Steering Racks across models

griffincox

Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Hello,

I have come across an interesting conundrum.

Right now I have a '07 TB LS (4.2i), '07 Saab 9-7x (4.2i), and '08 TBSS. All three of these vehicles have a different ratio steering rack; 20.1:1, 18.5:1 and 16.0:1.

I am wanting to get a reman rack for the Saab as its leaking bad and worn out. When shopping for racks for these vehicles it seem like no one (AC Delco, Advance Auto, AutoZone, Amazon, etc) recognizes the variety of racks. They treat every vehicle the same and show the same part number for the three above vehicles.

I understand that they all swap and I could technically install whichever I'd like, but I also believe that a change in ratio would affect the stability control system, as for a given steering wheel position, the front tires would be at different angles based on rack ratio.

Anyway, long story short, does anyone have part numbers for the three racks or a way to choose the correct ratio. I feel like I am taking crazy pills. Even GM diagrams don't clarify this issue.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Good question, I'm looking to change mine out soon as well and knowing if I should opt for the Saab over the OE in the Envoy would be good info.

This topic has been discussed before but I didn't know some of the parts stores used the same numbers. Interested in the results.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe the only way to keep your current ratio is to have your rack rebuilt by a local rebuilder.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
There seems to be a pn for a sport performance package on a trailblazer... 19330461 whole rack.

jsinga

Jan 5, 2014
GA
just rebuild the one you have. Then you know you have new inner tie rods. Sometimes they dont change both of them.
get the Edleman kit form RockAuto. They make all the kits and everyone else just relabels their box. Pick what ever tierod you want.

JS

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online