stuck spark plugs

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
This is the one I use. It's called a swivel ratchet though. I've never heard of a spark plug ratchet before, but it looks like the same kinda thing. Mine is also old as hell, good ole craftsman :yes:

I thinks it is 14" long.

shc-944815_is_ml.jpg

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
BlazingTrails said:
This is the one I use. It's called a swivel ratchet though. I've never heard of a spark plug ratchet before, but it looks like the same kinda thing. Mine is also old as hell, good ole craftsman :yes:

I thinks it is 14" long.

shc-944815_is_ml.jpg
The spark plug designation means it has the bent handle like these:
Matco
Gearwrench
I like the bent handle, makes it feel better, to me anyway. I was going to replace his with with that particular one, but I found the rebuild kit. :yes:

Reactions: BlazingTrails

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Eric04 said:
I've only ever broken one plug and it's not something fun to deal with. I have to assume the plugs in mine are the original set due to the mileage but if that's the case I feel as though I should change them soon because they've been in there for ten years. And yes, I'll be doing it cautiously when I do. Lol
If the part code on the porcelain was I believe "41-981" instead of "41-103," DEFINITELY originals. Also, I'm pretty sure you've already come across this info, but the 41-103 has superseded that other code for use in these engines.

marinegrunt

Oct 13, 2012
I have a snap on and craftsman with the hinged head but they aren't nearly as long and don't have the curved handle. They're probably 12". I also have a cheap one that swivels instead of the hinged but for some reason it pinches the crap out of you. This may sound perverted but I really like the length of yours and also the way it curves. :eek: Man, if my wife reads this she won't let me back on the net and might even divorce me.

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
IllogicTC said:
If the part code on the porcelain was I believe "41-981" instead of "41-103," DEFINITELY originals. Also, I'm pretty sure you've already come across this info, but the 41-103 has superseded that other code for use in these engines.
Thanks man. [emoji106] I do recall reading up on the plug switch but the details weren't fresh in my addled head. Between the holidays and the lack of a heated garage I haven't pulled a plug in the truck yet but it's good to have a way to know how long they've been there. It's running fine, I've been told to just leave them until 100k, but I'll be switching them out before too long.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
marinegrunt said:
I have a snap on and craftsman with the hinged head but they aren't nearly as long and don't have the curved handle. They're probably 12". I also have a cheap one that swivels instead of the hinged but for some reason it pinches the crap out of you. This may sound perverted but I really like the length of yours and also the way it curves. :eek: Man, if my wife reads this she won't let me back on the net and might even divorce me.
:hahano: Same, it's about 12 end to end. great ratchet though.

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Three come out easily,the other three do not budge at all. Soaked them twice overnight in blaster and once is carb cleaner, though I don't think there's any way for it to get to the threads. Had to drive it today, might take another run at them in a few hours.

Mounce said:
Got them out yet, sunliner?

Reactions: littleblazer

marinegrunt

Oct 13, 2012
As Sparky mentioned, maybe after driving it, the engine will go through a few heat and cool cycles and allow the blaster to work its way down in. I do as he mentioned and spray them each day before you hit the road. Since it's still drivable it's worth a shot trying for a week before taking it in. Hopefully that'll end up working.

mubai

Jan 5, 2012
3 is good work. Take it to the shop and have them replace the other 3 (you can gap the new plugs and give it to them). It's not expensive and will ensure "YOU" won't be rethreading anything.

And for all of this effort you get to keep your man card.

Good luck!

Reactions: sunliner

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
mubai said:
3 is good work. Take it to the shop and have them replace the other 3 (you can gap the new plugs and give it to them). It's not expensive and will ensure "YOU" won't be rethreading anything.

And for all of this effort you get to keep your man card.

Good luck!
ACDelco 41-103's are NOT to be gapped. They come pre-gapped with protective sleeves on them to prevent them from being knocked out of spec. Use of a gapping tool can damage the iridium electrode.

mubai

Jan 5, 2012
Mine were not gapped to specs out of the box, so gapping was required/desired. I put over a 100k miles and no issues.

I think the gap needs to be checked and "carefully" adjusted if required. Irdium is harder than platinum, but more brittle.

Mounce said:
ACDelco 41-103's are NOT to be gapped. They come pre-gapped with protective sleeves on them to prevent them from being knocked out of spec. Use of a gapping tool can damage the iridium electrode.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
mubai said:
Mine were not gapped to specs out of the box, so gapping was required/desired. I put over a 100k miles and no issues.

I think the gap needs to be checked and "carefully" adjusted if required. Irdium is harder than platinum, but more brittle.
I checked my gap carefully with a slightly smaller than spec feeler gauge, and there was a little room for wiggle so I didn't bother gapping since I felt that that was close enough. I checked them before I left the store, one was missing the sleeve so I had them swap it out. They did it willingly, that is one of the few parts I'll buy at a parts store and batteries too. Otherwise it all comes from amazon prime or rock auto. [emoji106] But it isn't a bad idea to CAREFULLY check the gap out of the box.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
If you must gap the plug, use a pair of pliers to adjust the ground electrode, being very careful not to touch the iridium tip.

Reactions: littleblazer

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Saga over...paid the man $150.00. Irritating but I'm not the first (nor the last) in this predicament. And, it's over so I can go back to chasing the check engine light again.
Thanks to all for the advice.
On the plus side of things...bought my wife a shiny new Toyota Sienna. Last one made it 11 years and 160k miles with only two repairs totalling ~$300.00. If tradition holds, I'll be keeping my tool chest on the Chevy side of the garage in 2015.

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
mubai said:
$150 for the three spark plugs? What did he say about getting them out?
that was for all six (yeah another 5 minutes maybe?) I asked if anything stripped and they said no. Didn't get into how hard it was. I don't have the invoice in front of me but I think it said that start time was 0830 and stop was 11:05 or so.

mubai

Jan 5, 2012
$150 for all 6 is not bad. Not sure why it took him 2.5 hours. I know MAY03LT has done them in 30 minutes, start to finish. I finished mine in less than 60 minutes.

Overall, $150 is well worth it for changing the spark plugs and avoidance of potential grief from damaging anything.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
mubai said:
$150 for all 6 is not bad. Not sure why it took him 2.5 hours. I know MAY03LT has done them in 30 minutes, start to finish. I finished mine in less than 60 minutes.

Overall, $150 is well worth it for changing the spark plugs and avoidance of potential grief from damaging anything.
Maybe cool off time from when it got there?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
mubai said:
If they charged labor rates for the truck to just sit there, I would need some cool off time. :explode:
Agreed. Hopefully all six were replaced as well, it wouldn't be the first time I've heard of a shop doing a job halfway... not meaning to talk his guy down or anything, it's just it has happened to people I know.

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Agreed. Hopefully all six were replaced as well, it wouldn't be the first time I've heard of a shop doing a job halfway... not meaning to talk his guy down or anything, it's just it has happened to people I know.
I get what you're saying...anything's possible and I'll probably pull one or two of them this weekend just to look. that said, I've been going to this same shop for about 15 years and other than one disagreement we had over how to approach something, they've always done me right.

I watched his video prior to attempting the change the plugs. I'd have been pretty damn close to 30 minutes myself if half of them weren't stuck. Even that #6 wasn't as hard to get as I would have thought. I'm glad that wasn't one of the stuck ones. MAY's videos are always worth watching; I like the witty commentary as much as anything :yes: .

mubai

Jan 5, 2012
Agreed. His videos are great. My truck was the star in one of his videos.
sunliner said:
I watched his video prior to attempting the change the plugs. I'd have been pretty damn close to 30 minutes myself if half of them weren't stuck. Even that #6 wasn't as hard to get as I would have thought. I'm glad that wasn't one of the stuck ones. MAY's videos are always worth watching; I like the witty commentary as much as anything :yes: .

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
2.5 hours is a little ridiculous.

BUT, at least you've got it done and can move onto something else. :yes:

-then again, I guess the i6 would be pretty confusing to someone if they've never touched one before.

Reactions: Eric04

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Mounce said:
2.5 hours is a little ridiculous.

BUT, at least you've got it done and can move onto something else. :yes:

-then again, I guess the i6 would be pretty confusing to someone if they've never touched one before.
But you don't get to make all those fun contortions that you normally would with the V-8. I think the i6 is pretty easy for the average mechanic.

Edit: As in ease of changing basic tune up points. Some things on these would baffle even the most competent of mechanics. It's all right on top you know?

Reactions: Eric04

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
True that, Mounce, it is a different animal. So much so that I was searching for one with a 5.3 rather than go at something with a learning curve attached. Then I figured if you aren't learning you aren't living.
Oh, and it's a darn good thing places like this exist to get noobs up to speed.

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
dmanns67 said:
$150 is ridiculous considering you can get the plugs for $48 and install less than 30 minutes for FREE :yes:
that's what I was hoping for, but the truck didn't cooperate

bspurloc

Dec 27, 2012
Einst-Hawk said:
Do you have a cheater bar to put on the end of your ratchet to get more torque? I haven't heard of a case of stripping threads on the head (although I haven't worked on every car in existence) Breaking the plug is far more likely.

When you replace them, make sure you torque to only 156in/lbs. You would be surprised how little force that that is.
Then you have never heard of the Ford 4.6l engine... some years aka 2003 there are only 4 threads for the spark plug...
It is really fun flying down the highway then you hear BAM and then you are running on 7 cylinders with a plug slapping at the ignition coil.
You have to be very delicate with the ford 4.6, only do the plugs when the engine is cold, DONT EVER use anti seize on the ford 4.6l cuz u will over tighten the plugs and the plug will blow out at the most perfect of times!

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
I wouldn't use the words 'Easy" and "General Motors" in the same sentence. Took me years to finally figure that out.
Next ride will be whatever Toyota product I can afford at the time. I'm getting old...I need a car that I can spend more time driving than fixing.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
sunliner said:
I wouldn't use the words 'Easy" and "General Motors" in the same sentence. Took me years to finally figure that out.
Next ride will be whatever Toyota product I can afford at the time. I'm getting old...I need a car that I can spend more time driving than fixing.
Yea, it seems some people have good luck and others not so much. Toyota is great, I like old GM, not the new crap but the trailblazer kinda falls in the middle, the I6 is easy to work on, a heck of a lot better then most new vehicles, but I may go Toyota in the future, unless a diesel trailblazer emerges. :biggrin:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
sunliner said:
Meh, my Dad's 09 Camry is being a bit of a pain. Ongoing suspension problems that is just chewing up his tires.

I can easily say I've spent far more time driving my GMs than fixing them. And I hate Toyota's seats...

swede

Jun 22, 2014
Wtf :O did the gmtn turn in to a Toyota forum?
Just kidding guys :tongue:

Reactions: sunliner

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
sunliner said:
We have it all wrong, youtube tells us that this stuff is fast and easy!

I just did my 5.3 Tahoe (OEM plugs/110K) and that thing fought me like no other. An hour and 20 minutes for 8 plugs. :crazy:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I swear the guys who designed the 4th gen fbody never even took spark plug changes into consideration when they designed that car.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online