Squeaky Rear Suspension

wootown22

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
The noises have been progressively louder, and more annoying. The front is not squeaky, just the rear when I jump on the rear bumper, drive over bumps, anything that moves the rear axle. Gets even worse when I tow. I think its something in the rear shocks; I'm running BDS 5500, Z71 Springs, Marks 2" lift plus spacer. Possibly the bushings? Sounds like a mattress squeaking when you jump on it hahaha. Does anyone have any experience?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Check your spring isolators to see if they have shifted or not centered into the top of the springs. IIRC that is where they are at.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Id probably say swaybar endlinks, if not then might be the shocks or shock bushings. Swaybar bushings can squeak too, Ive had to re-grease mine a few times.

wootown22

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I think it might be a combination of the shock bushings and bad swaybar end links... theres two different sounds, ones a squeak the others a clunky sound. I think I'll pick up a new set of endlinks and go from there

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
wootown22 said:
I think it might be a combination of the shock bushings and bad swaybar end links... theres two different sounds, ones a squeak the others a clunky sound. I think I'll pick up a new set of endlinks and go from there

I have the same issue but mine is in the front and back. I know I have bad sway links which are the ones making the clunking sound, and my squeaking is coming from my springs. The clunking I have is front and squeak in back. I hope this helps!

ETA- I have stock everything, not sure if that helps you out anymore or less. But wanted to add just in case.

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
My rear shocks make a squeaking sound over bumps. I just don't have the money to replace them right now. If you can lay under the truck and try to listen as someone jumps on it, it may be beneficial. Listen to shocks, pan hard bar, and rear trailing arms.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Rear shocks are not expensive and u can install them urself with ease.

jham

Nov 20, 2011
I would check the bolts to make sure they are tight on the shocks. I had one come loose a while back. And since you use your truck that might be a easy fix for the shock noise.

wootown22

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I finally was able to get under it and take a look. It feels like there is a lot of slack between the shock and the bolt, so it bounces around which seems to be causing the clunk; When it stops raining Ill have to jack it up and see what is going on.

As far as just replacing them, they are only one year old bds 5500s... i would hope I don't need to replace them already... but I did notice what looked like broken seals on them this morning... :hissyfit:

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
wootown22 said:
I finally was able to get under it and take a look. It feels like there is a lot of slack between the shock and the bolt, so it bounces around which seems to be causing the clunk; When it stops raining Ill have to jack it up and see what is going on.

As far as just replacing them, they are only one year old bds 5500s... i would hope I don't need to replace them already... but I did notice what looked like broken seals on them this morning... :hissyfit:

Since I'm running 4 month old BDS 5500s, I hope thats not your problem. The good news is the BDS "No BS Hardcore Lifetime Warranty".
If you are the original purchaser of any BDS product and it breaks, we will give you a new part. Period.
Although they do state, "BDS Suspension Co. warrants to the original retail purchaser that its shock and stabilizer cylinders are free from defects in material and workmanship for so long as they own the vehicle. Excluded from this warranty are the finish of the product and mounting bushings. Defects in material and workmanship do not include such things as dented cylinders or bent rods caused by obvious side impact, rust, worn or deformed bushings. A shock absorber is a wear item and over time will experience diminished damping resistance due to normal component wear. This is not a defect in material or workmanship and is therefore not warrantable."

I'd argue that 1 year of shock life isn't a wear problem, its defective. Bushings aren't covered, but they're not the expensive parts. :biggrin:

Good luck.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
randybill

Members Online