Stabilitrak/ Brake System/ Warning Lights and DIC--No Codes

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
So I have been working on an 07 4.2L 4x4 Trailblazer.

It has DIC which my 06 does not and it is pissing me off because the warning it puts forth makes you question if the truck is about to blow up or what since it dings and flashes messages. Bothers me, because it drives perfect. No noises, no braking issues, no weird tendencies. Just has a dashboard lit up like a christmas tree.

Some background...

No TPMS sensors in truck and light is on for that. Debating if getting some is worth, but don't think it should cause all the other lights.

Truck has had rearend and front hubs replaced. Since this issue has always been there, I started with removing and cleaning/checking sensors. Rear were nasty coated, but cleaned them and unhooked battery for a bit. Lights were off for 10 minutes then it went spastic again.

Unhooked battery several times without any help.

Scanguage shows no pending or active codes.

Brakes all look good and feel good. Newer D/S brakemotive setup with ceramic pads.

115K on truck.

Finicky splined disco, but should not cause these lights. Will be pulling apart and greasing since it is a newer replacement unit.

DIC dings and flashes SERVICE BRAKE SYSTEM and something about Stabiltrak as well at every start up. Dash lights for both are lit.

When I had a log take out my front bearing sensor wire I got the same lights on my 06, but it does not have DIC so not sure if would have displayed same messages. However i replaced one of the hubs and tried swapping side to side to with no changes.

I do not care if the ABS/Stabilitrak/TPMS works, but really need the light to go off and the messages not to go nuts every startup so the female driver does not freak out.

Any ideas to try?

Can I remove fuse for ABS/Stabilitrak and just go without them?

Does the TPMS tie into these system and I need them?

Fairly frustrated, so any experienced advice is sought. Truck may get sold if can't be fixed, but know the value will be cut by the warning and lights even though it drives and handles great.

Thanks

jonbo2002

Sep 27, 2012
Kyle, I have been sitting here for about 20 minutes and can't figure this one out. My only guess would be the pressure sensors are needed or maybe one or more of the ABS sensors are bad. It would suck to to spend the money to replace these and not fix the problem, so I hope someone else has had this problem and can give you a better solution.

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
I've heard of people getting four TPMS monitors and installing them into some PVC pipe. Cap both ends of the pipe with a schrader valve on one end. Drill four holes and install the TPMS monitors into the body of the pipe. Use a tire pump to inflate to ~30 PSI. Keep the unit inside the vehicle and it will fool the computer into thinking the TPMS monitor are installed.

Never tried it for myself as all of the vehicles I've owned with TPMS functioned normally and I liked the system.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I have a feeling that you need a more advanced scanner to talk to the ABS system to figure out what its complaint is. Could very well be a rear wheel speed sensor that is the issue, or a wire harness problem somewhere, or whatever, but who really wants to throw money at parts hoping that something will stick :no:

*edit* I saw somewhere on the internet that someone had figured out how to pull ABS info using Torque (I think) but I can't seem to find the info right now. I should have bookmarked it.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
strat81 said:
I've heard of people getting four TPMS monitors and installing them into some PVC pipe. Cap both ends of the pipe with a schrader valve on one end. Drill four holes and install the TPMS monitors into the body of the pipe. Use a tire pump to inflate to ~30 PSI. Keep the unit inside the vehicle and it will fool the computer into thinking the TPMS monitor are installed.

Never tried it for myself as all of the vehicles I've owned with TPMS functioned normally and I liked the system.

So you think the TPMS sensors are causing this? The TPMS light is a non-issue to me and I dislike TPMS systems in general so am hoping that I dont need to spend 100 bucks on sensors and 80 to dismount and remount tires to install them. I will remove the bulb for the light if it is not part of other issues. By the time you buy sensors and build that contraption, you may as well put them in properly anyway.

Sparky said:
I have a feeling that you need a more advanced scanner to talk to the ABS system to figure out what its complaint is. Could very well be a rear wheel speed sensor that is the issue, or a wire harness problem somewhere, or whatever, but who really wants to throw money at parts hoping that something will stick :no:

Not sure who said anything about throwing parts at it...I certainly have not been nor plan to. Sounds like your ideas are solely guesses and do not help me. I would love a more advanced scanner, but don't have access without paying a shop fee so far. May have to pay, but asking for actual help here first seemed like a better idea.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I do not think the tpms is tied in with the brakes at all. I would find out what's tripping the service brake warning. The tpms light will go crazy if there is a sudden drop in pressure. Maybe the stabilitrak is whack and causing a pad to rub and the heat from the little braking increases psi due to heat?

I really beat on my wife's car in winter. Has no tpms sensors and never had a light flash at me yet for any reason. We don't run sensors all winter.

I

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Playsinsnow said:
I do not think the tpms is tied in with the brakes at all. I would find out what's tripping the service brake warning. The tpms light will go crazy if there is a sudden drop in pressure. Maybe the stabilitrak is whack and causing a pad to rub and the heat from the little braking increases psi due to heat?

There are no TPMS sensors currently and that is why the light is on. Not a mystery, but I must not have been clear in that. I don't give a shit about TPMS, but was unclear if it could be tied into the other systems, so included the info on the light.

I forgot to mention that occasionally while driving, the DIC with say STABILITRAK ACTIVE, but otherwise you would not know anything is going on.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Not sure who said anything about throwing parts at it...I certainly have not been nor plan to. Sounds like your ideas are solely guesses and do not help me. I would love a more advanced scanner, but don't have access without paying a shop fee so far. May have to pay, but asking for actual help here first seemed like a better idea.

I know you don't want to, I wouldn't either. Sorry, should have worded it better.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Sparky said:
I know you don't want to, I wouldn't either. Sorry, should have worded it better.

Its cool...get your mind turning though and figure this out:raspberry: Or better yet, buy a scanner and bring it down and fix my crap....:thumbsup::biggrin:

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Quickly browsing through the OS I came across '07 stabilitrak TSB, and two guys who had either a brake control module replaced or a sensor (which one didn't say)... Some disable stabilitrak for the drive or restart it, others just ignored it thinking everything is still in working order.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Playsinsnow said:
Quickly browsing through the OS I came across '07 stabilitrak TSB, and two guys who had either a brake control module replaced or a sensor (which one didn't say)... Some disable stabilitrak for the drive or restart it, others just ignored it thinking everything is still in working order.

Sensor is likely the steering position sensor, but that is long known intermitant issue, not an every start like this. My 06 does it...its worse when it is cold. Got a link you can send me though so i can read up some?

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
So you think the TPMS sensors are causing this? The TPMS light is a non-issue to me and I dislike TPMS systems in general so am hoping that I dont need to spend 100 bucks on sensors and 80 to dismount and remount tires to install them. I will remove the bulb for the light if it is not part of other issues. By the time you buy sensors and build that contraption, you may as well put them in properly anyway.

You will not pay $80 for ~10" of PVC, two end caps, and a schrader valve. Not on Planet Earth, anyway.

But having them properly installed would be worth far more than $80 in terms of resale value, if you plan on selling it.

I do not know the relationship, if any, between TPMS and Stabilitrak. However, a Google search of TPMS Stabilitrak shows that problems with one seem to be accompanied by the other.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I realize the pvc n such would not cost that much and I actually have everything in the garage, but would use them properly if I spent 100 bucks on them.

Thanks for the links.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
So thinking...

Double check brake fluid...got to dream of a simple thing.

Solid possibility of SWPS is dead or a dying Ignition Switch. The radio does not always turn off so that makes me think Ignition possibly. I do have a spare ignition switch I keep in my truck that I can try.

hdodd1

Dec 3, 2011
I had a stabilitrak warning light that kept coming on and it was the break switch. Cheap $30.00 fix. Took forever to find this out..Dealer couldn't find it. The cruse control stop working I finely found the problem. Hope this may help.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Cruise works fine. Was the lights on at every start and staying on.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Don't shoot me for saying this, but I may have the wife take it to a dealer for an "oil change" and have them try to sell her the fix for the light? Then she leaves paying for an oil change, conventional right? Cheapest code reading diagnostic, second set of eyes never hurts. Anything else I wouldn't advise such a thing.

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
Playsinsnow said:
Don't shoot me for saying this, but I may have the wife take it to a dealer for an "oil change" and have them try to sell her the fix for the light? Then she leaves paying for an oil change, conventional right? Cheapest code reading diagnostic, second set of eyes never hurts. Anything else I wouldn't advise such a thing.

Got some bad news, ma'am. The pinion shaft inside the Murphy box sheared off. Created a big mess that's just waiting to tear apart the transmission. Once that happens, the Johnson rod is likely to fail which will cause your viscosity to break down. We can get you in this afternoon to have it repaired, but it'll be a $1,200 fix. $1,500 if you want factory parts instead of remanufactured parts. You'll have to sign this waiver releasing us from reliability if you choose to leave without having it repaired, it's pretty serious.

Oh yeah, your air filter is dirty too. It'll be $68.95 for us to replace it.

gippy1968

Mar 20, 2012
if the message only comes up when you park with your front tires anything but perfectly straight - toss in a new wheel sensor.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
:rotfl: Exactly. Why I stated for a code read and otherwise never. Figured the oil change is cheaper than the diagnostics would be to have any service light read. If he had a reader sure it would have been done by now. My wife would be smart enough to ask wth any of that has to do with stabiltrak and brakes...

Trailz: Don't you have a buddy at a dealership? Call to get a hookup on a quick scan so you're not throwing unnecessary parts at it?

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
gippy1968 said:
if the message only comes up when you park with your front tires anything but perfectly straight - toss in a new wheel sensor.
Straight or turned... its every time, not like the typical sws.

Playsinsnow said:
:rotfl: Exactly. Why I stated for a code read and otherwise never. Figured the oil change is cheaper than the diagnostics would be to have any service light read. If he had a reader sure it would have been done by now. My wife would be smart enough to ask wth any of that has to do with stabiltrak and brakes...

Trailz: Don't you have a buddy at a dealership? Call to get a hookup on a quick scan?

They are in middle of major remodel and can't get it done. Tried few times but just can't get it to happen.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Dorman sensors are $70+ at rockauto.

Anyone know if you pulled the bad sensors off, is there any harm in going without? The sensors are advertised as stabiltrak problem solvers...

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Playsinsnow said:
Dorman sensors are $70+ at rockauto.

Anyone know if you pulled the bad sensors off, is there any harm in going without? The sensors are advertised as stabiltrak problem solvers...

Is that for a set of 4?

I do not have sensors, so this may be the harm, but cant prove that. Where did you see the sensors are the Stabilitrak solvers? I have seen mention, but no proof or confirmation anywhere of that.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
Is that for a set of 4?

I do not have sensors, so this may be the harm, but cant prove that. Where did you see the sensors are the Stabilitrak solvers? I have seen mention, but no proof or confirmation anywhere of that.

Each, apiece.

More Information for DORMAN 601003

The stabilitrak icon/symbol is presented. My understanding is that part manufacturers will include these that are known as "problem solvers". Will it solve yours? Wish I knew...

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Link not to sensors

jonbo2002

Sep 27, 2012
its the steering wheel position sensor and it does show the stabilitrak light so might be your problem, hit the continue shopping button and it takes you back to the part order

Attachments

• getimage[2].jpg
    getimage[2].jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 46

jonbo2002

Sep 27, 2012
Kyle find out where this part is located and if I can get to one easily I might be able to get you one without having to pay $70+

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I was thinking tpms sensors. My bad

The steering sensor always seems to be shown to come and go not be constant like mine, but could be worth a shot. I get the occsional light on my 06, but this 07 is every start.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
In one of the threads from the OS, one post mentions that a faulty ignition switch could set off a whole Christmas tree of lights (to paraphrase). You mentioned your brakes are in order, fluid too? The only two causes for a service brake light I have read about is either low pad/fluid or an ignition switch. I am sure there are other causes but these were mentioned with stabilitrak issues/light. If you're anything like me, it bugs you more than her! lol

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
So thinking...

Double check brake fluid...got to dream of a simple thing.

Solid possibility of SWPS is dead or a dying Ignition Switch. The radio does not always turn off so that makes me think Ignition possibly. I do have a spare ignition switch I keep in my truck that I can try.

Playsinsnow said:
In one of the threads from the OS, one post mentions that a faulty ignition switch could set off a whole Christmas tree of lights (to paraphrase). You mentioned your brakes are in order, fluid too? The only two causes for a service brake light I have read about is either low pad/fluid or an ignition switch. I am sure there are other causes but these were mentioned with stabilitrak issues/light. If you're anything like me, it bugs you more than her! lol

Thats why I posted that yesterday. Hoping I can get the switch swapped this week and see if it makes a difference.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
A faulty steering wheel position sensor won't set the brake warning light, only the traction control lights.

If you do change SWPS sensor I'd personally advise against a Dorman one. Mine started acting up about a month after installing it before failing completely a few weeks later--a few reviews around the web show I'm not alone on that. Replaced it with another brand and have had no trouble since (6-7months).

I agree with Playsinsnow: low fluid will set the brake and traction control warning lights and chimes. I know it sounds trivially obvious but that's also why it's easily overlooked. A bad level sensor or connector will also set the warnings--especially if they've been knocked around during a recent brake job. Other thoughts would be a bad ground for the EBCM.

There's an article here about using an ELM327 style scanner to check ABS codes:http://gmtnation.com/f93/how-read-a...le-codes-using-terminal-obdii-interface-5005/

Tried it with my $15 cheapo chinese knockoff scanner and it worked.

Reactions: JerryIrons

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
A visit to somebody with a Tech II tool that can bang on the Stabilitrak and ABS systems may be in order. I also don't see TPMS sensors being related at all. On your other radio question from PM, it's almost always a door latch switch/linkage that needs lubrication.

hdodd1

Dec 3, 2011
Was the lights on at every start and staying on.

Yes when I stepped on brake to shift out of park. Cruise didn't become a problem until later.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online