep looking at these thinking to myself, "Is it really worth 40 bucks just to make it idle a little smoother?" Like really, is that going to make a bit of difference in the grand scheme of things?

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
It depends on you. If you're the paranoid that if u hear the slightest noise or feel the slightest vibration or hesitation then this is for you. If you don't really care or pay attention to these stuff then you won't need it probably lol

07ChevyTruck

Dec 5, 2011
Sparky said:
I keep looking at these thinking to myself, "Is it really worth 40 bucks just to make it idle a little smoother?" Like really, is that going to make a bit of difference in the grand scheme of things?

Yes it does make your idle and engine run smoother. In the grand scheme of things if you want get the max proformance our of your spark plugs this is the way to go. :thumbsup:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
lint said:
I would just file a little off the one in the pic on the upper side .If its too tight.

Don't mess with these things, except to handle them.....no cutting or filing.

Wooluf1952 said:
Also, if you do file them down, wear a respirator or mask.

I wouldn't even use a mask, respirator only. There's a post over on 355 about it's dangers, this stuff is mean if inhaled. My uncle handles this stuff and has mentioned the same dangers.

To all that are changing theirs out, why not use the stock springs on the fresh plugs but just attach the coil or just snug the coil bolts then switch the springs and compare? This way you don't have to re-torque the packs.

Safe to assume some improved idle qualities are from fresh plugs.

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
Nobody really has used these long enough to show that they dont cause possible coil failure. Just a suggestion, But I would get these, But I want to make sure It wont turn $40 into a possible double or triple that. I saw that question in another forum. Also, Maybe they put a spring in there for a reason? What do you think?

khill

Jan 7, 2012
If you ask me I think the spring is a cheap way to be cheap. Spring costs less in raw materials to mass produce, has about half the physical mass of a solid tube like the supersparks. Only downside I can see from supersparks in the long run is, if there is any movement of the tube, it could theoretically wear down the coil connector or the tube itself creating a loose connection, whichever metal is less dense. The spring wouldn't have that issue.

I've been using them for months now and haven't had a problem yet. Can't say I've seen an improvement in anything though.

(and yes, I still have my original springs)

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
khill said:
If you ask me I think the spring is a cheap way to be cheap. Spring costs less in raw materials to mass produce, has about half the physical mass of a solid tube like the supersparks. Only downside I can see from supersparks in the long run is, if there is any movement of the tube, it could theoretically wear down the coil connector or the tube itself creating a loose connection, whichever metal is less dense. The spring wouldn't have that issue.

I've been using them for months now and haven't had a problem yet. Can't say I've seen an improvement in anything though.

(and yes, I still have my original springs)

I just don't see it being worth the smoother idle, over a possible issue it could create. But that goes along with modding I guess... Not trying to say it's wrong, I love molding and considered these! Lol

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
I don't know. Mine are not installed. I think I'm better off that way.

When my kit came in with different lengths, I said 'fuck this homebrew shit, the guy couldn't even bother to use a measuring tool?'

:hissyfit: No I'm not bitter, just annoyed. But what did I expect eh?
Wanna buy a set? Cheap? :wink:

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
06Envoy said:
I don't know. Mine are not installed. I think I'm better off that way.

When my kit came in with different lengths, I said 'fuck this homebrew shit, the guy couldn't even bother to use a measuring tool?'

:hissyfit: No I'm not bitter, just annoyed. But what did I expect eh?
Wanna buy a set? Cheap? :wink:

Lmfao. That's some funny shit. I mean I am not trying to bash them. But come on, a couple people got these and changed there plugs and the plugs changed the feel. Bottom line is I think its Snake oil. But I haven't tried them.
06envoy, you should try them, write review. You bought them it's not going to hurt to pop them in for a day and remove them the next day...:poke::poke::poke: Lmao

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
Naw....I'm good thanks.
BUT...
I think I should ship them to you! Let you try them out!

No charge! But here's the catch...
If they work ok for you and you like them, then post up here and you have to eat crow. :eek:
If you don't like them and you think they are still snake oil, then post that up too!

I'm serious! I'm never going to install mine. :yes:

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
06Envoy said:
Naw....I'm good thanks.
BUT...
I think I should ship them to you! Let you try them out!

No charge! But here's the catch...
If they work ok for you and you like them, then post up here and you have to eat crow. :eek:
If you don't like them and you think they are still snake oil, then post that up too!

I'm serious! I'm never going to install mine. :yes:

I may take you up on that! So you want me to try them and give them a review? If I was wrong than I have to eat "crow" lmao. You really want to do this?

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
03envoy said:
I may take you up on that! So you want me to try them and give them a review? If I was wrong than I have to eat "crow" lmao. You really want to do this?

Yup.
Just be honest with your opinion!
Might as well do someone else some good. (or bad)

PM me an address and I'll ship em out on Tuesday.
EDIT: (No PO Box's though)

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
06Envoy said:
Yup.
Just be honest with your opinion!
Might as well do someone else some good. (or bad)

PM me an address and I'll ship em out on Tuesday.
EDIT: (No PO Box's though)

Sounds like a deal. Happy Easter!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
A better conduction path from coil to plug is not going to cause the coil to burn out.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Sparky said:
A better conduction path from coil to plug is not going to cause the coil to burn out.
I love hearing answers from folks who get asked: "Why are you safer in a car instead of under a tree if it gets hit by lightning?" One popular answer is the insulation capacity of the TIRES protects you from shock. Hehe. That lightning bolt just jumped THOUSANDS OF FEET from the charged-up cloud way in the sky, and people honestly think that 4" of carbon impregnated wet rubber is going to be noticed by the energy. :rotfl:

As you say - same thing about spark coil energy. It has to build up to thousands of volts to jump the gap of the spark plug. The milliohm difference of the connection to the plug is of no consequence. (Actually, the coil might be designed to depend on a certain number of nanoHenries of inductance in the spring that it won't see in the copper pipe, but I'm positive it isn't a concern in this case.)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online