Spark plugs

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Wondering how many 5.3 owners have followed the suggested 100k mile plug change. At 104k I just pulled a plug for a look see and was surprised how good it looked(I know, LOOKED).
Just wondering if it's worth the aggravation of the pita job. Or should I wait for performance issues.
My only concern is if I wait too long they might be a bitch to get out(they are anyways) but I mean thread lock. What say you?....Mike.

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
My only concern is if I wait too long they might be a bitch to get out(they are anyways) but I mean thread lock.

That would be concern also. I bought my truck with 245,000 KMs and with no history I pulled out one plug, it looked good to me, but...

I replaced all the plugs because the one I did take out was a bit on the tough side to unscrew. The new ones I coated the threads with some anti-seize before I installed them. No performance improvement, but I do have peace of mind now.

Reactions: northcreek

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
That would be concern also. I bought my truck with 245,000 KMs and with no history I pulled out one plug, it looked good to me, but...

I replaced all the plugs because the one I did take out was a bit on the tough side to unscrew. The new ones I coated the threads with some anti-seize before I installed them. No performance improvement, but I do have peace of mind now.
Thanks, The one I removed was a little stiff coming out too. Did you destroy any wires? Mine was stuck on there pretty good. I got it off but, don't know if I could be that lucky 7 more times...Mike.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I just yanked the plugs on my coworker's 04 Silverado with 150k and original plugs. Those things were pretty well roasted.

I think by the time they start looking bad they're REALLY bad. I'd just replace them. Heck, on my i6 in the TB even though they didn't look bad at 100k there was a noticeable improvement.

The plugs in my coworker's 04 full size weren't bad to do at all. I guess the engine bay in the TB is a fair bit smaller so does that make it a pain?

Admittedly I haven't checked the plugs in my 07 Silverado, and it has 146k on it. It has been running great so haven't thought much of it, but I really don't actually know if they were replaced or not (bought it with 128k so it should have been, but there's no saying for sure).

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I've decided to just do it . Got a good deal on ACDelco OE wires on Ebay and will get the plugs from RA, ACDelco has a plug rebate going on now so it's a good time to do it for not too much $$...Mike.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
I used one of these to remove the plug wires from the plug.
Their is very little room to get your hands in there to remove the plug wires.
The large one is just the right size to grip the shield at the groove, a twist and pull an off it comes, no broken wire, no busted knuckles.

And you can also use them to remove hoses too!
41gliCJ%2B55L.jpg

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Did the change today plugs/wires, and with C-ya's thread it really wasn't too bad. One thing that I did different was remove the windshield washer tank which really exposes a lot of passenger side 5.3 real estate.
As someone stated it's easy to ruin a plug wire and I ruined #6 upon removal but, I was a little heavy handed knowing that I had a new set of wires handy.
Seemed to be a little quicker after the change but, probably just the placebo effect ...hell it seems faster when I wax it...Mike.

Reactions: C-ya

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Don't mean to bump the thread with a slightly off topic question, but, for the sake of curiosity.....what would happen if you were say running 7 Iridium plugs and the 8th was a Platinum plug? I can't imagine there would be that big of a difference would it?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The platinum plug would not last as long I imagine. I had that situation in my 5.3 where the previous owner replaced just the one plug with a platinum. Ran fine otherwise. Would be better if they're all the same though.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Ahh alright Moose man. Thanks for the clarification! That's how my truck was when I first got it, owner did the tune up and left the factory plug on #4 that had a nonexistent tip. Then it happened again when lifter #4 collapsed and the dealer put a platinum plug back into it. 4 just seems so unlucky.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
That's how my truck was when I first got it, owner did the tune up and left the factory plug on #4 that had a nonexistent tip. .
Not sure I know what this means :confused: Mike.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Was worn to nothing or broken off.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Was worn to nothing or broken off.
aahh...I get it, now wondering why the previous owner would have done that since #4 is not the hardest plug to get at...relatively speaking. Mike.

Reactions: DAlastDON

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Who really knows, they managed to get to the other ones just fine. They put autolite double platinums and i just remember how rough the idle was. Not looking forward to going back in there to swap out the platinum plug again.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Who really knows, they managed to get to the other ones just fine. They put autolite double platinums and i just remember how rough the idle was. Not looking forward to going back in there to swap out the platinum plug again.
If you remove the air filter box(the bottom is the w/w fluid reservoir) you get a better look at no. 4 as well as 2.....Mike.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
I imagine something like this might help if you're having trouble getting the wires off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DTX4G40/?tag=gmtnation-20

Thanks Sparky! I'll definitely pick one of these up. Not sure why I didn't think of it when I first did the tune up last summer.

If you remove the air filter box(the bottom is the w/w fluid reservoir) you get a better look at no. 4 as well as 2.....Mike.

That's what we did, can't remember if it was #4 or 6 that was almost lined up with the strut. We managed it last summer, just wasn't looking forward to going back in there again so soon.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm my case, it was #1. I got a misfire on it when I pressure washed the engine prior to my valvetrain job. Previous owner replaced the one plug and wire. Wound up being a missing weatherpack connector seal at the coil.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
That's what we did, can't remember if it was #4 or 6 that was almost lined up with the strut. We managed it last summer, just wasn't looking forward to going back in there again so soon.

#2 is lined up with the strut. If you need to get to #4, use a long extension and a universal and go right behind and below the upper control arm. See my thread linked in a previous post (of mine) above.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Yeah, that's what I found, you still have to go through the wheel well to remove the plug. Removing the reservoir helps you with the wire part. Mike

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Got around to changing out the spark plug. Not exactly happy, the dealer that replaced the passenger side lifters charged me for a "Platinum" plug, when they just reused my existing Iridium's (I checked the Driver side as a precaution).

I had to replace the plugs on #2 and #4, the porcelain cracked on both because they over torqued the hell out of them.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online