Steering column Assembly help please

cntinuum

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
My turn signal switch on right turn indication wouldn't move into the "click" position. I pulled off the top "can" and I don't see how to get the dimmer rod and steering column lock back into the "can". Haven't found any diagram(s) to help and haven't found any links when I search.
1992 GMC C2500
Thanks,
-Dave

cntinuum

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Looked at my repair manual again and it has nothing about top of steering column.
Determined to solve this, I went after it again today. The dimmer switch rod goes up thru what looks like a nut with the center drilled out of it. Now I am stumped with how to engage the gear in the "can" into the "rack" that operates the real ignition switch. Way more than I bargained for. In the first picture you can see the rod about the 7 o'clock position and the silver thingy top center is the "rack" for the ignition. In the second picture is the "gear/pinion" at the 5 o'clock position. How these get timed is something I have to figure out.
-Dave

Attachments

• IMG_8764.JPG
    IMG_8764.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8765.JPG
    IMG_8765.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 38

cntinuum

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Truly amazing that there is so little help in this section and such a world of information available in the Trailblazer/Envoy section.

Well, I figured it out. I ended up removing the ignition and dimmer switch off the steering column so I could see more of how to engage the "rack and pinion" of the ignition key tumbler. The "pinion" gear that the ignition cylinder engages, has a block that goes in the position below the teeth in the "rack" that is connected to the rod that operates the ignition switch. Took about 4 hours to get everything put back together. Never did find anything to be an aid.
Cheers,
-Dave

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
cntinuum said:
Truly amazing that there is so little help in this section and such a world of information available in the Trailblazer/Envoy section.
When we ran a jailbreak from the new owners of trailvoy.com in 2011 and started this place, we assumed people were not going to stay GMT360 owners forever and other GM platforms might be in our futures. So we started these sections, for us, and also to try to attract other enthusiast communities who needed a lifeboat to escape their forums if and when they were taken over by the evil Vertical Scope.

So far the owners of those other vehicles must be happy with their forums, or don't need an alternative hangout. So we're not the go-to forums that we hoped. That's the history.

cntinuum

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
When we ran a jailbreak from the new owners of trailvoy.com in 2011 and started this place, we assumed people were not going to stay GMT360 owners forever and other GM platforms might be in our futures. So we started these sections, for us, and also to try to attract other enthusiast communities who needed a lifeboat to escape their forums if and when they were taken over by the evil Vertical Scope.

So far the owners of those other vehicles must be happy with their forums, or don't need an alternative hangout. So we're not the go-to forums that we hoped. That's the history.
To be fair, I posted on 2 other forums and got from 60-100 reviews/lookers and NO response from anyone.
I was aware of the escape, I got an invite to join you. I was an owner of a 2002 TB and enjoyed the wealth of information.
Since I personally hate reading a thread with a problem and no solution, I posted what I did for the next poor sucker who might run into this issue.

It truly is amazing how many threads get started and no one responses to them. It truly makes me appreciative of FEOA.net, SCCOA.com, TCCA.com, svoca.com, and of course the Trailvoy part of this forum, where people actually want to help.

Hopefully "we" can build the support for other GM platforms here.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.