Steering Noise

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
So I've got a funny thud. Only happens on hard right (occasionally left) turns. It's only happened to me two or three times. It's a definite think. Almost like the noise a driveshaft makes when you shift into reverse on a hill. Also, I should add, the wheel sometimds (not all) shakes at speeds and the truck is completely uncontrollable above 75mph. It's leading me to think my rack is junk. I know the bushings are bad because I can feel them making a small bit of noise if I sit and turn the wheel idling.

What do y'all think? Rack bushings? Bad tie rods? I know the driver's side was done over the summer but the passenger side was fine. Maybe a hub assembly? Although it's not whining at me, and they were done at 90k miles in 2014.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'd say tie rods (inner and/or outer). Rack failure is usually fluid leakage. If hubs had failed to make a thudding noise, it wouldn't be drivable.

Time to jack 'er up and check the front suspension and steering.

Reactions: Redbeard

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Well, the driver's side CV shaft had spit grease everywhere. Replaced it and the noise is still there so I'll assume it likely isn't that. There's not really any play in the steering either. But the tie rods could be bad. Guess I'll have to get them.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Always start with the easiest, cheapest or likeliest fixes first. In this case, outer tie rod ends hit all three. You can diagnose a bad outer tie rod very easily. With the truck off, put your hand on the outer end of the tie rod while someone turns the wheel slightly. If there is ANY play between the joint and the tie rod, it should be replaced. I am willing to bet you will be able to turn your steering wheel quite a bit back and forth without it moving the wheel.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
It was my first guess too, and there's almost no play in the tie rod ends at all. The driver's side is tight, and the passenger side is a bit loose but still tight. I'm going to order some anyways for the hell of it.

My new rear shocks came today, I installed them and drove 200 miles into the Berkshires with no problems whatsoever. In fact, the steering noise seems gone too, even on the highway it's subsided a bit.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Well, if rear shocks are gone, fronts probably are too. I would suggest a clunk might also be front shocks or upper shock mounts. You can replace the front shocks quite easy. Not as simple as the rears of course. It will take a GOOD spring compressor. Others take their new shocks to a shop and have them swap the springs. I personally used Monroe quickstruts that replace shocks, springs and upper mounts all in one unit. The shocks are definitely not as stiff as Bilsteins, but after two weeks of break-in, I love the ride. (I used Monroe Reflex on the rear.) The fronts were Rancho RSX (same as Monroe Reflex) and I noticed as they got older, that the ride became harsher.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
That's my plan for the week, I've got a lot going on at the moment so it'll be an afternoon project. My alternator is getting weak too, kind of thinking it's time to replace that as well. I got new sway bar bushings last week and the idiot at O'Retards gave me the one for a Trailblazer "because it's the same thing", it took a printout from a Chevy dealer to prove that they were wrong.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Update. I put a new axle in the driver's side two weeks ago, drove around a few days and the noise seemed to have subsided. Well, today I took another 2 hour trip into the Berkshires and while doing 85 on the interstate, I begun to hear a very tinny little rattle which would come and go. Until I got into my own town, it was fine. The noise seems worse when I'm on the brakes, or turning at low speed. It's almost like the clicking of a failed axle. The other side was fine a week ago. Could the new one have thrown it off?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Tinny noise I usually suspect the brake dust shields.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
I know the two in the rear are gone. Are there brake shields in the front? I'm going to put it up on the lift tomorrow an rip the front end apart to find out what's causing this. I'm getting really sick of this truck I'll tell you what.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Front dustshields are behind the wheel hubs if you have them. Otherwise they're gone.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
I don't recall them being there but my memory isn't great. I'm lucky I know my plate number off the top of my head.

Update. Just went up the street for a cocoa (I'm cold and tired don't ask). It's chattering (it's almost like a piece of aluminum foil in a bike spoke) away at the front. It does get a little faster and louder with throttle but honestly sounds more like it's coming from the tranny or transfer case than the brake/hub area. Doesn't mean it isn't. But it's loud and people did stare.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online