Squeaking front end

cretecrawler

Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
Citrus Springs Florida
I have noticed a fair amount of squeaking in the front end of my 02 Envoy SLE with 112XXX miles on her. I just had the sway bar end links replaced when I bought her 4,000 miles ago. Any ideas on where to look next would be greatly appreciated.

Dale

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Check to make sure a link did not come loose first. it happens.

Could be bushing in control arms. or the coil isolator.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Check anything that moves. Ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings, etc. Is it a metal-on-metal type of squeak or more of a rubbery squeak?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
More likely a bushing then. Check control arm bushings and the sway bar bushings for starters. My lower control arm bushings on the passenger side would squeak when flexed a lot (such as backing out of a driveway that was at a steeper angle to the road).

smt 59

Look to see if the LCA bushing is pushing out forward, if this is the case they require replacement. The drivers side is usually the culprit.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Did you happen to spray them with anything prior to them squeaking? When you had the sway bar links installed did they spray it with anything I'm assuming all this happened after those links were installed....did they replace the large bushings as well?

cretecrawler

Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
Citrus Springs Florida
Did you happen to spray them with anything prior to them squeaking? When you had the sway bar links installed did they spray it with anything I'm assuming all this happened after those links were installed....did they replace the large bushings as well?
I was not present when they were installed so I do not know if they sprayed them. I have noticed that the squeak is more pronounced when it is wet out (rainy). It has dried up for a few days now and there is no squeak at all. I did not notice a squeak b4 they were installed but the vehicle did a lot of highway lane "wandering" which prompted the sway bar end link replacement. I normally do all the work myself but we had just bought it so it was covered by the seller. I just had the oil changed by a different shop and the mechanic (long trusted by the wifey) stated he found nothing wrong in the frt end.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86