Stereo trouble

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
Alansd said:
??
Both the new GM connector and the one from the stereo have red and Yellow labeled power wires one switched one not. Don't I connect these to each other? Then what do I run to the pink power wire from the truck? Confused on those. All else matches up and are soldered. Gotta get some heat shrink later today

Wtf? How did that one have the red wire hooked up to the harness you bought? That is new to me. Unless they discovered a way to tap into a wire in the harness that will turn on the radio with the ignition then the red wire is not to be used in the aftermarket harness you purchased as there is NO switchable power in that harness.

In regards to you linking the red and yellow wires, do NOT do that. If you do your radio will be on all the time and will drain your battery. The yellow wire must be hooked up and can go to the harness in your dash. The red wire, I would say send me a quick picture of it if you can please. I want to see what they hooked it up to. When I bought my harness it had all but one wire bundled into the harness connector and that one solo wire was the red one that turns the radio on and off with your ignition. The red wire also had a little like "leg" that you use to sneak over a leg of a fuse which turns on and off with your key. Those are a PITA to get over a leg of a fuse but I used it with how limited the room is that we have in our fuse boxes with their secondary covers.

also, the red wire coming off your headunit is the switched +12v lead, or ACC wire. The red wire only gets +12v when you turn your key to ACC or ON, if your key is turned to OFF the red wire should have 0v. The yellow wire is your +12v hot wire that must have +12v at all times.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
kickass audio said:
Wtf? How did that one have the red wire hooked up to the harness you bought? That is new to me. Unless they discovered a way to tap into a wire in the harness that will turn on the radio with the ignition then the red wire is not to be used in the aftermarket harness you purchased as there is NO switchable power in that harness.

I installed one of the bose/os adapters and it had a red wire. The corresponding pin at the trucks connector was an empty cavity. Maybe there is a GM platform out there that does it the way it should be!

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
Hey May03 haven't seen you on here in awhile. Still love watching your videos on youtube. Hope all is well with you, your wife and your son. :thumbsup:

OP: Here is the schematic for your radio. Note that the colors in here are what they correspond to in the harness that sits in your dash not the one you purchased.

View attachment 33172

Attachments

• radio harness.jpg
    radio harness.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 7

Alansd

Original poster
Feb 12, 2014
here you go..so I am gonna hookup the yellow fused wire to the pink behind the blank 4wd cover..the red goes nowhere...
thanks again for all the help!!

Attachments

• DSC_0267.jpg
    DSC_0267.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0266.jpg
    DSC_0266.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 2

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
You want the yellow from the radios connector to be hooked up to the yellow on that harness that you're holding.
You want the red from the radios connector to be tied into the 4wd switch.
The only wire that won't be used is the red wire in the harness that you're holding.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
Exactly what he said. Just make sure that the red wire in the harness you are holding in the pic doesn't go anywhere in the dash. If it does, grab a DMM and just for the hell of it, see if it connects to a 12v switchable source when you turn your key. It shouldn't but hey it doesn't hurt to check.

The only wire that will not go to the harness you are holding is the red wire. As Andrew said, it goes to your 4x4 switch where you need to find the switchable +12v wire that turns on with the key in the acc/run positions and turns off when your key is off.

The red wire coming off your harness you are holding can just be looped and heat shrunk to itself so it can't conduct but it more than likely is just a blank port on the OEM harness that is tied into your dash. If you are in doubt just loop it around and shrink wrap it to itself so the wire can't conduct on anything in there like that great grounding spot where the frame support is for the firewall.

The orange/white wire coming off the harness you are holding more than likely will not be paired to another orange/white wire that comes off your headunit. If this is the case then just loop that wire around itself and shrink wrap it so it can't conduct onto anything.

Alansd

Original poster
Feb 12, 2014
got it, thanks again. Now when the connector for the antenna gets here I can get this thing done.

Alansd

Original poster
Feb 12, 2014
The antenna connector got here today...boy am I am dumba**..I ordered the wrong one. This one has the small male connector and the larger female. Seems to be not what I should have gotten :hissyfit:

this is what I needed..at least they are cheap

Attachments

• $T2eC16VHJHYE9nzpeDMhBQhSDs5tkQ~~60_3.JPG
    $T2eC16VHJHYE9nzpeDMhBQhSDs5tkQ~~60_3.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 38

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Alansd said:
The antenna connector got here today...boy am I am dumba**..I ordered the wrong one. This one has the small male connector and the larger female. Seems to be not what I should have gotten :hissyfit:

this is what I needed..at least they are cheap

It happens. Heck I didn't even know they made them reversed like that.

BTW, you can say ass here. We're not sticklers like they are on the other site.:cool:

Alansd

Original poster
Feb 12, 2014
yeh I looked at it, then I looked at the new head and thought oh shit. Small male thingie---- it figures.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Alansd said:
Small male thingie---- it figures.

Yeah, that's what she said, too :no: :rotfl:

The seller have a good policy on returns since you accidentally got the wrong thing?

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
that looks to be right actually. The larger one goes to your aftermarket radio and the small one goes to your antenna in the dash. To me it seems like you have the right adapter. The antenna in our dash is very skinny and the aftermarket ones are fat, like if you tried to fit the OEM antenna in the aftermarket radio's antenna adapter it would slosh around in there.

Alansd

Original poster
Feb 12, 2014
kickass audio said:
that looks to be right actually. The larger one goes to your aftermarket radio and the small one goes to your antenna in the dash. To me it seems like you have the right adapter. The antenna in our dash is very skinny and the aftermarket ones are fat, like if you tried to fit the OEM antenna in the aftermarket radio's antenna adapter it would slosh around in there.

the one in the photo is what I didn't get...mine is small on the male end and has a larger female end.
its this one:

Attachments

• $(KGrHqFHJEQF!d5HtvL-BQYhJOK8pg~~60_3.JPG
    $(KGrHqFHJEQF!d5HtvL-BQYhJOK8pg~~60_3.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 1

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
Yeah you got the wrong one for sure man. lol. Oh well shit happens. Maybe they will be cool enough and you can return it but they prob will make you eat the cost of shipping it back.

Alansd

Original poster
Feb 12, 2014
it was only 4 or 5 bucks with free shipping. Between buying that and the door remotes I really screwed up. Luckily neither one cost much.

Have you seen the video on YOUTUBE about changing the stereo out? Wondering how accurate he is about pulling the dash parts.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
I'm not sure what video you are looking at, there are a few but the quality blows. 06 Trailblazer Factory Stereo Removal - YouTube

Here is the guide from metra on the OS about it: Dash Faceplate Removal Diagrams - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Depending on the manufacturer of your radio DIN adapter you bought it usually comes with these instructions. Also you need to disconnect the harnesses that go to the headlight switch, 4x4 spot (idr if you have a connection on yours being a blank and all, i think it sits behind it to keep it tucked into something so its not flopping around the dash) and the cigarette plugs and stuff like that.

Strong recommendations:

Do not follow the instructions by disconnecting the battery. Just be careful when in there to not short anything out. It is pretty hard to do that unless you have wide open wires that can short together like a fool. lol.

Do not turn your steering wheel like in the picture, that is just a dumb illustration. Keep your wheel centered with your parking brake engaged (as long as it works good, if not then chock your wheels to prevent it from rolling) and then tilt your wheel down all the way when you get ready to remove the panel after you remove the screws in the picture. You may notice that the panel can come into contact with your shift knob, if this happens make sure your parking brake is engaged and shift the truck into "1" and pull the panel out. Disconnect the harnesses from the panel and once its removed put it back into park and turn the truck off completely and remove your key from the ignition.

Alansd

Original poster
Feb 12, 2014
sounds good, advice is welcomed.

Wires are ready to go in, just need the f**in antenna adapter. Going on a trip in two weeks, need my tunes!

Alansd

Original poster
Feb 12, 2014
the right antenna adapter came today. So I went ahead and installed the new radio. Works great. Sounds great. It pretty much slid in the spot nicely and the dash is holding it in there solid. There is a small space on the drivers side I am not thrilled with, but all in all it looks ok. Glad to have a cd player that will play my cd's now.

Thanks all for the help and ideas.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Alansd said:
the right antenna adapter came today. So I went ahead and installed the new radio. Works great. Sounds great. It pretty much slid in the spot nicely and the dash is holding it in there solid. There is a small space on the drivers side I am not thrilled with, but all in all it looks ok. Glad to have a cd player that will play my cd's now.

Thanks all for the help and ideas.

And a big thanks to kick for rolling through the audio section and helping out people like this :thumbsup:

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
You're welcome guys. I love my car audio as much as I love my envoy. lol. And you gotta say my full name not just kick :raspberry:

With that gap is it just like between the right side of the radio and the bezel in your dash? What I found is on my old car and my envoy that I had to use some washers on one side to try and equal it out. I just put some washers between the radio's aftermarket plate and the dashboard on the side that was behind a little and used that to play with and get it centered.

Alansd

Original poster
Feb 12, 2014
I think I should have bought and may still get- the Metra dash install kit. It has the bezel that goes around the radio and screws in. Really it doesn't look too bad right now, but could be better.
My special thanks to you too. I would never have known about the pink wire deal without this forum. That made things easy..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chadla11

Members Online