Stretching Noise while applying Brakes?

misterhyde

Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
TB is a 2005 LT 4x4 with 125k miles. Noticed a creeking noise as if something is stretching while I press on the brake pedal. Seems to start when you get some pressure back from the pedal. I don't think the brake lines have ever been bled (owned it since 60k miles) so I was thinking of doing that soon. Anything else I should look at that could be causing the creeking sound?

Or is it simply time to tear the front breaks apart and clean/derust/lube them up?

Trios

Mar 27, 2014
misterhyde said:
TB is a 2005 LT 4x4 with 125k miles. Noticed a creeking noise as if something is stretching while I press on the brake pedal. Seems to start when you get some pressure back from the pedal. I don't think the brake lines have ever been bled (owned it since 60k miles) so I was thinking of doing that soon. Anything else I should look at that could be causing the creeking sound?

Or is it simply time to tear the front breaks apart and clean/derust/lube them up?
I don't know of anything specifically that can cause a creaking noise, but you're on the right track. Things to check would be brake fluid level (shouldn't ever need to be added; if it does, you need to find and fix the leak, then flush the system). Then check the brakes for a dragging/sticking caliper, though that shouldn't make that noise either. After that many miles, a brake fluid flush (bleeding enough from each corner that you're certain you got all the original fluid out) would be a good plan anyways.

Honestly I'm a little worried that it's something in the master cylinder, but I hope i'm wrong on that. It could just be as simple as the hinge on the brake pedal assembly needs a bit of grease, I would recommend white lithium grease for that.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Check for loose caliper bolts as well.

Also, since I ask all new members with 4WD - have you been changing transfer case fluid religiously every 50K? VITALLY important.

And all the other 100K service done - differentials, transmission, coolant and PS fluid? Spark plugs?

You'll enjoy a MUCH longer and more satisfying relationwhip with your valuable baby if you do regular maintenance.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Mine went away with a brake pad change (this included pads, rotors, and the clips that came with the AC Delco pads), and applying the grease as instructed on the box. This was done to the front brakes.

Someone said it's the piston at some point, others say it's just a lack of lubrication.

Decembersend

Dec 3, 2011
I literally just had a prob with creaking brakes, it happened whether the truck was running or not. So I did a little research on here and found the key problem to be the caliper. I replaced the caliper and its been fine.

One of the reason that lead me to change the calipers was the fact I just changed the pads and rotors three weeks prior.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Decembersend said:
I literally just had a prob with creaking brakes, it happened whether the truck was running or not. So I did a little research on here and found the key problem to be the caliper. I replaced the caliper and its been fine.

One of the reason that lead me to change the calipers was the fact I just changed the pads and rotors three weeks prior.
I believe the explanation was that the caliper is worn, and when you replace the pads and stuff since you press the pistons back into the assembly it "temporarily" relieves the noise, but as they come further back out over time it happens all over again.

misterhyde

Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
When I had the truck in the tire shop shortly after this post (to finish bleeding the lines from my fluid change and finding a leaking hose in the rear), they informed me that the front calipers were flexing when pressing the brake all the way, thus the creaking.

I have a new set of calipers waiting to be put on.

misterhyde

Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
misterhyde said:
When I had the truck in the tire shop shortly after this post (to finish bleeding the lines from my fluid change and finding a leaking hose in the rear), they informed me that the front calipers were flexing when pressing the brake all the way, thus the creaking.

I have a new set of calipers waiting to be put on.
Fixed by replacing Calipers. Now silent brakes!

Reactions: jpimp

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online